Options

Soul - My first submission challenge 33

canonguycanonguy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited March 3, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hey all, this is my first submission to a challenge. Let me know what you think.

16640021-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    Howdy, canonguy wave.gif

Very, very nice picture. Great expression. Subject is nice and sharp. Nice out of focus background. The entire picture tends to draw the viewer's eye right to the singer's face thumb.gif

The framing feels a little tight at the bottom (I think it would look better if all of the right hand was in the frame,) but otherwise I don't think you could have framed it better. The singer's shirt is a bit bright on the left side of the picture, but otherwise I think you've got the exposure spot on. There seems to be a bit of noise in the image, but not enough to be an issue. I guess you were using a fairly high ISO on the camera???

The more I look at this picture the more I like it! I think you've got a very solid entry here.

Oh, and welcome to dgrin!
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2005
    Thanks Cletus. I took this picture at a benefit function. The venue was very dark. 90% of the light for this photo came from my flash bouncing off the ceiling. I was happy to get the singer in frame at all. I have to go back and check the ISO on this picture to see if the noise is from that or my post processing. And I'll see if I can do something about that hot spot.

Thanks for the input:D
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    canonguy wrote:
    Hey all, this is my first submission to a challenge. Let me know what you think.

16640021-M.jpg
    Wow, I think this is a great shot! thumb.gif
    I am not sure how picky the judges for the contest are.
    Laughing.gif, I have not been able to make it to the last stage of the contest yet.
    They might not like the blurred hand but, I guess he moved it while you where taking the photo. Keep up the good work and enter often!

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    Marshall, NC
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2005
    THanks Chuck! I have been spying the great works posted on this site for a while. But now I plan to contribute as much as possible.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited March 2, 2005
    canonguy wrote:
    I think it's got good composition, focus and exposure. Overall, I think it's a
    good shot.

The one thing I'd like to see is more of the singer. Maybe a full body shot
    so the viewer is given more of a reference?

Welcome and good luck with the challenge!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    mslammersmslammers Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    canonguy wrote:
    I would crop so as to show more hand and make it more portrait mode vs. landscape. Nice composition and exposure too.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2005
    How about this one?
    I would crop so as to show more hand and make it more portrait mode vs. landscape. Nice composition and exposure too.
    Unfortunately, the head of an audience member is right below the singer's hand. How about this one? I actually think the exposure on this one is better, but the composition is not as strong. You tell me.

Thanks!

16640018-L.jpg
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    canonguy wrote:
    Unfortunately, the head of an audience member is right below the singer's hand. How about this one? I actually think the exposure on this one is better, but the composition is not as strong. You tell me.

Thanks!

16640018-S.jpg
    Composition is much better on your first pic.
  • Options
    JennyJenny Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    I like the first one better too. The first one really shows just how passionate the singer is, the second one is more like he is just putting on a show. I also like the cropping better in the first one. Excelent shot!thumb.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited March 2, 2005
    I would agree the composition is better in the first.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    thebiffusthebiffus Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    singing
    Because I am a musician, I really appreciate shots like this. I think you did a nice job on this one. I agree that maybe the hand is chopped off, but looks like you were lucky to get the shot you did..
    TEL

~There are moments when one has to choose between living one's own life, fully, entirely, completely - or dragging out some false, shallow, degrading existence that the world in its hypocrisy demands.~
  • Options
    joechiujoechiu Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    I like the first one too. A little more hand would be nice, but I think cropping to add more of the hand would add more of the body and create a larger white space. So, I wouldn't do it at the expense diluting the facial expression.

On my monitor, it feels a tad undersaturated. Otherwise, I like how the picture shows all the details that go into the singing, and nothing else!
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 3, 2005
    Kirk: I hadn't replied yet because I wasn't certain how to convey my thoughts.

Firstly, I really like #1, his face, the passion he displays are great.
    The hand crop doesn't bother me but others have pointed out the things I think concerned me. I wish he was a little bit better lit and I wish the background were a bit more blurred so he would "pop" better. I can't offer PS suggestions but many here can.

All-in-all a nice shot though and certainly conveys emotion. thumb.gif
  • Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    great capture! I can almost feel his music! clap.gif