GNAC Volleyball: Falcons v. Crusaders

troutstreamingtroutstreaming Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited September 23, 2007 in Sports
Seattle Pacific University Falcons versus Northwest Nazarene University Crusaders Volleyball match- NCAA Division II Great Northwest Athletic Conference. Gallery shot with 1D and 20D w/ a collection of primes - mostly 135 2, 85 1.8, and 50 1.4 , but these are 1D w/ Noise Ninja in post. Gallery here: http://www.troutstreaming.com/gallery/3488019/1/196456957:

196457466-M.jpg196461327-M.jpg196462380-M.jpg196463681-M.jpg
196464141-M.jpg
196457749-M.jpg
I am STILL trying to get white balance in this gym figured out. Even though the lighting on the ceiling is symmetrical, the bleachers are only out on one side of the court creating a 'shadow side' and the reflection off of the unfolded bleachers contaminates parts of the image with a magenta cast. I try shooting a gray card and using a custom WB, but I shoot from a lot of angles and the white balance seems to really change depending on shooting angle/location. I also try and white balance in post off of the white or black pieces of the uniforms/shoes/ball/net (shooting raw), but none of these appears to be consistently enough 'neutral' - maybe as a result of the incident light tone varying? Strobes are not an option, so I would welcome any suggestions on improving the WB while decreasing post-processing.

Thanks for looking. Comments and critiques welcome!
www.troutstreaming.com
Outdoor and Sports Media

Comments

• donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2007
    I am STILL trying to get white balance in this gym figured out. Even though the lighting on the ceiling is symmetrical, the bleachers are only out on one side of the court creating a 'shadow side' and the reflection off of the unfolded bleachers contaminates parts of the image with a magenta cast. I try shooting a gray card and using a custom WB, but I shoot from a lot of angles and the white balance seems to really change depending on shooting angle/location. I also try and white balance in post off of the white or black pieces of the uniforms/shoes/ball/net (shooting raw), but none of these appears to be consistently enough 'neutral' - maybe as a result of the incident light tone varying? Strobes are not an option, so I would welcome any suggestions on improving the WB while decreasing post-processing.

Thanks for looking. Comments and critiques welcome!

I carry my expo disc around my neck and take a new WB setting every time I choose a new location. I never have to do any WB adjustments in post if I do this. If you don't have an expodisc, you could try the coffee filter technique. I used it quite successfully before I got my expodisc. I've never tried a grey card. The nice thing about the expodisc is that you are sampling the light you are shooting rather than reflected light immediately around you. The light hitting the grey card is unlikely to be the same as that hitting the players and what is behind them.

You've done an excellent job of capturing the key moment. Shooting in bursts, I rarely get the ball touching the players hands.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • troutstreamingtroutstreaming Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2007
    donek wrote:
    I carry my expo disc around my neck and take a new WB setting every time I choose a new location. I never have to do any WB adjustments in post if I do this. If you don't have an expodisc, you could try the coffee filter technique. I used it quite successfully before I got my expodisc. I've never tried a grey card. The nice thing about the expodisc is that you are sampling the light you are shooting rather than reflected light immediately around you. The light hitting the grey card is unlikely to be the same as that hitting the players and what is behind them.

You've done an excellent job of capturing the key moment. Shooting in bursts, I rarely get the ball touching the players hands.

Thanks for suggesting the Expo disk - I will need to check it out!

For the most part I try not to shoot bursts for sports - too many times it leads to an early and late shot versus trying to time it with a single shutter actuation. That is one of the reasons that I need to get a second pro-body - the lag between button press and actuation is just enough longer on the 20D vs. the 1D that my timing just does not cut it with the 20D anymore. Last year shooting exclusively with the 20D I managed to get the lag time dialed in.

Thank you for the comments and suggestion!

Andy
    www.troutstreaming.com
    Outdoor and Sports Media
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2007
    Great pictures for indoor sports.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2007
    donek wrote:
    I carry my expo disc around my neck and take a new WB setting every time I choose a new location. I never have to do any WB adjustments in post if I do this.

I strongly second that about the ExpoDisk. The thing is spot on, and of course that means less PP time. It's also a 2-for-1 item. Like it's name implies, it's also a great exposure tool. Especially useful for off camera flash like stand mounted speedlights, monolights or even available light.
    Randy