Is Photoshop Required To Win, Place or Show?

2»

Comments

• HarleyPugsHarleyPugs Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2007
    I miss those days....
    We sort of. I don't miss the expense of film days.

Jon
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    So what are your thoughts on the whole thing. Do you believe that Photoshop makes you a better photographer and do you think you need it to win this challenge?

Joe
    [/QUOTE]

No, photoshop or some other post processing program can't make you a better photographer, It can inhance or make an image more appealing or pleasing to the eye... No, it is not needed to win this contest...

Winston
  • jeffsullivanjeffsullivan Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    The final image will tell
    imax wrote:
    So what are your thoughts on the whole thing. Do you believe that Photoshop makes you a better photographer and do you think you need it to win this challenge?

Joe

Photoshop can help me make a certain percentage of my mundane shots more interesting or emotionally evocative. I often achieve the same result with hard filters. Most often I use both. Whether producing more compelling images makes me a better photographer or not, it makes me a more resourceful and flexible photographer, more able to achieve my desired result.

In the contest some judges have rejected some images while noting their technical merit and their sound conveyance of the themes, simply because (as far as I could tell from the comments) they looked like straight photography. The contest was declared to be about creativity, and straight landscapes don't communicate creativity (apparently, to that judge).

I always use PS to some extent, although generally not much, in part because I only own Elements. In this contest, despite claims to the contrary, I currently do feel incented by varying judging styles to make its use fairly obvious (which may get my shots dinged for poor execution since that's not a style I'm accustomed to). If some judges ding images for being too straight, but none ding them for being clearly edited, then the odds are would seem to be better for well PSed shots. So yes, I'd lay odds on the prize containing PS CS3 as more likely to go to someone who already has it. (Food for thought... perhaps in a future contest a PS prize should go to the image and graphic artist that most needs the help?)

Whether Photoshop is needed to win this contest will be determined by the final, winning image. If it was clearly heavily PSed, then yes, apparently Photoshop was needed to win.