Have I Told You Lately?

darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
edited September 14, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Dear SmugMug:

You know, we've been together for more than 3 years.

When it comes to a steady, reliable site for posting photos, and providing me with an unbelievable feature set for sharing/password-protecting/selling/displaying/customizing them, you're the one I still recommend to people.

Sometimes, you know, I wish your many settings weren't so hard to find. But I understand it's hard, when you're always adding new features. I still wish that there was a button inside each gallery that let me customize it, instead of that drop-down menu that hides all of its options inside.

And I have to confess, in the last year, I haven't spent much time with you at all, instead fawning over this Phanfare site that supports video so nicely, and has a fancy desktop background uploading client for Mac and Windows.

But in the end, you're still the tops. I just wish I could change that Video column in this spreadsheet to something better than MPEG-1:

Big Honking Photo Sharing Site Comparison

Love, Darryl

But seriously folks -- please have a look at this matrix I've put together. I was evaluating sharing sites for my kid's preschool, and SmugMug really comes out on top (it doesn't hurt that they're generous with the Pro accounts for non-profits). I'd *love* your feedback, corrections, and if you can help me fill in any of the blanks. I spent a lot of time researching all of it, but I'm sure there will be yet another sharing site out in a few days, too.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2007
    Hi Darrly,

Great post, you made us smile :)

We iloveyou.gif you too!

So hey, we know the video sucks, and we'd love to see an improvement - and our engineers do, too. I hope that we'll have something really, really good one day soon. Your patience (and everyone's) on this has been amazing. Hold on longer, please.

Minor nit - we offer three account levels: Standard at $39.95, Power at $59.95 and the pro at $149.95.

Thanks again for being our customer!
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    Also any account can be uploaded to by email I think.

Customer Support - What about Dgrin?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Darrly,

Great post, you made us smile :)

We iloveyou.gif you too!

So hey, we know the video sucks, and we'd love to see an improvement - and our engineers do, too. I hope that we'll have something really, really good one day soon. Your patience (and everyone's) on this has been amazing. Hold on longer, please.

Minor nit - we offer three account levels: Standard at $39.95, Power at $59.95 and the pro at $149.95.

Thanks again for being our customer!

Whoops. Fixed.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2007
    Interesting matrix, looks like it could be really useful. A couple of things I noticed: for uploading to SM I know of several other options beyond Star Explorer. There are a couple of freebies offered in the hacks area, the SmugBrowser FF plugin, and scripts for IMatch I know of off the top of my head--and have used.

Also, you might want to add Zenfolio to the matrix in the interest of comlpeteness. They seem to be targeting SM from their feature set.
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    Interesting matrix, looks like it could be really useful. A couple of things I noticed: for uploading to SM I know of several other options beyond Star Explorer. There are a couple of freebies offered in the hacks area, the SmugBrowser FF plugin, and scripts for IMatch I know of off the top of my head--and have used.

Also, you might want to add Zenfolio to the matrix in the interest of comlpeteness. They seem to be targeting SM from their feature set.

Ah Zenfolio -- that's one I was trying to remember. Thanks.

I included Star Explorer because I was specifically trying to compare full-feature Desktop upload clients. If you ever have a chance, at least check out the screenshots and feature set of Phanfare's client. It is really really nice with the background uploading and such.

OTOH, with Picasa integration, maybe Smugmug wins after all. Gotta check that out, see if it supports captions, etc. I really do love Picasa.
  • RichardJohnRichardJohn Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    darryl wrote:
    Ah Zenfolio -- that's one I was trying to remember. Thanks.

I included Star Explorer because I was specifically trying to compare full-feature Desktop upload clients. If you ever have a chance, at least check out the screenshots and feature set of Phanfare's client. It is really really nice with the background uploading and such.

OTOH, with Picasa integration, maybe Smugmug wins after all. Gotta check that out, see if it supports captions, etc. I really do love Picasa.

Supports captions and also geotagging with Google Earth :D