Options

Sidelit Face

a-baird-photographa-baird-photograph Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited September 19, 2007 in Technique
I was playing with a rented lense a few weeks ago to try before buy. Lighting was a lamp on the fireplace mantle difused onto her side. I used a shop light pointed directly at the ceiling. Not the pro set, but for a beginner it works (I think). Therefore, I'm here. Are the shadows too deep on her face? Overblown hair? What can I do different?

190519576-M.jpg
Body: Canon XTi
Glass: 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm f3.5-5.6, 70-300mm f4.0-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm f4-5.6

Comments

• Options
    ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2007
    My first question is did you save this photo with an sRGB profile? Because I downloaded it to try and do a few things I learned in Photoshop, and the first thing I see is that in Photoshop the pictures has a different color tone. YOUR picture has a reddish tone, and I'm wondering what profile this was saved as. That could be one thing that would make a difference (before I even tried anything, the picture is less blown out once I opened it, but this could be a result of browsers not being able to read the profile you used).
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
  • Options
    ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    So, I'm still learning, and I'm sure someone will notice something I did wrong. but I did some levels and curves stuff to the photo, and then some color balancing. I also softened the highlights by adding some color back into it using the color sample tool and paintbrush tool in photoshop.

It no longer has that yellowish tone from the lamp, and if that's what you were going for that can easily be fixed.

Although this is just photoshop stuff. In camera I'm sure there are people here who could help you better.
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
  • Options
    rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    First off, I'd say it's a nice portrait, nice DOF and I like the crop. I do agree with what you mentioned, though, that the shadow/highligh difference on her face is a bit much.

Maybe move her away from the light a little (easier than moving the mantle I'm sure:D) and use some sort of reflector to help fill in the dark side of her face a bit?

Also, from what I've read here from others, you generally want to have the eyes as sharp as possible, even if you soften up the rest of the image a bit. I'm not sure if the focus is a little bit off, or if you did some softening in PP, but maybe try to sharpen up the eyse a bit?