My new toy!!!

BeamCatcherBeamCatcher Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited September 19, 2007 in People
Me again! I swapped in an old Sigma 17-35 and a little used Canon 24mmTS-L, meaning that as of Saturday I am the happy owner of a Canon EF 17-40 4L USM, and I really have to say I love every minute I spend with it. :-))) Here is one of my test shots from the window with my better half. Would be cool to hear what you think of it. See you later all! Ivar :wink
Canon 7D
Canon 16-35mm f2.8 II
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM
Canon Speedlite 550EX

http://www.beamcatcher.com/layout/Pictures.html

Comments

• HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2007
    Me again! I swapped in an old Sigma 17-35 and a little used Canon 24mmTS-L, meaning that as of Saturday I am the happy owner of a Canon EF 17-40 4L USM, and I really have to say I love every minute I spend with it. :-))) Here is one of my test shots from the window with my better half. Would be cool to hear what you think of it. See you later all! Ivar mwink.gif

My wife and I love our 17-40! Back up a little bit and use the longer end for portraits. The wide end will give you some perspective issues. Of course that can be used to your advantage too! Kids look cool when you are right on top of them shooting wide angle. All big noses and eyes with skinny little bodies....
  • BeamCatcherBeamCatcher Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited September 18, 2007
    Thanking you mate!
    HiSPL wrote:
    My wife and I love our 17-40! Back up a little bit and use the longer end for portraits. The wide end will give you some perspective issues. Of course that can be used to your advantage too! Kids look cool when you are right on top of them shooting wide angle. All big noses and eyes with skinny little bodies....

Fully agree with your comment, and just a quick one... or more a question back really. The normal length for 135mm film is 43mm, and for my D10 it is 26mm based on 21.7 x 15.1mm -This shot is taken at 33mm wich would be equivalent to 54mm on conventional 135mm SLR. Would you still expect to see any perspective issue? Cheers! Ivar wings.gif
    Canon 7D
    Canon 16-35mm f2.8 II
    Canon Speedlite 550EX

• HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2007
    Fully agree with your comment, and just a quick one... or more a question back really. The normal length for 135mm film is 43mm, and for my D10 it is 26mm based on 21.7 x 15.1mm -This shot is taken at 33mm wich would be equivalent to 54mm on conventional 135mm SLR. Would you still expect to see any perspective issue? Cheers! Ivar wings.gif

It depends on how close you are to the subject. Even a "normal" 50mm lens on film could create an out-of-perspective image if you are close enough to the subject.

The phenomenom becomes less of a worry though, with longer focal lengths. Unfortunately on a crop-sensor camera, a 33mm focal length still acts like a wide angle even though your image size resembles a "normal' lens.

Basically, there is no free lunch, and users of crop bodies should take a big step back and use 50mm and longer for portraits. Unless you want some warped perspective of course!
  • pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    Bah, who cares about your new lens. That is one stunning better half!
    More pics of her, please. Use whatever lens you want. :)

Congrats on the lens anyway.
  • BeamCatcherBeamCatcher Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    Hehe!
    pyrtek wrote:
    Bah, who cares about your new lens. That is one stunning better half!
    More pics of her, please. Use whatever lens you want. :)

Congrats on the lens anyway.

Thanks dude! Some more shots here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=69008

See you around mate! wings.gif
    Canon 7D
    Canon 16-35mm f2.8 II
    Canon Speedlite 550EX