30D User Settings

CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
edited October 6, 2007 in Cameras
I'm just curious as to what other people are using for their settings. I find the standard and faithful a little dull.

If I shoot RAW do the settings even matter?
Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited September 13, 2007
    RTP wrote:
    I'm just curious as to what other people are using for their settings. I find the standard and faithful a little dull.

If I shoot RAW do the settings even matter?

No, the settings only affect the camera produced JPG.
  • zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2007
    i shoot alot of Jpeg so all i do is re adjust the standard setting to be flat, all sliders are centered.. i then post process in Photoshop.
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    No, the settings only affect the camera produced JPG.

This does not seem true. I shot RAW, bumped all settings to the right, opened Digital Photo Professional and saw that the parameters I was using were captured.
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 6, 2007
    RTP wrote:
    This does not seem true. I shot RAW, bumped all settings to the right, opened Digital Photo Professional and saw that the parameters I was using were captured.

It is true that DPP will allow you to use those settings, but you can also choose to disregard those settings and, in that case, you have full control of the RAW without any parameters or controls engaged. This is not like JPG where you cannot reverse the in-camera processing used.

Most RAW converters will by design disregard any in-camera settings altogether.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums