Options

Camera won't take anymore pictures...

2»

Comments

• Options
    KiloKilo Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2007
    mr peas wrote:
    OMG. You mean to say you had an additional accessory attached and you did not let us know? Laughing.gif

Thats like saying, 'Hey I can't feel my legs'...'oh I forgot to mention I've been sitting on my butt for the past 5 hours'.

Hahah.. Well at least you learned something and your camera is okay. Beats getting told by the shop that it was just the additional grip and feeling like a fool. ;p

Guess I didn't think that was important like a camera body or a lens.ne_nau.gif lol
    ʞ1└0
  • Options
    Seymore wrote:
    Well, I've heard that Sigma lenses can have issues on Nikon bods. Now, I don't own any Sigma glass, so can't speak directly to this. So, which Sigma lens do you have? Specifics please...

If you have any other problems, you may want to go find a local camera store, borrow a lens at the store (I'd suggest a genuine Nikon) and see if you still have problems.

I have 2 genuine Nikon batteries that are over 2 years old and one that's over 3. I doubt if it's the battery.

Good luck and keep us posted...

It's this one... a Sigma DC 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 (58mm glass) Complete info on it on the URL below.
    So far, the camera is still shooting. Must have been the PG; but hey, I could be totally wrong.ne_nau.gif

.93_small.jpg

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3286&navigator=6
    ʞ1└0
  • Options
    MadagascarRainbow-1.jpg

And this is what I got from the camera yesterday afternoon after I thought about taking the PG off.
    It just wouldn't take anything with the PG, then when I put the old battery back in, it started shooting right away.
    Sorry about the back-flash. I know that distorts the photo. Sometimes I get back-flash, sometimes I don't.
    ʞ1└0
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    Kilo wrote:
    Guess I didn't think that was important like a camera body or a lens.ne_nau.gif lol

Actually, while I do not know about the Nikon grips, there have been many issues on various forums regarding similar problems with both the Canon and 3rd party grips and ultimately, when the grip was removed, everything went back to normal.

Obviously, oxidized or bent contacts and even marginal batteries can cause the problems. The first thing I tell my stidents when they ask, if they are using the grip, is to temporarily ditch it, use a known good battery, and if the problem does not recur you have found the cause. Also, cleaning contects on the lens(es), etc. would be the next step. I have found the best quick-to-find contact cleaner is the eraser on an ink stick-pen which is a bit more agressive than a pencil eraser ... be sure to use it gentely.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    gpphotosgpphotos Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2007
    i have the EXACT same problem with my D50. i have a hanhel battery grip and if the batteries arnt FULLY charged, it gives the err on the lcd. i have to take the lens off and reset the mirror, then push the shutter. pop the lens back on and its fine.

looks like i'll be buying a D300 in november so it wont be an issue any more :D
  • Options
    gpphotos wrote:
    i have the EXACT same problem with my D50. i have a hanhel battery grip and if the batteries arnt FULLY charged, it gives the err on the lcd. i have to take the lens off and reset the mirror, then push the shutter. pop the lens back on and its fine.

looks like i'll be buying a D300 in november so it wont be an issue any more :D

I'd love to have that 12.3 megapixel D300, and to have that built in powergrip that it has, but I don't have $1300 to spare right now, nor even when it comes out in November. Maybe by summer I can get one. As for my D50, it's still taking pictures todayever since the powergrip has been off. :D
    ʞ1└0
  • Options
    DaCDaC Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    I had a simular problem with a D-70. I later found out that there was a Nikon service advisory ( http://www.nikonusa.com/email_images/nikonusa/service_advisory/d70.html) on the camera. Nikon repared and cleaned the camera at no cost to me even though the camera was long (a year) out of warrenty. This is after I got a D-70s with money I was saving for a D-200. I would call Nikon USA and ask them about the camera. If they are not willing to repare it out of warrenty keep any receipts in case a service advisory is published on the D-50.
  • Options
    gpphotosgpphotos Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2007
    im 99.9% sure now that its the hanhel battery that came with my grip. if i pop the nikon battery into the grip, its fine. if i put the hanhel battery in, it locks up. if i put both batteries in, it locks up. if i put the nikon battery and another off brand battery in, its fine.

what brand is your grip Kilo?
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2007
    gpphotos wrote:
    im 99.9% sure now that its the hanhel battery that came with my grip. if i pop the nikon battery into the grip, its fine. if i put the hanhel battery in, it locks up. if i put both batteries in, it locks up. if i put the nikon battery and another off brand battery in, its fine.

what brand is your grip Kilo?

It's the Opteka BGD50supposedly the Professional Platinum Series. It says it comes with a vertical release button, but the box lied. There's no button anyhwere on the PG. I was gonna send it back, but they told me I had to do this and do that in order to get the one I really asked for. I didn't wanna go through all that red tape just to get a button,`cos I don't really need a button on a grip, but there's something wrong with this PG,`cos when I clip it onto the camera, the camera locks up. So now I'm happy that there isn't anything wrong with my camera. I might sell it so I can upgrade. I wanna leave this 6 megapixel level and move up to the 12swhether 12.7 or 12.3 or 12.0... whatever they come in now. As for the PG, I guess I can just junk it.
    ʞ1└0