Add another issue to my list

LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
edited September 20, 2007 in SmugMug Support
As noted previously, password isssues continue using Windows saved password, logging into the control panel, I get an invalid password message, and have to press back button to log in. This happens on 2 computers, and NEVER happened before.

Now a new totally unacceptable GLITCH! I go to www.fotogafer.com in Windows Exporer. I go to my section called photo bucket, then to landscapes in bucket. I go to page four, I display a photo, as soon as I press back button or try to return to gallery, it starts this rapid motion photo swapping like it's hung up in a loop. It's your guess as good as mine WHAT it's doing, but the stop button won't even stop it! Anybody else with this issue on Monday Morning the 17th?

Guys, this just keeps getting more and more unacceptable as performance for a gallery. I just don't understand what your all's problems are that you can't create a accurate test environment and test things thoroughly before implementing things that mess us up! My own environment has not changed. no new browsers, no new PC, heck, not even a new sub gallery.

Comments

• LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2007
    This just in:

My explorer window/windows finally stepped in and said:

"A script on this page is causing internet explorer to run slowly. If it continues to run your computer may become unresponsive..."

Need any other clues to tell you that you got a big ISSUE with at least SOME of our galleries???

I say yes, stop it, and as soon as it returns to page, it starts the same thing and produces the same message again. Guys, this is just soooo unacceptable, I can't even view my own photos I loaded Sun night.

I will also note, that this issue occured as if I was just someone viewing my gallery, I wasn't even logged in.

Lex wrote:
    As noted previously, password isssues continue using Windows saved password, logging into the control panel, I get an invalid password message, and have to press back button to log in. This happens on 2 computers, and NEVER happened before.

Now a new totally unacceptable GLITCH! I go to www.fotogafer.com in Windows Exporer. I go to my section called photo bucket, then to landscapes in bucket. I go to page four, I display a photo, as soon as I press back button or try to return to gallery, it starts this rapid motion photo swapping like it's hung up in a loop. It's your guess as good as mine WHAT it's doing, but the stop button won't even stop it! Anybody else with this issue on Monday Morning the 17th?

Guys, this just keeps getting more and more unacceptable as performance for a gallery. I just don't understand what your all's problems are that you can't create a accurate test environment and test things thoroughly before implementing things that mess us up! My own environment has not changed. no new browsers, no new PC, heck, not even a new sub gallery.
    direct URL to my issues: GO TO PAGE 4, select any image, view in large mode, then try to go back to gallery using back button, and watch the scripting loop-

http://www.fotogafer.com/gallery/2623422#148112939
    Lex wrote:
    This just in:

My explorer window/windows finally stepped in and said:

"A script on this page is causing internet explorer to run slowly. If it continues to run your computer may become unresponsive..."

Need any other clues to tell you that you got a big ISSUE with at least SOME of our galleries???

I say yes, stop it, and as soon as it returns to page, it starts the same thing and produces the same message again. Guys, this is just soooo unacceptable, I can't even view my own photos I loaded Sun night.

I will also note, that this issue occured as if I was just someone viewing my gallery, I wasn't even logged in.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    Lex wrote:
    Hi, I'm very sorry this is happening to you, and I can see that you are upset. Please know that we test very thoroughly - in fact, I just spent some time trying to reproduce the behavior you are describing, and I cannot.

I suspect there are some browser settings at play, let me try and get some additional help for you, okay?

One thing - are you running any addons? Any firewall, security, adblocking, cookie blasting software?
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    Lex wrote:
    direct URL to my issues: GO TO PAGE 4, select any image, view in large mode, then try to go back to gallery using back button, and watch the scripting loop-

Don't know if this matters, but this does not appear to be a general issue with your galleries. I just followed your instructions on both IE7 and Firefox. There was no loop, and the response was fast.
    Don't know if this matters, but this does not appear to be a general issue with your galleries. I just followed your instructions on both IE7 and Firefox. There was no loop, and the response was fast.

Well, it's happened to me 4 times, and I am not a novice user. I'm a 20 year + computer veteran- thanks for trying it, I'll close my stupid browser, and retry everything and see what it does. Already closed smugmug 3 times.
    Lex wrote:
    Well, it's happened to me 4 times, and I am not a novice user. I'm a 20 year + computer veteran- thanks for trying it, I'll close my stupid browser, and retry everything and see what it does. Already closed smugmug 3 times.

AFter you go to the page 4.

Click on an image, click image again to display large, then CLICK IMAGE AGAIN which returns you to gallery with only a small image of the image you just clicked in viewing window. At this point the script error occurs.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    Hi Lex, I'm sorry to hear about the problem!
    Andy wrote:
    One thing - are you running any addons? Any firewall, security, adblocking, cookie blasting software?

In addition to that, please clear your browsers cache to make sure that we are not dealing with corrupt cache.
    For Internet Explorer 7:
    1. From the Tools menu, select Internet Options... .
    2. Choose the General tab.
    3. Under Browsing history, click Delete... .
    4. Next to "Temporary Internet Files", click Delete files... .
    5. Click Close, and then click OK to exit.

I too have been trying to reproduce this error and have not been able to.

Have you seen this in any other gallery and/or with any other photo?
    Lex wrote:
    AFter you go to the page 4.

Click on an image, click image again to display large, then CLICK IMAGE AGAIN which returns you to gallery with only a small image of the image you just clicked in viewing window. At this point the script error occurs.

Firefox first displayed ALL my images side ways, on the bright side, the scripting loop did not activate. I went back to main page, went back in, and the perspective error was corrected. no looping. But this is only in firefox so far...
    retesting...
    Lex wrote:
    retesting...

