Need some help from the pros...

BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
edited September 15, 2007 in Sports
OK, I am heading to the Georgia Tech vs. Boston College football game tomorrow night at Bobby Dodd Stadium @ Historic Grant Field in downtown Atlanta. The past several years I have had seats directly behind the Georgia Tech bench, about 3 rows from the field..tomorrow night I am sitting in the upper deck of the stadium (4th row). As a mere amatuer...I am not sure how to set up my camera for a night game from the upper deck of the stadium. I realize that I am not going to get a lot of great shots that far from the field, but would like to get some shots of the action from a different perspective than I am used to.

I do know that the stadium has graet lighting. I would just like some suggestions as far as setting the camera (i.e. Aperture Priority? Shutter Speed Priority? ISO, etc.)

I am shooting with the following equipment:

Canon Rebel XT
Canon 70-200mm 1:4 L
Canon 28-105mm 1:3.5 - 4.5
Quantaray 2X DG

Since I am sitting in the upper deck of the stadium and facing the Atlanta skyline as a backdrop, I would like to get a shot of the stadium from up top. I guess I really need a wide angle lense to do that right.

ANY and ALL advice is appreciated

Comments

• PhotoHoundPhotoHound Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2007
    Don't expect too much from this arrangement... Your position and equipment will prove to be quite limiting. If you had a 300 2.8 (or similar) you could probably get some decent shots. You may be able to get some so-so shots covering about 1/2 court with your 70-200, but not much closer than that. If the lighting really is good, try ISO 400 (but most likely 800), aperture wide open (f/4), and shutter speed in the neighborhood of 1/400 (or higher, otherwise players will likely be too blurry). Meaning you will want to shoot in manual or A-P mode. For a wide stadium shot, you will definitely need a much wider lens (~20mm at least)...