Charleston, SC - IR

CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
edited August 9, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Been away for awhile but just recently got back from a trip to Charleston, South Carolina. Good food, great scenery, mosquitos and spiders as big as your hand. If you're ever down that way Jack's Cosmic Dogs in Mt Pleasant is a must. And now I've got CS3 to play with :barb .

Just a few of my favorites. I can't quite remember all of the specifics regarding locations but at least can get the general area (one of these days I'll start carrying a journal :scratch )

Rest of the gallery can be viewed here, Charleston

If I remember correctly this one is at St. Phillips, Cemetery West.
195057643-L.jpg

This one is of Philadelphia Alley which runs behind(?) St. Phillips. Almost missed it and you'd walk right by it if you weren't paying attention. It's called Philadelphia Alley because the citizens of Philadelphia helped pay for restoration of the general area after a fire destroyed most of the area back in the late 1800's.
195058063-L.jpg

This one is one of the real reasons I love IR photos. Taken at Middleton Plantation. My wife, Liz and I just happened along this pond in an obscure section of the property. Really not photogenic at all in color or black and white. More of a swamp than a pond but this really jumped out at me because I knew it would look really cool in IR (and unfortunately I didn't get a color photo for comparison - it was really hot and really humid and my brain was kinda fried, plus there was that whole spider thing creeping me out :twitch)
195058988-L.jpg

And for any of you guys that might be fans of the mini-series North and South, this one is from Boone Hall Plantation where they filmed some of it. Looking from the plantation house back down what they call the Avenue of Oaks.
195060359-L.jpg

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2007
    Been away for awhile but just recently got back from a trip to Charleston, South Carolina. Good food, great scenery, mosquitos and spiders as big as your hand. If you're ever down that way Jack's Cosmic Dogs in Mt Pleasant is a must. And now I've got CS3 to play with wings.gif .

Just a few of my favorites. I can't quite remember all of the specifics regarding locations but at least can get the general area (one of these days I'll start carrying a journal headscratch.gif )

Rest of the gallery can be viewed here, Charleston

If I remember correctly this one is at St. Phillips, Cemetery West.

This one is of Philadelphia Alley which runs behind(?) St. Phillips. Almost missed it and you'd walk right by it if you weren't paying attention. It's called Philadelphia Alley because the citizens of Philadelphia helped pay for restoration of the general area after a fire destroyed most of the area back in the late 1800's.

This one is one of the real reasons I love IR photos. Taken at Middleton Plantation. My wife, Liz and I just happened along this pond in an obscure section of the property. Really not photogenic at all in color or black and white. More of a swamp than a pond but this really jumped out at me because I knew it would look really cool in IR (and unfortunately I didn't get a color photo for comparison - it was really hot and really humid and my brain was kinda fried, plus there was that whole spider thing creeping me out :twitch)

And for any of you guys that might be fans of the mini-series North and South, this one is from Boone Hall Plantation where they filmed some of it. Looking from the plantation house back down what they call Thousand(?) Oaks Drive.

Nice work Chris..... I really like the last 2 shots clap.gif
    IR is a heap of fun, looks like you had a great time .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2007
    Thanks Skippy,

Now that I'm seeing the results of the trip I guess I can say I did have a good time.
  • jerrykrjerrykr Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited September 14, 2007
    nice shots, i love the oaks.
    -=- Jerry -=-
    For Comprehensive info on Infrared Photography.

Visit my Site - Infrared Photography Buzz
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    very beautiful photographs clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    Howdy Chris,

Very nicely done, great subjects and compostitions.

your copyright info takes a little away from the image though, drawing the eye away from the main point of focus.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    Thanks Craig,

The watermark is a minor imperfection I could do without but certainly am willing to live with if it slows down anyone interested in "borrowing" my images without permission. I "tested" several versions of it (transparancy, location, etc) and came up with what I consider to be one that is visible enough but should not detract from the majority of my images.
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy Chris,

Very nicely done, great subjects and compostitions.

your copyright info takes a little away from the image though, drawing the eye away from the main point of focus.
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    Thanks Craig,

The watermark is a minor imperfection I could do without but certainly am willing to live with if it slows down anyone interested in "borrowing" my images without permission. I "tested" several versions of it (transparancy, location, etc) and came up with what I consider to be one that is visible enough but should not detract from the majority of my images.
    Howdy Chris,

I certainly understand, and they are your images to present them the way you like them and see them. I am forever making my images darker than most enjoy, but that's the way I like and see the end result.

I guess since I don't sell my images and they are for my enjoyment I don't think about people "borrowing them" and so I am not concerned with having to mark my images, just different thoughts and goals, I guess.

Regardless, wonderful images, very nicely presented.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Pixel PopperPixel Popper Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2007
    Forgive my ignorance on the subject, as I am a relative newbie, but I wonder if you might explain more about IR? I'm guessing it stands for infra-red. To me, that suggests a method of being able to capture images in the dark, but I could be completely misguided on that assumption.

So, were these night time shots? I see some shadows that suggest day time shots, or a very bright moon. Just curious.

Thanks! (very cool imagery, by the way!)
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2007
    Gads! Great eye for seeing it then making it happen.
    Michael
    edited September 16, 2007
    Forgive my ignorance on the subject, as I am a relative newbie, but I wonder if you might explain more about IR? I'm guessing it stands for infra-red. To me, that suggests a method of being able to capture images in the dark, but I could be completely misguided on that assumption.

So, were these night time shots? I see some shadows that suggest day time shots, or a very bright moon. Just curious.

Thanks! (very cool imagery, by the way!)

Thank you, glad you liked them.

IR does stand for Infrared. And yes you could take images in the dark. It would require some long exposures and a tripod but it can be done. I have yet to play with that aspect of it yet and the images shown were taken during the day.

Fellow D-Grinner jerrykr has a great site that goes into the details of IR stuff, www.irbuzz.blogspot.com/. The guys at Lifepixel did the modification to my Nikon D50 and their site has some really good info on the modification processes, www.lifepixel.com.

Thanks again,
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    I really like the looks of the last shot. Nice work!!
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Very nicely done. Charleston is perhaps my favorite city ( just ahead of Savannah ) to visit and photograph. You can never run out of interesting stuff to shoot....especially the architecture of the buildings. However, I NEVER go there in the heat of the Summer. The heat, plus the humidity, will absolutely take you down. It sounds like you found that out. Go in mid to late Fall or early Spring and the place is heaven.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.