light possibilities...

DizzyDizzy Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
edited September 19, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
We were blessed with strong light yesterday afternoon, so I headed out to see what I could find. I tend more towards photography of this kind rather than studio work, mostly because I dont' have a studio:D . Anyway, got several shots of light play on milkweed seeds and it comes down to an issue of cropping. I want to give the information needed without forcing it on you and these are what I came up with...thoughts? Comments? Tell me I'm way off base...I'll take it all. THX - Dizzy

Rainbow Effect
197524043-S.jpg

197524116-S.jpg

Comments

• FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2007
    I think you're off to a good start. There's just a couple of things that feel incomplete.

1) The subject doesn't really stand out to me. Even though the DOF blurs the background well, the milkweed strands seem too faded. Perhaps it's the contrast? Or the time of day?

2) The composition feels non-specific. Maybe a real tight crop on just the upper 1/3 of the shot?
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    Keep in mind I'm not the most observant person, but I didn't notice the colors in the milkweed from the light until I read your post. Perhaps you could try boosting the saturation of the part of the picture that includes the milkweed, but not the background in an effort to bring out those colors more? The second crop works more for what you are trying to show I think. You've captured properties of light in a non-obvious way, which is creative, but it's been pointed out before that subtlty can sometimes be overlooked.
  • DizzyDizzy Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    Thank you both for you thoughts and comments. I picked my husband's brain when he came home for supper tonight and we came to the same conclusion about boosting the colors somehow. We also boosted the contrast a bit as well. The shots that I originally posted were almost stragiht off of the camera with minimum processing done to them. Will keep playing...sand post some difrferent crops. THX! Dizzy