Ok, I found the glitch. Many people use full screen windows, a few of us, choose to have smaller windows to keep more visible on the desktop.

When my section above (landscapes in bucket) is displayed in full page here, there are 3 pages. When you doubleclick the title bar to toggle to small window size, there are 4 pages.

If you set the window size to small, and repeate my issue (go to page 4, click an image, click it again to display as large, then click it again to return to gallery) it IS at that point, the script has an error. It was not clearing temporary internet files. It is in fact a glitch, just maybe not one many people would think to test-

Now, let's see how my password issue is-

re-testing.
    I still have the password error, see prior-

I have to press the back button to main menu, then refresh screen, and I'm logged in.

As to your security question, yes, there are more security measures in place here than in some places, but I had the exact issue at home, meaning it is not the firewall issue unless it's a router firewall causing it? But nothing changed either work or home as far as I know, it just started happening at the time I last documented it in another thread... I don't believe anyone ever addressed my issue then-

Lex wrote:
    Ok, I found the glitch. Many people use full screen windows, a few of us, choose to have smaller windows to keep more visible on the desktop.

When my section above (landscapes in bucket) is displayed in full page here, there are 3 pages. When you doubleclick the title bar to toggle to small window size, there are 4 pages.

If you set the window size to small, and repeate my issue (go to page 4, click an image, click it again to display as large, then click it again to return to gallery) it IS at that point, the script has an error. It was not clearing temporary internet files. It is in fact a glitch, just maybe not one many people would think to test-

re-testing.
    Lex wrote:

re-testing.
    Hi Lex, we use that feature all the time, resizing the browser - it does use javascript - have you got any settings in your browser that might be preventing javascript in this case?
    Lex wrote:
    the time I last documented it in another thread... I don't believe anyone ever addressed my issue then-
    What thread? ear.gif

By the way, we strive to provide fast support here and not to miss any questions - but the failproof method to get an answer in minutes, is to write our help desk http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal
  • sskoutassskoutas Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    Lex wrote:

I'm running FF2 on WinXP and could not get the loop to happen on my end. Everything seems to work well from here. That said, sorry that you're having troubles but I did want to take a second to compliment you on some beautiful images.

Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed.
    Lex wrote:

I've tried to replicate it, but still can not, I'm sorry. Can you confirm that your cache is cleared? Also, can you confirm that you are using IE7? or is it IE6 that is causing this? or both?

Do you get any sort of error message prior to the looping in the status bar (bottom left)?
    Thanks Stephen, I've got some junk that needs cleaning out of the closet, but I've got some scapes I am fairly pleased with, even given that we are our own worst critic.

Andy, you keep a lot going I am sure, and agree, help desk maybe what I should have done. Well, let's see what it does tonight at home, I'm close to leave time.

At work, well, I don't know of anything particularly different other than it's on a network at a major university. Beyond that, I can't say what could be different, fairly vanilla XP setup.

We'll see what the flipping issue does tonight.

As to the login issue, well I've used that since January, and only just started having trouble at the time I wrote that other message.

thanks.
    edited September 19, 2007
    Did you have time to test it at home? any luck? ear.gif
    edited September 20, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Did you have time to test it at home? any luck? ear.gif

I still need to do more checking Ivar, thanks... I will and I will get back to you here...

I am curious about the other thread, regarding the login, I'll go look at it now.

Instead of keeping 2 threadsd going, let's just discuss my other issue here, as you may recall, it was a login issue, getting a message stating my password was not valid, but then if I paged back two pages, I was logged in.

You said: You can't use a domain to log in, to which I said, huh? I was using just what it asked for, an email---

Oh, I went here:

www.smugmug.com/fotogafer edit- ok, whoops I see I used the wrong one here, sorry... shuold have been fotogafer.smugmug.com

I get the main smugmug page. not my account page.

It says login at top of page. I press login.

I enter my registration email address and my password, and I get the same dang ERROR MESSAGE!!! I CANNOT login at all now.

Well, I did look at your help page. It said I could enter my account name only, and what do you know, it accepts that with my password. But I would like to point out to you admins, that it DOES say enter EMAIL ADDRESS, it does not say enter ACCOUNT NAME on the login page. There's a distinct difference.

I wrote this:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lex
    Ivar, I am not sure at all why you are talking about using smugmug in a login???

On this page, my smugmug page clearly states enter:

https://www.smugmug.com/login.mg?goT...togafer.com%2F

Email _________________
    Password _____________

That is precisely what I have done. my registration email address is for a domain on my own server and has nothing to do with the domain I use as my account here that's another domain, it's just as if I'd used a comcast email, or other ISP email. If I am not supposed to use my own email which I used for 7-8 months, well??? I just don't understand then. Login says, enter the email and password, and your in, that's how it always worked...

Again, www.fotogafer.com gets to my smugmug page, then click login. That's what I always did.

My email is for a different domain, which I will not enter here right off... for security purposes. But if you say enter a user account name, why does the login description say enter email??? Isn't this something that should be modified to say "enter username, password" to login?
    Hi Lex

What Ivar meant was, you must login in and out at

http://www.smugmug.com

Not via your custom domain.

Use your email address or your nickname in the login box, either is supported. But you must login from www.smugmug.com - see the "gotcha" here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/acctlogin

Does this help?
    ok, I'll try that approach for a while and see how it does, thanks Andy.
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Lex

What Ivar meant was, you must login in and out at

http://www.smugmug.com

Not via your custom domain.

Use your email address or your nickname in the login box, either is supported. But you must login from www.smugmug.com - see the "gotcha" here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/acctlogin

Does this help?