Bright Invention

saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
edited September 13, 2007 in People
I was intently behind my camera Sunday at a family get-together when my great-nephew Lukas (22 months old) appeared inches from my face pretending to be taking my picture. I just quickly snapped at point blank and of course he was so dang close I wasn't sure it would be in focus, which it wasn't. But I had to share anyway 'cause it made me laugh at his ingenuity! (Check out the shutter finger!) The focus landed on his hands and sprinkler more than his eyes, so I tried a bundle of things to bring the focus on his eyes. Eventually I converted to B&W as the color and contrast was just bleah. Used a high-pass (at what point I can't remember) as I wasn't liking anything I was getting and I brushed away on that layer on the forehead and hands to soften. Did a curves layer on his eyes to bring them out of the shady, flat lighting and to brighten. Then lassoed the eyes to USM. And a very slight gaussine vignette to enhance the OOF areas and sharpen the middle. I think it sorta worked.

194610002-L.jpg

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited September 12, 2007
    Wonderful, shot. clap.gif It doesn't look improvised in the least. BTW, is that a Canon or a Nikon? I don't recognize the model. :D

Cheers,
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    Thanks Richard! I don't know, could it be the new 40D??? I like the chrome finish on it .... I wonder if it uses white lenses? :D
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    I love it!! Very nice treatment.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    All that work, I can't imagine what the original looked like!
    Turned out real nice!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    SUPER!!!! capture. This is an heirloom...instantly. What exactly is he holding?

At least he hasn't been infiltrated by soooo much modern tech yet. Else he would be shooting at arms length and maybe at himself for a myspace type shot!!!lol
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    Wonderful shot Aurora... Almost whished I would have shot it.
    His eyes are now surely sharp enough... Love it!
    A kid shot for a practice of a pediatrician...
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    I like it....Very impressive!!!!!!!! AZZARO
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    SUPER!!!! capture. This is an heirloom...instantly. What exactly is he holding?

At least he hasn't been infiltrated by soooo much modern tech yet. Else he would be shooting at arms length and maybe at himself for a myspace type shot!!!lol

Thanks Jeff...he's holding an old-fashioned sprinkler head for watering your lawn. :D
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    I think you did a great job, i see no faults, unless you want to post an original :D
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    This is such a cool shot! thumb.gif I can see the line of demarcation on his forehead, but I didn't notice it until after I read your post-processing steps. You did an amazing job. Doesn't look like you did more than convert to B&W, really. :D
    Llywellyn wrote:
    This is such a cool shot! thumb.gif I can see the line of demarcation on his forehead, but I didn't notice it until after I read your post-processing steps. You did an amazing job. Doesn't look like you did more than convert to B&W, really. :D

Boy, you are right! That's what happens when I work late at night and my eyes are strained! Guess I will touch that up tonight. Thanks!
    Reworked....hopefully better! 195037740-L-1.jpg
  • CheriegCherieg Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    that was a can't miss shot. so glad you got it! smart kid.
  • Pixel PopperPixel Popper Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2007
    Great capture. It does so much more than "sorta works." It's definitely one to hang on to! He'll love that shot in years to come.
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    Very cool. A protege for sure.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    This is a great shot! As others have already said, this will be one that family will come back to for years and years. And, just think, when he becomes a famous movie director, you get to say that you gave him his start!
  • Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    Great capture Susan. Gotta love it. wings.gif :ivar :D
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    Very nice capture.

I like the B&W conversion also.thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin