LPS #13 - Whipping

MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
edited September 20, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
197554977-L.jpg

I'm going to have to think about this competition for a long time I think. Here's my first idea. Thoughts?

Comments

• leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2007
    Opened the thread, and was immediately reminded of the Wizard of Oz. Returned, and still got that feel. I am one of those old school folk who's nightmares, still today, seem to have some aspect of a either a green hand, a crystal ball, or of course, Flying Monkeys in Bellhop Uniforms. All kidding aside. (Keep in mind, I am no critic). I wouldn't mind seeing this in black and white, for fun, and maybe 'terror' free. The shadows from the lines in the palm of the hand, and the depth they reveal are cool. Gnarled fingers feel prime for the composition. Nice that the 'electro ball' or whatever it is called, is not the common one seen in the typical science classroom. It has character. Thanks for sharing.
    Growing with Dgrin

• HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    Hmmmmmm......
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    Not bad, but crop off at least the bottom third of the image and it becomes much stronger.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    Not bad, but crop off at least the bottom third of the image and it becomes much stronger.

Yes! You are absolutely right! It's still green AND it's squared which must be a bonus for you. thumb.gif Thanks!

197704720-M.jpg

This version has some reflections removed. I thought they might be distracting. Let me know if you like it better...
    197705537-M-0.jpg

Edit: Entered the last one for now...until I can think of something better...IF I think of something better.
    leaforte wrote:
    Opened the thread, and was immediately reminded of the Wizard of Oz. Returned, and still got that feel. I am one of those old school folk who's nightmares, still today, seem to have some aspect of a either a green hand, a crystal ball, or of course, Flying Monkeys in Bellhop Uniforms. All kidding aside. (Keep in mind, I am no critic). I wouldn't mind seeing this in black and white, for fun, and maybe 'terror' free. The shadows from the lines in the palm of the hand, and the depth they reveal are cool. Gnarled fingers feel prime for the composition. Nice that the 'electro ball' or whatever it is called, is not the common one seen in the typical science classroom. It has character. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for your thoughts! I'm trying to figure out where I can add those flying monkeys. I guess I'm one of those people who was also influenced by that movie and it's showing! I'll try looking at it in B&W, but I'm liking the green.naughty.gif
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    MarkTodd wrote:
    Yes! You are absolutely right! It's still green AND it's squared which must be a bonus for you. thumb.gif Thanks!
    rolleyes1.gif Didn't even think of that!
    MarkTodd wrote:

This version has some reflections removed. I thought they might be distracting. Let me know if you like it better...

Yep, better without the reflections. Well done!
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

HoofClix wrote:
    Hmmmmmm......

Laughing.gif....why do I sense an impending hammer falling?
    MarkTodd wrote:
    Laughing.gif....why do I sense an impending hammer falling?

No hammer in my hand... It was very early for me, and I liked what I saw, but I didn't want the "early" in my brain to keep talking....

So, I don't consider myself that good at giving specific critique on this type of photo, but I agree with the direction you took it. As it's early in the round still, if you are still gung ho, you might see what else you can come up with, not because your entry isn't good, but just to stretch yourself and see if you can do better... Or, relax and watch the rest of the game... As for me, I still haven't a clue!
    Mark
    HoofClix wrote:
    No hammer in my hand... It was very early for me, and I liked what I saw, but I didn't want the "early" in my brain to keep talking....

So, I don't consider myself that good at giving specific critique on this type of photo, but I agree with the direction you took it. As it's early in the round still, if you are still gung ho, you might see what else you can come up with, not because your entry isn't good, but just to stretch yourself and see if you can do better... Or, relax and watch the rest of the game... As for me, I still haven't a clue!

I absolutely intend to see if I can come up with something I like better. I am having a blast with this competition! And I'm sure people I work with are happy too since my creative energies are no longer focused on making silly posters of them. Thanks for your comments (and no hammer)! bowdown.gif
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    MarkTodd wrote:
    And I'm sure people I work with are happy too since my creative energies are no longer focused on making silly posters of them.

:lol4
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
    I've had some comments that the shadows on the hand make it look like the light source is not coming from the "ball" which is true. I was holding a flashlight aimed at my hand. If the judges were to interpret the picture and think that my intent is for all the lighting to originate from the ball then the shadows would obviously be wrong. This being a competition for light and/or shadow I could get dinged on the technical aspects of the assumed light source and incorrect shadows. I am going to try some more shots with the light positioned in a different spot. I just hope that doesn't wash out some of the nice details in the hand.
    edited September 20, 2007
    Tried to knock down the shadow from the thumb a bit...
    197971746-L.jpg

Another shot, but I'm not sure if I like the hand as much. The original comes off more gnarled...
    197979046-L.jpg

Desaturated...
    198009008-L.jpg
    edited September 20, 2007
    IMO, the first one is the best. First of all, the hand position looks like it's bent back at the wrist somewhat, giving the idea that the hand is conjuring up the activity inside the glass. Second, the way the shadows fall on the fingers on the left most finger, they look also to be bent backwards a bit. In the other two, it just looks like the hand it drawing heat from the electricity, not as exciting..
    Mark