Help me - colors all messed up

EriktankEriktank Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
edited September 18, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
I was using vista 32bit for a while now - everything was fine - upgraded to 64bit so I could get more RAM.

I know - please don't roll your eyes - I doubt this is a 64bit issue - BUT - my colors are all messed up. Almost as if the contrast is super boosted in normal windows (picture viewer, picasa, etc) but if I load CS3 - the colors are perfect (normal) again...

http://www.tanksdigitaleffects.com/gallery/3419534/1/197107571/Large

I have posted an example - side by side shot of what the image looks like in CS3 (normal) on the left VS what the image looks like in the standard picture viewer in Vista on the right hand side...

Anyone know what I can do to get NORMAL picture viewer apps and picasa esp to work with the standard color schema. I just spent a lot of money on this Dell 24" monitor and it was awesome in 32bit vista... what gives? I've played with the nvidia control panel (8800 nvidia card) and have had no luck getting the picture to show normal...

Any help? TIA!
Erik

Comments

• SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2007
    Just curious as to why you need more RAM than Vista 32 can take.
    I'm running 4GB of RAM and can run Premier Elenents Pro, Lightroom and Image processor and it still only eats about 85% of my RAM.

My processor takes a beating. But this is why I got a Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 (overclocked to 3.73GHz). Let the thing work, that's why I bought it.
    Just curious.

-Jon
  • EriktankEriktank Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited September 18, 2007
    I had 2 gig on vista - but I'm using FBDIMMs and they are a bit more expensive than "normal" RAM prices... so buying 4 gig more was only half as much more than 2.... I checked drivers for 64bit - everything worked for once, so I made the jump.

Plus - there's a MS knowledgebase article stating that 32bit windows can only address 3.12gigs of RAM, even if you have four - you're really only using 3 gigs... that just ticks me off - so one more reason to make the move. I figure we all will have to move eventually, and since all my hardware works in 64bit (my printer STILL doesn't work in 32bit, but it DOES in 64bit) I figured it's the best way to go. I'm loving it. Except the color crap... I read more and it seems it has somethign to do with vista's color management no longer using ICC but using WCS and ICM instead. *sighs* more things to learn I guess - but why only screwy in 64bit I wonder?

For any gamers out there - my frame rates for BF2142 and MOH:Airborne have DOUBLED if not TRIPLED in 64bit windows using the newest nvidia drivers. Go figure - 64bit was HORRIBLE for gaming at first release - now it screams.