San Jose Sharks Hockey Pre-Season Scrimmage

aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
edited September 23, 2007 in Sports
Holy Cow. I can honestly say that this was my hardest hockey shoot for many reasons even though I have shot at this rink before. This was the Team-A/Team B scrimmage.

1) Lots and Lots of people.... five/six deep around the boards. And the bleachers were full. I got stuck on one corner of the boards and really couldn't move for most of the session.
2) In general, the corners and behind the net are the WORST place to shoot for hockey since the glass is completely scratched up. Imagine taking a rubber shoe and hitting it about a thousand times on a surface. Repeat. And Repeat again.
3) Being short doesn't help. You can't see over people, you can't nudge people out of the way. I had to shoot between bodies and I have a smaller area of glass in which I can search for a small un-scufffed part (centermeters). I would get a part of the frame in focus, and then have a band of fuzzy grey.

How did I do? Better than I expected, but not what I wanted to get. The bulk of the frames ended up grey and I had some focus issues. At the same time, I got some usable frames which did surprise me.

1. Joe Thornton and Kyle McLaren
197607294-M-1.jpg

2. Ryan Clowe and an unkown skater

197607689-M-1.jpg

3. A very full blench in black. There was a similar bench filled with people wearing white jerseys... About half the people will be either let go or sent to the minors. 197607395-M-1.jpg

4. Cheechoo
197603676-M-1.jpg

Lessons learned? I don't really know. I just know that I hate scratched glass and crowds.

And I wished that I skated like them... :-) They're so fast!

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited September 22, 2007
    Next time, stick your lens right up againts the glass. But not behind the
    nets--there's way too many puck marks there :D

You can use your hand to help shield the lens from the back light.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Next time, stick your lens right up againts the glass. But not behind the
    nets--there's way too many puck marks there :D

You can use your hand to help shield the lens from the back light.

There were way too many pick marks in the corner as well. mwink.gif

Thanks for the tip... I'll shoot without the hood. I'm will be back there in the morning, and hopefully this time, there will be less people and I can move around a bit. Last time, I was pushed to the side of the side.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited September 23, 2007
    aktse wrote:
    There were way too many pick marks in the corner as well. mwink.gif

Thanks for the tip... I'll shoot without the hood. I'm will be back there in the morning, and hopefully this time, there will be less people and I can move around a bit. Last time, I was pushed to the side of the side.
    All the parents of kids playing will be there as will the same bunch of fans.

I always loved being there at the start of the NHL season. There's such an
    energy in the air.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?