Options

The Nations Capitol

HinsonHinson Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
edited September 16, 2007 in Landscapes
Went downtown last week and shot these. C&C welcome and encouraged.

Hinson

The Capitol
1387341608_f5afa3706d_o.jpg

The Jefferson Memorial
1386446205_e0f11ec836_o.jpg
Serving Him by Serving Others
www.Jerrywhitephotography.com

Comments

• Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2007
    I like
    Both of those shots are perfect for Black and White conversions. Nice job on both but I like the Jefferson the best. I like the simplicity of it.

Regards,

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    dmmattix wrote:
    Both of those shots are perfect for Black and White conversions. Nice job on both but I like the Jefferson the best. I like the simplicity of it.

Regards,

Mike

Thanks Mike; I appreciate the comments and I agree with your opinion with regard to the conversion. They were kinda bland in color. Nothing I hadn't seen a million times before.

Hinson
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    The Jefferson is one of the most beautiful buildings in the world, and you captured it beautifully. I love the bicycles.bowdown.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    Hinson,

I really like the bikes at the base of the stairsclap.gif Your conversions are "all right" thumb.gifthumb. I agree with you regarding how common these scenes are in color and am thrilled with your choice to go black and white. The only problem with the Jefferson Memorial shot is the top being dark, but I do understand just how difficult it would be to light that sectioneek7.gif.
    Great postwings.gif
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2007
    Hinson,

...The only problem with the Jefferson Memorial shot is the top being dark, but I do understand just how difficult it would be to light that sectioneek7.gif.
    Great postwings.gif

I agree but nothing I could do in lightroom or photoshop worked. I could have dodged a bit more possibly. I still have the raw file. Maybe I'll play with it a bit more.

Thanks everyone for the great (and complimentary) comments. It encourages me to go back downtown and shoot some more.

Hinson
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    Really nice images! You did a great job with the b&w on these.
    Hinson wrote:
    It encourages me to go back downtown and shoot some more.

I think if I lived down your way, I'd be out every night - I love shooting DC, and it's just made for night photography.
  • Options
    moose135 wrote:
    Really nice images! You did a great job with the b&w on these.

I think if I lived down your way, I'd be out every night - I love shooting DC, and it's just made for night photography.

Yes, but it's also just made for night muggings, robberies, stabbings, killings, etc. You have to be real careful where you go after dark. Around the monuments is not too bad, particularly now with heightened security after 9/11. Get away from that area though and you had better be in a large group.

Hinson
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    Hinson wrote:
    Yes, but it's also just made for night muggings, robberies, stabbings, killings, etc. You have to be real careful where you go after dark. Around the monuments is not too bad, particularly now with heightened security after 9/11. Get away from that area though and you had better be in a large group.

Hinson
    That's true - when I was down there, I stuck to the Mall and areas around the monuments at night. There were lots of people out, so I wasn't too worried. And carrying around a big honkin' tripod I could whack someone with didn't hurt either :D