stefanie in the garage

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited September 14, 2007 in People
Still playing around with garage lighting. My daughter was all dressed and ready for temple early today.

Any comments?

195351146-L.jpg

195351389-L.jpg

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 13, 2007
    Stephanie is a doll, and you've captured her well. She practically jumps out of the picture. thumb.gif

If you don't mine me asking, what kind of garage setup are we talking here? I have a couple of little subjects, and I'm not particularly happy with my portraiture so far.

Thanks,
    -joel
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    Beautiful, Mitchell. I really love this lighting, and would like to hear how to set it up.

She is really growing up, isn't she?

ann
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    Excellent DOF controll IMO.
  • imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2007
    I wish I still had my garage..........

Here's a guy who works out of his garage and appears to be quite successful at it.

http://www.headshot-photography.com/

Looks like you are well on your way to joining him. Nice job...clap.gif

joe
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    Very nice lighting, Mitch. I like the cropping you've done also. She sure is getting pretty! The garage door makes for a wonderful big light source. The 2nd shot looks warmer, did you do anything different? Any reflectors?
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    I love the composition/cropping on the second one - it really works for me. Oh and BTW - you daughter is quite pretty and I predict she'll blossom into a complete stunner very soon. Be prepared!
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    kdog wrote:
    Stephanie is a doll, and you've captured her well. She practically jumps out of the picture. thumb.gif

If you don't mine me asking, what kind of garage setup are we talking here? I have a couple of little subjects, and I'm not particularly happy with my portraiture so far.

Thanks,
    -joel

Joel, thanks for looking at these. There is nothing complicated about these shots. I stuck a chair in my garage, opened the door, and took the pictures. I used no additional lighting or light modifiers.

I've stolen the poses from Kevyn Major Howard. He is a pro who does this type of lighting for professional head shots. Look at his portfolio for some inspiration.
    http://www.headshot-photography.com/portfolio.htm
    imax wrote:
    I wish I still had my garage..........

Here's a guy who works out of his garage and appears to be quite successful at it.

http://www.headshot-photography.com/

Looks like you are well on your way to joining him. Nice job...clap.gif

joe

Thanks, Joe.

My apologies to KMH. Imitation is the highest form of flattery!
    saurora wrote:
    Very nice lighting, Mitch. I like the cropping you've done also. She sure is getting pretty! The garage door makes for a wonderful big light source. The 2nd shot looks warmer, did you do anything different? Any reflectors?

Thanks for the kind words. I've been trying to work on my cropping. I'm so glad you noticed!iloveyou.gif In the past I certainly would not have cropped anywhere near as tight as these. I now realize that tight crops can really add quite a bit of drama to my standard portraits.

The second shot looks warmer because it was taken later in the day. I used no reflectors or scrims for these shots. The biggest problem with the second shot was that she kept squinting while looking out into the bright outdoors from inside the dark garage. Next time I'm going to try hanging a large white sheet from the garage door if I'm shooting at noon.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    My, she looks so grown up here! I like the garage lighting and crops. I'll have to try this out!. Nice job!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography