Options

Converting to B&W???

Stella BellaStella Bella Registered Users Posts: 104 Big grins
edited September 17, 2007 in Finishing School
I'm having problems when I convert my color photos to b&w (in PS). I know that there are different ways of doing this and wondered if I could get some advice. Sure, its easy to push the "convert to greyscale" setting, but my pictures are just blah. I try to adjust the contrast, but still not what I'm looking for. TIA.

Kat

Comments

• Options
    mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2007
    I'm having problems when I convert my color photos to b&w (in PS). I know that there are different ways of doing this and wondered if I could get some advice. Sure, its easy to push the "convert to greyscale" setting, but my pictures are just blah. I try to adjust the contrast, but still not what I'm looking for. TIA.

Kat

Here's a tutorial one of the resident pros wrote:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1126557
  • Options
    mwgrice wrote:
    Here's a tutorial one of the resident pros wrote:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1126557

Thanks!! There is so much info here. I love it.
  • Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    One of the finest B&W conversion methods, to me, is the one proposed by
    Greg Gorman. Go to his website (www.greggorman.com) and click the Learn
    link. You'll find a PDF there describing his method. It's really exceptional.
  • Options
    pyrtek wrote:

Thank you. I will definitely check it out.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    Kat - You need to explore more here on dgrin.:D

Among the links in the Sticky at the top of the Finishing School Forum is a post by Andy, with dozens of links, many of which are directly concerned with B&W conversions - here

The book review and discussion thread about Dan Margulis's Professional Photoshop Fifth Edition is here and much of it relates to B&W conversion.

In particular, my review of Chapter 7 "Keeping the Color in B&W" concerns B&W conversion in greater detail.

If you do a search here on dgrin for "B&W conversion" you will get over a dozen pages of links.:ivar

Why give a person a fish, if you can teach them to fish for themslevesthumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    pyrtek wrote:

The link for Greg Gorman is incorrect. It should be www.gormanphotography.com. The link given is for a Florida real estate agent! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    OffTopic wrote:
    The link for Greg Gorman is incorrect. It should be www.gormanphotography.com. The link given is for a Florida real estate agent! rolleyes1.gif

Check out his workshops. Awesome. Got a web gallery from the last one (but it is rated R as it is a nude shooting photo workshop).
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    Somewhere I saw an article about Gorman's studio in California - a full two stories with indoor and outdoor lighting stages, full kitchen and dining area. He has a full staff including make up artists, lighting people, computer and Photoshop crews, quite impressive.

Andy said he had a full time caterer as well.thumb.gif

I would think that his workshops would be excellent if you were well prepared before hand. I might be more than a little imtimidated at this point in my portrait skills.

I see you were a guest speaker for his workshop in August, Andrew.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2007
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    AardAard Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 15, 2007
    I use the BW conversion actions from http://www.1clickactions.com but then wrote my own action to create a contact sheet of some of the options. I then pick the best image from the contact and run the chosen action on my image.
    Sometimes its possible to have too many choices.
  • Options
    Mark SegalMark Segal Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 16, 2007
    As noted above, there are umpteen approaches for converting images to B&W. The two that I like best, for their ease of use, flexibility and quality are:

(1) TheImagingFactory plug-in "Convert to Black and White Pro", which costs some money (NOToutrageous), which I implement on a duplicate image layer allowing me to adjust it independently in many ways, or

(2) Bundled with Photoshop CS3, the new Black and White Adjustment Layer - an excellent algorithm that allows plenty of control and produces fine results.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2007
    Mark Segal wrote:
    (2) Bundled with Photoshop CS3, the new Black and White Adjustment Layer - an excellent algorithm that allows plenty of control and produces fine results.

I was wondering why no one mentioned that earlier. The Black and White adjustment layer in Photoshop CS3 and feature in Lightroom seems to give the best results with the most photographer-friendly UI for hue>tone mapping, and in just one step. All the other methods are good and useful, but compared to Black and White, they all look like the long way around now.
  • Options
    edited September 17, 2007
    What about with CS2....is their a similar option?
  • Options
    HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    colourbox wrote:
    I was wondering why no one mentioned that earlier. The Black and White adjustment layer in Photoshop CS3 and feature in Lightroom seems to give the best results with the most photographer-friendly UI for hue>tone mapping, and in just one step. All the other methods are good and useful, but compared to Black and White, they all look like the long way around now.

thumb.gif I agree. I've tried most if not all the methods mentioned above and found this (new) feature to have great results with maximum control of the colors and range of conversion for each. I then add a step I read somewhere: Create a new Adj layer>Selective Color, choose black from the drop-down menu and crank it up. Sometimes just a bit and sometimes quite a lot. This really buries the blacks, if you're trying to do that. Works great.

I don't think it is in CS2, one of the changes to CS3.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    What about with CS2....is their a similar option?

For CS2, all of the other suggestions in this thread are great. They were the best ways to do it...before CS3 came along.