Options

Correcting out of gamut after Lab tinkering..

Scott_TScott_T Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited September 19, 2007 in Finishing School
I am working through the Margulis books, and know enough to be dangerous...Well emphasis on the 'know little' part...

In anycase I sent an image to be printed at WHCC.com and they stopped the priniting noticing that the sun in the pic was coming out lime green. They suspect, and I believe they are correct that the yellow is out of gamut. I did a quick stop in LAB color and am certain that was where I blew the gamut....

Kudos to WHCC on the catch!

WHCC recommend downloading their soft proofing profile and then doing this in PSCS3:

-create a new layer to play with

-Choose Image

-Select Adjustments

-Replace color

-Your cursor becomes an eyedropper and you’re able to choose the lime green color

- From there use the sliding bars for saturation and hue to restore the yellow color in your file and Save.

Now I see when I eyedropper over the yellow in the sun that the CMYK numbers have exclaimation points next to them, so I believe that is saying I am out of gamut.

Is there a way in PSCS3 to identify any out of gamut colors without using the eyedropper? Is there a way to get the color back in gamut other then doing the selective color replace, which I am not exactly familiar with?

On one hand I could just re-edit the entire image and go easier in LAB mode, but I would like to know some different techniques to:

1. Identify that I went out of gamut without eye droppering over the entire image
2. Fix out of gamut after it happens.

Here is a low res copy of the image:

http://www.wildflower-imaging.com/album/bridge_vics_field_orangesky_try1b.jpg

Any advise greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2007
    Out of gamut mapping doesn't make sunsets green. Something else is going on, however, its odd you don't see it on your end (what about when you soft proof with their profile?).

The CMYK ! is showing you out of gamut for the currently loaded CMYK profile in your color settings. You're not printing to that device so the numbers and the out of gamut indication is worthless.

The low rez image looks OK (there's no green sunset to be seen on this end). Something else is going on here.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    Scott_TScott_T Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    I may not have relayed what WHCC told me correctly, here is a quote:
    There was a yellow present in your files that is out of our printer's gamut so it was shifting to green. You need to use the soft proofing profiles to view your files and edit them as necessary before submitting them on an order.

So now I downloaded their soft proofing file, I see the problem with the exclaimation points on the yellows, but how to correct is still my issue.

Does the response make more sense now?

Thing is it looks OK to me on my screen, but it is not calibrated. I want to order a calibrator now. I have never had this issue before, I thought my laptop screen was close, but I suppose I was lucky before.

Thanks for the reply....

arodney wrote:
    Out of gamut mapping doesn't make sunsets green. Something else is going on, however, its odd you don't see it on your end (what about when you soft proof with their profile?).

The CMYK ! is showing you out of gamut for the currently loaded CMYK profile in your color settings. You're not printing to that device so the numbers and the out of gamut indication is worthless.

The low rez image looks OK (there's no green sunset to be seen on this end). Something else is going on here.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    It doesn't explain the green and, with a good conversion (which you can try using the profile), it should be less saturated since the colors are out of gamut but not green. When you toggle on and off the soft proof with their profile, you're SEEING the out of gamut colors shift into gamut within this simulation. The Proof numbers if set in the info palette provide the new RGB values if that's of interest.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/