Options

Driving in Alaska - Chitina

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited September 22, 2007 in Journeys
Hola!

I have been working wayyyy to much lately and havn't been able to go out climbing or hiking. I am definitely feeling neglected here! Luckily the job I have been doing is a really great one which gets me out and I get to opportunity to meet lots of really neat people. Heres some pictures from me driving around some of the people for work.

We drove all the cast and crew to Chitina. A tiny little town which at one time had several thousand people living in it and was bigger then Anchorage. However when the rail and mine shut down the town turned into a ghost town overnight.

195544010-L.jpg

It dosen't look as though anything new has been built in the town for a quite a while.
195545129-L.jpg

During the 1964 earthquake lots of buildings collapsed, several partially collapsed, and some made it without much harm. This one partially collapsed and because of the already hurting economy of the area they had to find other means to keep it from going all the way under. The cafe is still open inside.
195545560-L.jpg

Our sound man Jeff here can't believe how bad traffic is in such a small town!
195545817-L.jpg

A few new friends here find some really good berries. They were all over the trail and these were the largest we saw.
195544663-L.jpg

The drive to Chitina is normally around 5 1/2 hours. I drove down on Sunday and back on Monday. The drive down was almost entirely in the rain but I got great luck when it was sunny and beautiful on the ride back. This is a large glacier and mountain on the other side of the valley. All the pictures in this post were taken from the road.
195546170-L.jpg

The fireweed was releasing its seeds in to the sky. Its hard to keep driving on such a beautiful day.
195546928-L.jpg

I don't think I ever drive past this spot on a beautiful day. It is also one of my favorite places to sleep in my jeep. Waking up with the glacier in full view and the cool breeze on my skin is wonderful.
195547305-L.jpg

I was driving down some more people on Thursday (another 11 1/2 hours of driving) and I said "Besides Alaska I think Thailand is my favorite place in the world." I didn't think to much of it but she replied "Wow, it is so great that you live in your favorite place." I think shes right. I hadn't really put to much thought into it but it really is great to love where I live and be happy to return. This is looking back down the road.
195547689-L.jpg

I blasted this one into black and white to show the flow of the glacier down into the valley.
195548050-L.jpg

So I finished my drive back into Anchorage (in 4 hours. A personal record.) and drove back out on Thursday with two more people and the day was even better! Full view of the beautiful mountains above Glenallen. From left to right is Sanford, Drum, Wrangell, Blackburn

195548743-L.jpg

More Fireweed.
195549324-L.jpg

Sanford, Drum, and Wrangell again.

195550024-L.jpg

This is my rented Durango. A little off roading in a rental never hurt.
195550531-L.jpg

Wrangell Mountain

195543688-L.jpg

And with that I was finally home. Hopefully I'll get to hike something this weekend. Seya all then! :)

Comments

• Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2007
    I think I've said it before...Alaska is one of my favorite places on earth, too! Looks like you had some stellar days to drive and there's always a stellar view to behold. I really liked seeing the buildings in Chitina, too. And I especially like the fireweed releasing the seed and the view "back down the road."
    Thanks for sharing your travels, even if it's just driving for work!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    ArnicaArnica Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    Alaska is in my dreams.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    195550531-L.jpg

I was in this exact spot seriously like a month ago... My sis in law lives about 2 miles from there... right on the banks of the klutina...
    Pretty great pictures! I really enjoyed seeing them!clap.gif
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    Hi Kelsey, nice little road trip you had there! I was just having a conversation yesterday about living in a place where you are truly excited to be, what it is like to be eager to wake up in the morning just to experience it. I have not yet had the opportunity and am pleased that you are fortunate to be in such a beautiful area. :D

The mountains that are always within sight are breathtaking. To live within sight of glaciers! Wow.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited September 20, 2007
    schmooo wrote:

The mountains that are always within sight are breathtaking. To live within sight of glaciers! Wow.

They make their own weather in a way. As you approach the larger ones, it
    gets progressively colder. Especially apparent on a bike.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    ian408 wrote:
    They make their own weather in a way. As you approach the larger ones, it
    gets progressively colder. Especially apparent on a bike.

Isn't everything a little colder on a bike? :giggle
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    schmooo wrote:
    Isn't everything a little colder on a bike? :giggle

A peddle bike...I toured there a few years back on a bicycle and when we'd get
    near the glacier, it'd be time for a jacket.

Either way, you're out in the open for sure.

I think a two week trip around this time next year could be in the cards thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    SnarcherSnarcher Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2007
    can you link to a high res version of

195548743-L.jpg

would make a great desktop
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2007
    Wow! (Once again!) Great shots! I can't imagine driving in scenery like that....I'd be pulling over every 2 feet. :D The colors along the side of the road in the shot of the mountains above Glenallen are gorgeous. I hope you will capture more shots in the weeks to come with the seasonal changes. Not having travelled there or lived there, I never think of Alaska in this way. The foreground in the last shot looks really interesting...wish it was a little lighter to see! Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2007
    I have sooooo been wanting to get up that way. Maybe if I put my foot down we can get er done by next year!

Very nice to see your pictures. thumb.gif Thanks much!
    Michael
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2007