good, small bounce flash for the PowerShot G7/G9

wesleytwesleyt Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited September 19, 2007 in Cameras
All,

I'l be taking a trip soon with only my PowerShot G9; the 30D will need to stay home. I'll be taking indoor pictures, so I'll need a good flash. My 580EX is a great option except it's bigger than the camera.

I'd like to get a good, smaller bounce flash for the G9. Do you all have any advice as to which models I should consider?

Thanks,
Wes

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited September 18, 2007
    wesleyt wrote:
    All,

I'l be taking a trip soon with only my PowerShot G9; the 30D will need to stay home. I'll be taking indoor pictures, so I'll need a good flash. My 580EX is a great option except it's bigger than the camera.

I'd like to get a good, smaller bounce flash for the G9. Do you all have any advice as to which models I should consider?

Thanks,
    Wes

It appears that the G9 takes any standard Canon Speedlight, and the Sigma flashes made for Canon E-TTL.

Since the G9 works better with plenty of light, I recommend at least the Canon Speedlite 430EX or the Sigma EF-500 Super DG.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • wesleytwesleyt Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2007
    Ziggy,

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering if the 430EX might be a best bet; it would certainly be a good complement to my 580EX.

I'll need to go down to my camera shop and hold it and the Sigma to see how they balance on the G9.

I was researching a while back and noted that the Metz mecablitz 36 AF-4C might be a good option, but it tilts only - no swivel.

Thanks again for the advice!

Regards,
    Wes