recommend a starter(affordable) wide angle for 300D

melissa6631melissa6631 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
edited September 18, 2007 in Cameras
Hey yall. I'm looking for an affordable wide angle lens for my 300D...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Missy Ü

Comments

• windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2007

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

kinda.... Youre going to need a wide angle ( zoom lens for the course youre going to take )
    The 17-55 IS ( i know its expensive ) is a perfect "tool" and a great lens.
  • melissa6631melissa6631 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    windoze wrote:
    kinda.... Youre going to need a wide angle ( zoom lens for the course youre going to take )
    The 17-55 IS ( i know its expensive ) is a perfect "tool" and a great lens.

really?

What all do I need for this course? Just curious.
    Missy Ü
    really?

What all do I need for this course? Just curious.

Oh my Lord...

Are you kidding me??

$1000?

5 kids remember?

give me something a little more affordable. Like ya know how I'm using the 1.8 and now the 1.4 right now? lol one cost $70 and one cost like $300
    Missy Ü
    Oh my Lord...

Are you kidding me??

$1000?

5 kids remember?

give me something a little more affordable. Like ya know how I'm using the 1.8 and now the 1.4 right now? lol one cost $70 and one cost like $300

other things you dont need but Bryan will recommend you get are:

a 3 stop GND - he prefers the Lee System, A Circular Polarizer, a reflector, a grey card and believe it or not - he will recommend that you get a bogen super clamp system. Melly - you dont need to buy any of these things they are just what he uses and he will refer to them a few times so some of your classmates will go out and get them too. I bought the GND and CP.
    as far as the lens go - some peeps were using the 18-55 kit lens and did a beautiful job with their storytelling images ( oops I gave away one of the assignments ) but Im not telling anything more!
    This was one of my images i took for the course:
    183221354-M.jpg

troy
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    do you want a WIDE angle...or a normal zoom? cause the 17-55 on a cropped is not that wide...if what you're looking for is a REAL wide angle...like the 10-20. I had the 10-20 Sigma for a while, and I loved it...it's not too much...definitely less than $500...

- Ross

www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
    windoze wrote:
    other things you dont need but Bryan will recommend you get are:

a 3 stop GND - he prefers the Lee System, A Circular Polarizer, a reflector, a grey card and believe it or not - he will recommend that you get a bogen super clamp system. Melly - you dont need to buy any of these things they are just what he uses and he will refer to them a few times so some of your classmates will go out and get them too. I bought the GND and CP.
    as far as the lens go - some peeps were using the 18-55 kit lens and did a beautiful job with their storytelling images ( oops I gave away one of the assignments ) but Im not telling anything more!
    This was one of my images i took for the course:
    183221354-M.jpg

troy

Beautiful image but not surprising as you've always been a good photographer! I feel stupid asking this and maybe since I have to ask this I shouldn't be taking this course but what is a 3 stop GND? I'm going to go on ebay and get a grey card and look for whatever this system thingy is... I'm not even sure what it is or what i'd do with it but I guess I'd like to have what he suggests. Also.. a reflector?Wth? I guess Ill look for one of THOSE too lol
    Missy Ü
    rosselliot wrote:
    do you want a WIDE angle...or a normal zoom? cause the 17-55 on a cropped is not that wide...if what you're looking for is a REAL wide angle...like the 10-20. I had the 10-20 Sigma for a while, and I loved it...it's not too much...definitely less than $500...

- Ross

www.rossfrazier.com

honestly? i was thinking....

I was approached locally about taking some pictures for a real estate company of their properties and I thought a wide angle lens would let me get the rooms? Am I wrong? What would I need to do that? I don't want to spend tons of money on a lens for something that wouldn't pay me TONS of money in return ya know?
    Missy Ü
    I absolutely understand! but if you are going to take pictures for a real estate company - imagine trying to get in a whole small bathroom with 17mm (*1.6)...I don't think so. I'm afraid you might have to get a really wide angle in order to fix it up the best you can! the 10mm on a cropped is like 16mm, which is a great focal length, personally! What you have to remember is that I'm sure you won't ONLY be taking pictures with this lens of real estate, you can get some pretty funky pictures of your kids with this too! I love portraits taken with a fish eye!!! I can't wait to get my 5D so I can get the 16-35 and have myself a killer portrait suite of lenses that will include a near fisheye! You wouldn't want to get too close to the subject, unless it's their eye or something, because it's going to be WAY distorted and be the main focal point of the picture, for sure...haha! But Wide angles are a lot of fun, so in my opinion, the $500 may be worth just the fun you get out of it :) but that's just me...

It will open a whole new world of photography to you, though...I can promise you that! It's kind of like getting a macro lens for the first time...you're like, "there's all this great stuff down here!" it's just with a wide angle you'd more likely say "there's all kind of stuff I was missing before!!!!"

Do some research on photozone, the-digital-picture.com and look at some samples on pbase and get a feeling of what you really want/need.

Also, when I went to France on Spring break last year, I couldn't imagine not having had my wide angle - it's a great travel companion.

- Ross
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Infiniti QX4
    Ok so I just bought a circular polarizer and a reflector and I know they aren't GREAT... just ebay finds... but I want to just play with them and then go find better...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200151049983
    That's my filter...

and then this cheapo reflector thing..
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270165911223&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=017
    just becuase i have NO clue what I'm doing ... Laughing.gif

n ow--- if someone can tell me what a GND is??
    Missy Ü
    I'm guessing he didn't mean 'Girl Next Door' so my next guess is 'Graduated Neutral Density' filter. :) basically, it just blocks light evenly over the whole frame and allows for you to use longer shutter speeds.

