butterfly in bloom

LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
edited September 18, 2007 in Holy Macro
I stuck with these flowers and butterflies for a little while seeking just the right shot. I think this was it, even though it wasn't the most colorful butterfly I shot, I do like the shot myself. Your thoughts: (I do know that a tigher crop could work as well for this shot, but I sort of liked the other elements here.)

196629403-L-2.jpg

Comments

• drdanedrdane Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2007
    Lex wrote:
    I stuck with these flowers and butterflies for a little while seeking just the right shot. I think this was it, even though it wasn't the most colorful butterfly I shot, I do like the shot myself. Your thoughts: (I do know that a tigher crop could work as well for this shot, but I sort of liked the other elements here.)

Hi, Lex

Well, I have to say, you have one more black swallowtail pic than I have!

My initial response was "get closer," either with a longer lens or Lord V's super stealth technique:D. Like move REAL SLOW. Of course, by the time you get close enough, the critter is in the next county!rolleyes1.gifI'd suggest the longer lens approach for butterflies. I use a 100 f2.8 macro, but a 180 would be even better.

I did a quick & dirty "alternate" of your image, as a suggestion.

Blessings,
    Dane

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/drdane/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
    Dr Dane :rofl
    Celebrating the essence of Nature, the Human Spirit, and the Divine Presence in all
    http://www.drdane.smugmug.com or:
    http://www.inner-light-images.com

• LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    Dane, first, thanks for identifying the species. I actually said, I realize it could be cropped tighter. But I also said I really didn't want it cropped tighter pretty much. In the context of what I was after, the shot doesn't really do it cropped. But then this shot goes to 12.2 mpx too, not exactly the same perspective as here... Oh, it is nice cropped, there are actually 2 crops that could work. But I do like the other elements.

Maybe I should have got out a bigger gun, getting closer was prohibitive over a retaining wall on a mountainside. I could have, 180, 200-400, 300, 135.

But I shot mostly @ 105, this shot was at 105mm

In fact, come look at the original, it's not locked down yet, the butterfly is amazing at 12.2 mpx full shot.
    http://www.fotogafer.com/gallery/2623422#196629403-L-LB

The really nice part about the black swallowtail with this flower is the wonderful contrast. The black on yellow is just awesome.

drdane wrote:
    Hi, Lex

Well, I have to say, you have one more black swallowtail pic than I have!

My initial response was "get closer," either with a longer lens or Lord V's super stealth technique:D. Like move REAL SLOW. Of course, by the time you get close enough, the critter is in the next county!rolleyes1.gifI'd suggest the longer lens approach for butterflies. I use a 100 f2.8 macro, but a 180 would be even better.

I did a quick & dirty "alternate" of your image, as a suggestion.

Blessings,
    Dane

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/drdane/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
    Lex wrote:
    Dane, first, thanks for identifying the species. I actually said, I realize it could be cropped tighter. But I also said I really didn't want it cropped tighter pretty much. In the context of what I was after, the shot doesn't really do it cropped. But then this shot goes to 12.2 mpx too, not exactly the same perspective as here... Oh, it is nice cropped, there are actually 2 crops that could work. But I do like the other elements.

Maybe I should have got out a bigger gun, getting closer was prohibitive over a retaining wall on a mountainside. I could have, 180, 200-400, 300, 135.

Sounds like, from the beginning, you were looking for a wider shot, in which case, a longer lens would have been irrelevent. What were you referring to by "other elements?" If it is the red leaves (OOF in this shot), then perhaps a vertical crop including their color would do the job.
    In fact, come look at the original, it's not locked down yet, the butterfly is amazing at 12.2 mpx full shot.
    http://www.fotogafer.com/gallery/2623422#196629403-L-LB
    To be honest, Lex, I can't see a difference at this screen resolution - bring it up to 100% in photoshop, and I'm sure there's a big difference!
    The really nice part about the black swallowtail with this flower is the wonderful contrast. The black on yellow is just awesome.

15524779-Ti.gif That's why I wanted to zoom in on that baby! If the majority of the background was yellow flowers, it would have a much better wide shot, IMO. The wide shot here feels a bit too busy for my taste, and doesn't pull me into the scene. But that is only my opinion, since you asked for our thoughts - if YOU like it as it is, then that is the way you should keep it!

Maybe you could hire a couple of swallowtails in black tux's down at the local acting guild, and boogie on down to the nearest patch of yellow flowers and have a blast!:D Tell 'em the drinks are one the house.rolleyes1.gif

Blessings,
    Dane
    Celebrating the essence of Nature, the Human Spirit, and the Divine Presence in all

• LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2007
    I may on another day like the crop. Today, I liked the OOF blurred background with the tinges of red, and the flowers fading to the background. Yes, I asked opinions, true, well, you gave me one, thanks. Doesn't mean I am sold. :-)

As to more pics, it's pot luck, the flowers may even be gone by next weekend as the temps continue to drop evenings in the mountains.

drdane wrote:
    Sounds like, from the beginning, you were looking for a wider shot, in which case, a longer lens would have been irrelevent. What were you referring to by "other elements?" If it is the red leaves (OOF in this shot), then perhaps a vertical crop including their color would do the job.

To be honest, Lex, I can't see a difference at this screen resolution - bring it up to 100% in photoshop, and I'm sure there's a big difference!

15524779-Ti.gif That's why I wanted to zoom in on that baby! If the majority of the background was yellow flowers, it would have a much better wide shot, IMO. The wide shot here feels a bit too busy for my taste, and doesn't pull me into the scene. But that is only my opinion, since you asked for our thoughts - if YOU like it as it is, then that is the way you should keep it!

Maybe you could hire a couple of swallowtails in black tux's down at the local acting guild, and boogie on down to the nearest patch of yellow flowers and have a blast!:D Tell 'em the drinks are one the house.rolleyes1.gif

Blessings,
    Dane
    edited September 18, 2007
    Lex wrote:
    I may on another day like the crop. Today, I liked the OOF blurred background with the tinges of red, and the flowers fading to the background. Yes, I asked opinions, true, well, you gave me one, thanks. Doesn't mean I am sold. :-) . . .

Hi, Lex

It was simply my opinion - hope you didn't feel it was a "sales job."

Im surprised no one else has chimed in with their 2 cents worth - there are many other thoughts & opinions in this forum which might be helpful for you.

Which mountains are you in, BTW? Rockies?

Blessings,
    Dane