Looking for a great inside lens

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited September 18, 2007 in Cameras
I'm looking for a good indoor lens to use for family gatherings, etc. Something I can just put on my camera (Rebel XTI) and shoot away. No tripod. I usually take my pictures in M mode. I would like to stay away from using the flash, but understand that sometimes I may have to. I do have a 24-105L lens, but it gives me a reddish color sometimes. Any ideas?

Comments

• sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2007
    The 24-105L is a fine lens... I doubt the lens is giving you the reddish color. If you are shooting indoors, its likely that the white balance is being thrown off by the tungsten lighting. Use the tungsten white balance setting when in doors with regular light bulb light.
  • wesleytwesleyt Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    I have the 24-105 f/4L IS, and I use it primarily outside. I use my 17-55 F/2.8 IS inside. The fact that it its faster and wider are typically beneficial when inside.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    Thanks for the information. I will change my white balance and check out the other lens (17-55).
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    Dogdots wrote:
    Thanks for the information. I will change my white balance and check out the other lens (17-55).

+1 on the 17-55 2.8 IS. For indoor low light, this is one lens you'll be happy you have a EFS body!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    Ya know... is this red thing the only thing preventing you from liking the 24-105L? Granted its F/4 so its kinda slow... how often are you going to be taking group photos at f/2.8? The 7mm on the wide soze will help out indoors, but 24 is still plenty wide for most photos! The L lens has IS soo, so really all you are getting with the 17-55/2.8 IS is 7mm at the short end and a stop of aperture that will make the people in the back row of your group shot out of focus. Better to bump up the iso and stop the lens down a little. A 17-55/2.8IS set at f/4 is the exact same speed as any other lens set at f/4. If you are hurting for light that bad, put a 580 on the camera and bounce it off the ceiling. I cant see having ~$2000 in lenses that are virtually identical.

I think sometimes people are quick to recommend spending money on new stuff. I don't know if I really like recommending gear... which is maybe why I was so quick to tell you to not get anything! Can you post photos of this "red" problem?
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    The red is definately a WB issue that happens a lot in low light situations involving artificial light, like from lamps. This is easily adjusted in RAW.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    I changed my white balance and got rid of the red. clap.gif I've been playing with my 24-105L today and got just what I was looking for so the 50mm is going back to the store. I don't know why I didn't do that before...just thought I needed something different since I to use my 24-105 for outside. Duh...that is probably why I never saw the red before. I agree it seems like there are some people out there that feel you need a lens for every different shooting situation.

I am interested in the 17-55 lens. I will certainly be checking into that one.

Sorry I can't post any pictures of the red for you. I would if I could. I deleted them as fast as I saw them---ish. After taking all those pictures with the 50mm I felt like I was poisioning my camera.

This being my first post here I have to thank you for all your help. I hope to be posting some of my photos as soon as I read on how to post them here.

Again ~~~~~~~~~ Thanks!