a boy and his pony

livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
edited September 19, 2007 in People
not sure if i should post this here or in animals.....i did a workshop last weekend about photograhing horses, and she included working with people and horses and setting up portraits and lighting, which has been one of my weaknesses. i was really pleased with this one. i did some desaturating on the background and the pony in order to keep the red distinct.

196859356-L.jpg

c/c is welcome
laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff

Comments

• AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2007
    Thats a really great picture.......AZZAROclap.gif
  • Pixel PopperPixel Popper Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2007
    Very nice. An instant classic!
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    I like it, livinginoz!
    At the same time I'd like to ask you: what did you want to say by this photo?
    If its about relations between the pony and the boy - I think that boy's hand on pony's neck, or the other kind of his look, with more tender - I am sure you have seeing such looks - could make this photo.
    For me (again for me) pony looks here a bit tired, without any expressions.
    Boy maybe thinking about what will be (riding, contact with pony...) but we see no expression - he is just thinking and everyone of us can fill his thoughts with different things - 'how I like a pony', or 'something is wrong with my stomach', or 'will papa buy me a new toy'
    I think that any kind of contact between the boy and the pony can make a composition.
    What do you think?
    I like horses (though I dint ride them, only take photos) and my wife is fond of them! Places with horses - ideal for portraits, because people there have opened feelings, opened faces, filled with emotions.
    That is why my gallery pages with horse tournaments have much more portraits then horses photos :-)
    Yuri
  • livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    yuri, i totally agree with your comments on the connection. this young man was kind enough to pose for about 7 of us photographers, but because he was 8, and getting instructions from several directions at once, including mom, who is an animal trainer, he couldn't quite loosen up as we had hoped he would. however, the lighting was so nice, and i guess that's what i was pleased with.

and you are right, the pony had been modeling for at least a half hour, and had just about decided he was done working :)

here's another shot, perhaps shows more connection.......

197685885-L.jpg

thanks for your input, it really made me think more about the image.
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    Yuri, great insight and feedback, I learned a lot from reading it! clap.gif

Beautiful light and shot as stated before! I prefer the first one although Yuri's comments are valid.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    urbanaries wrote:
    Yuri, great insight and feedback, I learned a lot from reading it! clap.gif

Beautiful light and shot as stated before! I prefer the first one although Yuri's comments are valid.
    Spasibo, urbanaries!
    I also invite you to jouin our MA
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=71133
    Yuri
    livinginoz wrote:
    yuri, i totally agree with your comments on the connection. this young man was kind enough to pose for about 7 of us photographers, but because he was 8, and getting instructions from several directions at once, including mom, who is an animal trainer, he couldn't quite loosen up as we had hoped he would. however, the lighting was so nice, and i guess that's what i was pleased with.

and you are right, the pony had been modeling for at least a half hour, and had just about decided he was done working :)

here's another shot, perhaps shows more connection.......

197685885-L.jpg

thanks for your input, it really made me think more about the image.
    Spasibo, livinginoz!
    I invite you to look at http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=71133 and join our Monthly Assignment.
    Yuri