Elaine Inspired - Heceta Head Lighthouse in Oregon

DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
edited October 12, 2007 in Landscapes
Elaine posted this lighthouse earlier this summer. I loved it and added the stop to my western/northern trek to the PNW and Alaska prior to meeting up with everyone attending the Glacier NP Shootout '07.

This shot screams for a late afternoon shooting, but I made it there too late and had to shoot it in the early morning light because of a tight schedule. I hope to be able to go back there to shoot it again - maybe next year.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

I haven't uploaded the full-size photos to Smugmug yet so I will link these to the EXIF data when I have them uploaded.

195237325-O.jpg

Just 40 or so miles north of Heceta Head Lighthouse is the Yaquina Head Lighthouse which is on the north end of Newport, Oregon in the US Dept. of Interior BLM area.

195237465-O.jpg

Strawberry Hill, which is also alone Hwy 101 just north of Heceta Head is a great place to photograph harbor seals (I'll post some of those shots in the Nature & Wildlife section).

There were just too many lighthouses and too little time - I shall return.
Dixie
Photographs by Dixie
| Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!

Comments

• DesertRatDesertRat Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2007
    Very nice. My wife and I made a coastal run last week. One of the goals was to see some lighthouses. Since we had little time to stop and wait for better light/weather, I did not get many keepers. Not one shot of haceta head was worth showing. Luck or planning seems to be critical for lighthouses! I'll post the one decent shot from the whole week.

Mike
    Looking for adventure in all the wrong places!
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2007
    Hey...I spotted my name and had to look! :D These are beautiful!! WAY better than mine, but I'm so glad you were encouraged to stop at these lighthouses. Hope you enjoyed your trip and I look forward to seeing more of your wonderful images! clap.gifclap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2007
    These are really gorgeous, Dixie. Looks like you have had a pretty good trip so far! See you in Montana.

ann
  • DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    Elaine wrote:
    Hey...I spotted my name and had to look! :D These are beautiful!! WAY better than mine, but I'm so glad you were encouraged to stop at these lighthouses. Hope you enjoyed your trip and I look forward to seeing more of your wonderful images! clap.gifclap.gif

Elaine, I am going to respectfully disagree with you about mine being "WAY better" than yours. In fact, I believe that it is the other way around.

Your composition is great and the lighting for yours is much easier to work with. I think that you just quit a little too early when post processing and left yours a little flat. If you took the original image in RAW, I think that your possibilities are great.

I took the liberty of working with yours a little to get rid of the flatness to see what it looked like and the attached image is what I came up with after just a couple of minutes.

Here is the image from your original post:
    166619679-L-1.jpg

I hope you don't mind me taking the liberty with your photo. If you do, just let me know I will be happy to remove the attachment.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    Ann McRae wrote:
    These are really gorgeous, Dixie. Looks like you have had a pretty good trip so far! See you in Montana.

ann

Thank you, Ann, your comments are greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to meeting those who are going to the shootout. I've had to miss all the previous shootouts because of scheduling conflicts so I am really happy to be able to attend this one.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    Wow! Mine does look flat! eek7.gif I don't mind at all that you tweaked my image...please share what you did! I am definitely not a photoshop expert (working with photoshop elements 5.0...I do have Lightroom, just haven't sat and figured it out yet). Thanks for your thumb.gif !
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    Tremendous Blues
    Where does the water end and the sky begin? The Horizon is a nearly invisable transition. Realy nice stuff. Thanks.thumb.gif
    edited September 23, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Wow! Mine does look flat! eek7.gif I don't mind at all that you tweaked my image...please share what you did! I am definitely not a photoshop expert (working with photoshop elements 5.0...I do have Lightroom, just haven't sat and figured it out yet). Thanks for your thumb.gif !

Elaine,

When I get home from the Glacier Shootout, I'll write down a workflow for you. It may be slightly different working from the original because I don't know what you did, if anything, prior to working on it. Hopefully it will help some.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    Where does the water end and the sky begin? The Horizon is a nearly invisable transition. Realy nice stuff. Thanks.thumb.gif

Thanks. It was a hazy, cloudy day and the horizon just basically disappeared in the funk in the distance. I couldn't really see the horizon while I was taking the photos.

It was a number of hours later when I shot the second lighthouse and by then the haze had all burned off.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    Both photos are wonderful but I love number 1-- you cannot tell where the sky and ocean begin and end. Well done. clap.gif
    edited October 9, 2007
    davidryan wrote:
    Both photos are wonderful but I love number 1-- you cannot tell where the sky and ocean begin and end. Well done. clap.gif

Thank you, Ryan. Your comments are appreciated.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • SuweidongSuweidong Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    I feel bright in my breath after I looked your photos.thumb.gifthumb.gif
    :barb Welcome visit my picture website--http://www.webphotos.cn :ivar
    edited October 12, 2007
    Suweidong wrote:
    I feel bright in my breath after I looked your photos.thumb.gifthumb.gif

Thank you for your kind comments.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie