Options

Trying Andy's advice re ski pictures

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited February 28, 2005 in Sports
I told him I was going skiing and Andy suggested using the widest glass I had and stationing myself low and downhill from a place where good skiers would do someting interesting and shoot up. These are with my 16-35 2.8L looking up at "High Boy", the steep entry in High Rustler. I suppose this is the most famous place at Alta and it gets a lot of traffic. Unfortunately, this was Tuesday so the younger crowd, more prone to getting airbourne over the top wasn't there. I did get two shots of very solid skiers:

16650271-L.jpg

Notice the open wrist of the downhill pole plant. This is really nice sking. The pole plant releases easily this way, preventing it from pulling the shoulder back. The idea is to keep the uppper body facing downhill; the worst thing that can happen is to end up turned around with that shoulder back after the turn.

16650309-L.jpg

Again, very nice. This guy has a nice aggressive forward stance in a very steep turn.

16650717-L.jpg

Nice view, but the skiing is a B- at best. I think he did a double pole plant at the top of his turn, and the result is that his whole uppper body has been pulled back. As in so many sports, you want the ready position with weight on the balls of the feet and knees bent. Getting back like this steps on the accelorator just when you want the brakes, which are in the fronts of the skis.

Lesson for the photographer: bring your own skiers.
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    fantastic, rutt! the exposures are really good, and of course the wb. both of which are tricky as you noted a while back... congrats on fine fine job i really like these skiing shots!

oh and did any of this
    16666688-Ti.gif

happen to you?

and i hope certainly not this lol3.gif
    16666686-S.gif
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 28, 2005
    very cool rutt. they're making me dizzy (Laughing.gif)
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    andy wrote:
    fantastic, rutt! the exposures are really good, and of course the wb. both of which are tricky as you noted a while back... congrats on fine fine job i really like these skiing shots!

oh and did any of this
    skier.gif

happen to you?

and i hope certainly not this lol3.gif
    skiaccident.gif
    Thanks! I don't think your emoticons are working, though. Maybe that's a good thing. I'm going to miss Alta until I can get back there again.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 28, 2005
    rutt, you sound like my mom (a former ski instructor) rolleyes1.gif

are you taking photos or coaching!? lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Thanks! I don't think your emoticons are working, though. Maybe that's a good thing. I'm going to miss Alta until I can get back there again.

maybe itsa browser thing. or the site didn't like hotlinking. i now linked 'em from my site. enjoy lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    rutt, you sound like my mom (a former ski instructor) rolleyes1.gif

are you taking photos or coaching!? lol3.gif
    I just love to ski and a big part of it is looking at other skiers and trying to figure out what they are doing right and/or wrong. Watching good skiers is the best thing you can do for your own skiing, especially if you can "visualize" yourself doing it. It's a little dangerous to watch bad skiers, as the visualization thing is powerful. But if you can see what they are doing wrong, it can help.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 28, 2005
    Really nice Rutt thumb.gifthumb.gif

Sorry you missed out on the young hotdoggers, maybe it was for the best. I'm not so sure I'd be lying low in the middle of a run with a bunch of crazed youngsters barreling down it. You got some nice shots and didn't wind up having to be resuced by the Ski Patrol. I'd call it a really good day rolleyes1.gif

As Andy wrote, really good exposures and wb, too clap.gif

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero