Options

Wanderings in the Chugach

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited September 20, 2007 in Journeys
I must confess aside from your typical traveling out of state or out of country, I don't get around too much. Over a summer, I can spend over a month in the mountains, and never venture outside a few valleys I call home. Sure, there's plenty just in those valleys to occupy me for years, but it's always good to see more places!

And so, I ventured out this morning with Prezwoodz into HIS home mountains, the Chugach. It's great to get out with Kelsey, because we share many of the same personality traits, passions, and physical conditioning. We made good time getting to the trailhead and I was determined not to let the speeding ticket in a "safety zone" get in the way of a good day,:thumb so we started off in bright sunshine aiming for the summit of Jewel Mountain, a couple miles away. The weather was supposed to turn bad later, so we hurried.

Here's Kelsey at a photo stop after turning off the trail up a ridge that looked like a nice route to the summit.
jewel01.jpg

Kelsey dwarfed by the ridge on the way up. Off to the left from here were three mountain goats, but we didn't get close enough for pictures.
jewel02.jpg

The ridge steepened towards the top with several false peaks. Here's Kelsey on the crux section.
jewel03.jpg

Kelsey's portrait on the summit, before the clouds finally caught us. :D
jewel04.jpg

Ahhh Alaska! Note the "termination dust" in the foreground. Winter is coming!
jewel05.jpg

Just one peak over lies the Milk Glacier, and a whole lot of permanent ice. Kelsey is rather tiny.
jewel06.jpg

On the way down the opposite ridgeline, we spotted another goat, and then dropped down out of site over the ridge for a drink of fresh glacier water. Heading out from there, we aimed for where we'd spotted the goat, and sure enough we found it! We were spotted first and the shaggy beast was a little leary of us, but we managed to get in some clicks before it escaped down through the cliffs. Amazing where these guys can go... absolutely amazing.

This is actually my first close encounter with a mountain goat. I've seen them from afar of course, but this was quite cool.
jewel07.jpg

I got a bunch more halfway decent shots of the goat which I have posted HERE for all who are interested!

The descent was quite uneventful and I'm afraid I didn't even pull the camera out. I'm sorry! I hope you enjoyed a journey into the Chugach with Kelsey and me! :D
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2007
    The goat has a look like ...DANG THOUGHT I WAS ALL ALONE UP HERE!!!

That is quite rugged terrain you have there and it is nice for you to share your adventures with those of us that have a great fear of heights.......I would have to have a paved sidewalk and hand rails to get me up there. :D

Fantastic shots just FANTASTIC......bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb

KEEP'EM COMIN' PLease!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    jewel06.jpg
    WOW!!! Magnificent shot.thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    I'm gonna date myself...but the shot on Milk Glacier reminds me of a
    magazine cover. I don't remember the guys name but they were in the
    Karakoram.

Very nice. Especially the goat.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    Nice photo set!! I am always interested in seeing the scenery up in the cloud lands.
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    Great shots! Love the shot of Kelsy dancing on the ledge. I always enjoy your posts. I have a deathly fear of heights and it's fun to sit here in the safety of my computer chair and see through your eyes! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    Love it!

Thanks for the story, the piccies, and for taking us somewhere different. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    These are wonderful loved last 2 a lot
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Pixel PopperPixel Popper Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    Thanks for posting these. I SO-O-O enjoyed seeing this work. I just noticed you are from Wasilla, AK. Talk about a small world. I used to live in Wasilla and work in Palmer, AK, currently residing in Maryland.

Anyway, loved the shots!
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 20, 2007
    Great shots! I especially like the one with Kelsey dancing on a ridge. I hope it wasn't too close to the edge though. mwink.gif
    I always enjoy travelogs from hikes or climbs. Particularly the ones with neat piccies and a good story. We want more! clap.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com