Options

Olympic National Park

greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
edited September 20, 2007 in Landscapes
To get some practice for next weeks Glacier National Park trip I went to Deer Park in Olympic National Park. Deer park sits at the North East corner of the ONP and allows you to camp at 5400+ ft and make a short easily hike to the 6005 ft peak of Blue Mountain. At an elevation of 6005ft, your usually well above the clouds, and this made for a great opportunity to do sunrise photos. C&C welcome.

197156522-L-3.jpg

197157256-L-2.jpg

197157913-L-3.jpg
Andrew
initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2007
    clap.gif GREAT shots, Andrew! I was going to post a thread today because I, too, went for a hike over the weekend to "practice" for Glacier. But I don't think I'm gonna, now.

eek7.gif

You had some perfect light and wonderful fog. Woo-ee, these are beautiful!
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    Breathtaking views. The first one is fantastic. Great shots! bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    schmooo wrote:
    clap.gif GREAT shots, Andrew! I was going to post a thread today because I, too, went for a hike over the weekend to "practice" for Glacier. But I don't think I'm gonna, now.

eek7.gif

You had some perfect light and wonderful fog. Woo-ee, these are beautiful!

Thanks schmooo!

I did get lucky with the conditions on this trip. Its funny too, because at the last minute the decision was made to go to Olympic National Park instead of Mount Rainier National Park, and the weather really worked out.
    zweiblumen wrote:
    Breathtaking views. The first one is fantastic. Great shots! bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Thanks Travis!

I was sitting on top of the mountain freezing as I was taking pictures, then all of a sudden that buck popped up on the ridge. I'm not sure who was more startled, me or the buck finding people on top of the mountain at 6AM. Luckily the buck stuck around for me to frame him in that shot.
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    Very nice shots, I like the first one best.
    Ahh, I used to live not too far from Deer Park, south of Pt. Angeles in the foothills. A great place, but it sure gets cold the minute the sun goes down. I always tell folks to blow off Hurricane Ridge and hit Deer Park instead.
  • Options
    Very nice shots, I like the first one best.
    Ahh, I used to live not too far from Deer Park, south of Pt. Angeles in the foothills. A great place, but it sure gets cold the minute the sun goes down. I always tell folks to blow off Hurricane Ridge and hit Deer Park instead.

Thanks Miguel!

I've lived my entire life in the Pacific Northwest, I've hiked and camped all over the Olympics, but sadly this was my first time to Deer Park. But I will definately be going back!
    Andrew

• Options
    Ned FNed F Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    This is a nice series.. the third one is just fantastic!
    Ned Fenimore
    Portland, Oregon
  • Options
    JGDJGD Registered Users Posts: 315 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2007
    Wow!
    Jim Green Canon 5D: Proceed W/Caution, I tend to get carried Away:dunno
    http://jgdesigns.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Ned F wrote:
    This is a nice series.. the third one is just fantastic!

Thanks Ned!
    JGD wrote:
    Wow!

Thanks Jim!
    Andrew

• Options
    Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    Realy cool stuff. I gotta go for #3. thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    Fantastic work! I really enjoyed these - my only comment (other than that) is about the first one. Something kept nagging at me, I think I finally figured it out: the mountains in the background are beyond the DOF and I think that ideally they should be sharp in a landscape like this.

I'm a rank amateur so I wonder what Mark or Andy would say about that.

If these shots are any indication, you are going to come away with some amazing images at the shootout. I'm looking forward to seeing them. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited September 20, 2007
    Realy cool stuff. I gotta go for #3. thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Thanks Albert, I think #3 is my favorite too.
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Fantastic work! I really enjoyed these - my only comment (other than that) is about the first one. Something kept nagging at me, I think I finally figured it out: the mountains in the background are beyond the DOF and I think that ideally they should be sharp in a landscape like this.

I'm a rank amateur so I wonder what Mark or Andy would say about that.

If these shots are any indication, you are going to come away with some amazing images at the shootout. I'm looking forward to seeing them. thumb.gif

Thanks! And I agree with you, every time I look at #1 the OOF mountians bugs me too. The goal with that picture was to get the deer with some kind of background (I never have a situation where I can get wildlife AND landscape in the same shot), it was pretty dark and I had been previously been shooting at infinity so my apature was wide open (the lens wasn't a fast one) ...I guess I just wasn't quick enough on my feet to frame the shot, push up the iso, and close down the apature. But then its trips like the Glacier one where I hope to get more paractice at that sort of scenario.:D
    Andrew

• Options
    Kory LidstromKory Lidstrom Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2007
    All very nice shots. thumb.gif I'd like to see a bit more detail in the shadows in #2 though.
    I see the world through a 3:2 rectangle.

My site:Fine Image Photography