Options

Imagine formation

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited October 8, 2007 in Technique
I have had in my mind a series of photos showing the dark side of life. The world of the depressive mind. But do you think I can photograph it. No! For example a sad face reflected in a gold door knob in a dark corridor. A elderly woman lying on her husband's grave to be close to her only life-long partner.
A young man looking at himself lying on the ground, blood around his head, after he drunkedly hit a post on the freeway, with his car mangled next to him.

Can people share how they come up with the incredible photos displayed in this web site? I am sure they are not all snapped on the street - some must be planned, tried and retried and what?

Thanks
D

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2007
    Well, the crashed car might be a bit hard to arrange on-call. :giggle

I am no expert on storytelling but in my experience I have had to pull favors and ask/beg friends to be my models at times. Sometimes scheduling the time to coordinate with them is the most difficult thing - even more so than creating the scene and taking the shot.

Your series sounds right up my alley and I'd love to see your work if you do this. thumb.gif
  • Options
    InvectiveInvective Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2007
    d22, I feel your pain! Most of the things I see in my brain and want to get through my shutter are almost impossible. And as schmooo said, beg your freinds. That's what I do (they're getting quite sick of it, I'm sure)! I often delve into the darker side of life, and I must say, your car crash idea is fantastic. I can't wait to see you execute some of this series.
    "The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
  • Options
    ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    1. Serendipity.

2. Planning.

Either one works :D
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited October 5, 2007
    :D:D:D

Accurate, but not very helpful.

But very funny, none the less.rolleyes1.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    :D:D:D

Accurate, but not very helpful.

But very funny, none the less.rolleyes1.gif
    Planning a car wreck is hard though. I have yet to pull it off thumb.gif
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    I start with a lot more ideas than I actually photograph. Each idea goes through a series of refinements as I work out both the how-to and the compositional aspects of putting it together. Many ideas never make it through that process and get returned to think about later. By the time I pick up the camera, I usually have both a clear image in mind of what I am going for and an plan to make it happen.