Options

Color Mode

blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
edited February 28, 2005 in Technique
I have switched my color mode in PS CS to Adobe 1998 (per the book from Scott Kilby) but everytime I open a picture it says that it has a embedded profile and it will use that instead of the Adobe 1998.

Any idea's how to fix this?

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    Sounds like your camera is recording in sRGB. You can try to change that in the camera. Failing that, just switch PS back to using sRGB. I personally shoot and edit in sRGB as I have not seen the benefit of using anything else so far.
    I have switched my color mode in PS CS to Adobe 1998 (per the book from Scott Kilby) but everytime I open a picture it says that it has a embedded profile and it will use that instead of the Adobe 1998.

Any idea's how to fix this?
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    Photoshop->Preferences->Color Settings will give you access to more control than you really can use. If you shoot in RAW, it doesn't matter, the profile is added when you save. I think Shay is right, unless you have a very specific reason, stick with sRGB for jpgs you are going to share on the web. For prints, well, if you want the best quality, you have to worry about being within the CMYK gamut of the device. If you use sRGB and make a trip through CMYK before saving to tiff, psd, or jpeg2k, you preserve the information to make good prints.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    Thanks I just went back to sRGB. I was just reading through that book from Scott Kilby and he suggests changing it from the default sRGB to Adobe RGB 1998.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    Adobe RGB is better theoretically, but in a practical sense, most labs people have access to all print using sRGB, so all the other profiles just add steps to the workflow that don't wind up making it to the print.

And besides, sRGB has a wider gamut than any printer one is likely to use, cmyk or otherwise ;-)
    Thanks I just went back to sRGB. I was just reading through that book from Scott Kilby and he suggests changing it from the default sRGB to Adobe RGB 1998.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    Thanks for you help guys. I'll stick to sRGB