Opinion on lens buying strategy

jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
edited September 12, 2007 in Cameras
My scenario. I freelance for the local paper and I will be shooting indoor sports, ie volleyball and Basketball. I can use flash for basketball, but volleyball, I can't in certain situations. I can if I am in the stands or at the end of the courts.

I have been using a friends 70-200 2.8 for volleyball, but I am just not happy with the results and I still have to use flash to supplement it. I probably need to use a monopod.

Question: I am on a very limited budget so I have to maximise my purchases. Would the 50mm 1.8 do me well? I have thought of getting a 70-200 2.8, but as I already have that range with my 18-200 and i can use flash for football games, I would rather put that money towards a bigger zoom. I think with the 50 mm, I could get shots around the net and on the floor and give the paper different shots besides from the ends of the court. Also, I could use it for football and soccer for shots around the sideline when it gets too dark for the 18-200.

I figure with the 50 mm 1.8, I can get good pictures in low light. With my 18-200 VR, I have a great all purpose lens, and the money I would spend on the 70-200, I can get a Bigma or maybe the nikon 200-400 VR down the road. Or even the 70-200 VR Nikon as well if the VR will help with shots in the 120-160 shutterspeed range. Thoughts?

Comments

• Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2007
    What exactly do you mean by "not happy with the results"?

If you want to shoot indor sports you will not be able to
    freeze the action unless you're using heavy flash support
    when using your slow zoom lens. You will need fast glass like
    a 50/1.4 or 1.8 better a 85mm/1.4 and a 135mm/2.0.
    A f2.8 lens often wont cut it and a monopod will also not
    help you because it only makes the camera steady but not
    freeze the action ... depending on the lighting situation.
    What shutter speeds do you get with your current lenses?

I suggest to go over to http://www.sportsshooter.com
    or use the search function to find out what other ppl
    use for sports.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    Indoor and night sports really require f2.8 at least and ISO 1600-3200 to get action stopping shutter speeds. You might have to time your shots more carefully if you use much slower lenses. Flash will help but you may be in trouble if even the players, coaches or officials don't want the use of flash during the game.

The Nikkor 50mm, f1.8D is a sweet lens but none too fast to focus. You might be able to use it by constantly pre-focussing prior to a shot. (That lens relies on the camera's focus motor to autofocus.)

The Nikkor 85mm, f1.8D is another lens to look at with a bit more range and intimacy than the 50mm. (Same autofocus speed I believe.)

Ideally, I would recommend the Nikon D2H/D2Hs or possibly the D200 as a minimum camera for indoor/night sports photography. Your rate of "keepers" would dramatically improve because of the increased responsiveness of those cameras.

Of course the Nikon D3 may turn out to be the "darling" of Nikon sports shooters with all of its wonderful new features. thumb.gif

Good luck!
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    I shoot volleyball with a Nikkor 85mm, f1.4 lens on my D2Xs. The only drawback is that this lens is not a fast focuser. Even at f1.4, I shoot with auto ISO to keep my shutterspeeds high enough to freeze the action. I am not allowed to use any flash during the games.

I think your 50mm lens will be too short. The 85mm, f1.8 may be adequate for your purposes, but it is not AF-S either.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    Thanks for the replies and thoughts. I would love to get the new D3, but that is ways off. I have a very limited budget but need something for low light now. With a price of around $100, I was thinking the 50mm 1.8 lens could get me some shots, although I would have to closer to the action.

Knowing I would upgrade later one, I figure this would not be a big investment.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    jonh68 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies and thoughts. I would love to get the new D3, but that is ways off. I have a very limited budget but need something for low light now. With a price of around $100, I was thinking the 50mm 1.8 lens could get me some shots, although I would have to closer to the action.

Knowing I would upgrade later one, I figure this would not be a big investment.

You cannot go wrong with that lens and you will find uses for it. I am not sure that action/sports is going to work like you think, but I say "go for it". Honestly, you could do much worse.

Eventually you will probably want to purchase some additional, potentally much better, stuff. Photography can get terribly expensive, and sports photographers tend to get very pricey components.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    I don't have expectations for it to be a wonder lens for sports. A small part of my shooting is low light so I have to weight it with cost/benefit. If it can get me some useful shots for $100, I'll take it.