Have you seen those shots with the water all blurred and rocks or whatnot in perfect sharpness and everything? That's taken used a GND to block some of the light so you can use slow shutter speeds to blur all the things that are moving.

hope that's what he meant...and hope my description makes sense!!!

- Ross
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Infiniti QX4
    Ok so I just bought a circular polarizer and a reflector and I know they aren't GREAT... just ebay finds... but I want to just play with them and then go find better...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200151049983
    That's my filter...

and then this cheapo reflector thing..
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270165911223&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=017
    just becuase i have NO clue what I'm doing ... Laughing.gif

n ow--- if someone can tell me what a GND is??

its a filter that holds back light without changing any of the color properties of light. Your eyes can perceive about 16 stops of light, whereas your camera sees about 8. So thats why your camera cant produce ( without some fix ) a image that has a really bright sky and a dark foreground.NO camera on the market today can record within a single exposure the vast range of light and dark that exists within a backlit scene. The graduated neutral density filter is a brilliant idea to make a filter that when placed in front of the lens, would ‘reduce’ the exposure of just the backlight sky by several stops, thus making the backlit scene much closer o the same exposure required for the foreground scene...........
    well something like that is what im trying to explain
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    Graduated Neutral Density
    Darlin'
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    Geeze
    I just read some recent replys and realize that you've gotten some really useless info. A GRADUATED ND filter is not the same density over it's face. It GRADUATES from a higher density to a lower density (usually zero) over its face. A Neutral Density filter is not necessarily GRADUATED. A "regular" ND filter is the same density from side to side (bottom to top). A graduated ND filter is useful when you have one side of an image (often the sky) that is MUCH brighter than the other side.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    Melissa:

I can recommend the Sigma 10-20 EX lens for your 300D. I use is on my 350D, and really like it. It is not crazy expensive, but you will find that many wide angle lenses are not that cheap. Others will recommend the Tamron 12-24 and the Canon 10-22. These are a bit more expensive.

I have some limited experience using this lens for interior shots for real estate...nothing professional, just casual shots...I did use a flash (430EX) for these, which I think is just as important as the lens.

Here is a sample: (you can see the flash rolleyes1.gif )

66561296-M.jpg

Oh, and forget that filter business for interior real estate shots. You don't need to worry over it, won't be of any use....
  • z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Zenitar 16/2.8

It's good, it's cheap - but require some basic photography skills headscratch.gif
    (manual focus, manual exposure).
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
    Icebear wrote:
    Darlin'

It's a bad sign when someone only has one word to say lol
    Missy Ü
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    Gnd
    GND is a graduated neutral density filter with one half of the filter clear and the other half a neutral density of one stop or more.

The concept behind the use of the GND is that you place the neutral density portion over the sky and the clear portion over your landscape with the dividing line between the ND portion and the clear portion along the horizon.

The ND portion will cut the exposure for the sky and therefore you will not have a blown out sky if you expose correctly for the landscape.

The dividing line can either be hard and crisp (you would use this for a horizon with no noticeable ups or downs like a seascape) or a softly blurred line (which you would use if the line between the sky and land was jagged as with trees).

The GND also comes with the ND portion colored which some folks like to use to change the color of the sky.

A circular GND filter has the cut between clear and ND directly down the middle forcing you to either compose your image with horizon directly across the center (boring) or to crop drastically.

A square GND filter (Cokin, Lee and others; allows you to move the dividing line up and down so you are not forced to split your composition with the horizon.

I have seen more bad shots with the GND than good ones. It takes skill and experience to use this filter without being obvious.

Using a tripod with two or more images and combining them in post processing for HDR High Dynamic Range - can often do a better and more realistic job of bringing the exposure range into one that can be captured by the sensor. Actually, you capture the highlights with one or more images and the shadows with one of more images and then combine the images for a final image that reproduces both shadows and highlights without losing either.
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    Pano shooting
    Using and combining several overlapping photographs will give you a wider view with less distortion than trying to use a single shot with a wide angle lens.

Doing single strip panos of landscapes is fairly easy and although the use of a tripod benefits this - it is not absolutely neccessary.

Doing single or multi strip panos of indoor locations requires more skill and some more equipment but, can be done effectively and looks great...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1018&message=17572474

http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~bernardk/tutorials/360/index.html

http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/index.html

http://gregwired.com/pano/Pano.htm
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2007
    If you are on a budget I'd recommend the
    Tamron 17-55/2.8 lens or the
    Sigma 10-20mm/4-5.6 EX lens
    both are great performers at a relatively
    cheap price (below 400 and 500). If
    this is still too expensive there are only
    the 18-50mm kit lenses for around 100$.
    But they are much worse opticaly.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2007
    Manfr3d wrote:
    If you are on a budget I'd recommend the
    Tamron 17-55/2.8 lens or the
    Sigma 10-20mm/4-5.6 EX lens
    both are great performers at a relatively
    cheap price (below 400 and 500). If
    this is still too expensive there are only
    the 18-50mm kit lenses for around 100$.
    But they are much worse opticaly.

The canon 18-55 is in my experience optically sharper than the Tamron 17-50 2.8, and has a more accurate AF.

It is not however, faster than the tamron (aperture).

I would imagine in real estate photography, you want a large depth of focus, so you'll be using smaller apertures and a tripod anyway.

Just my 2 cents. ne_nau.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers