Learning portraiture

SaltForkSaltFork Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
edited September 22, 2007 in People
I'm just starting to do a few Senior Portraits and I'm discovering that Moms usually want some traditional studio shots but the models are all about going "on location." Does this match your experiences?

I've posted three I shot of my daughter last Friday evening for fun. I was scouting new locations and she just happened to be along. She has never wanted to be photographed but when she saw how these turned out SHE ACTUALLY LIKED THEM AND SAID SHE WOULD DO IT AGAIN! :clap

So, what do you good folks think? All of these were shot in RAW with a Canon Digital Rebel (obsolete) and a brand new 70-200 IS f/2.8L, and then postprocessed in Photoshop Elements....

#1 Evening light but in the shade...
196091801-L.jpg

#2 Strong direct evening light...
195736670-L.jpg

#3 Strong direct evening light with B&W conversion....
195736457-L.jpg

Comments

• ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2007
    Well, I have to be real careful what I say because my dad is a moderator for this site :D

BUT...

When I got my senior pictures, he paid for them, but the photographer asked me what I wanted. So I got some with my car and my dog. I wore what I wanted (no suits or ties). If I could go back and do it again, I would want something more unique and/or more NON traditional.

My philosophy is that sure you can do the "traditional" stuff, but try to make it unique. It's really annoying to see the same poses and same backgrounds (such as people sitting/laying/standing next to their graduation year numbers. I HATE that one). It seemed like in my home town the portrait photogs had the same locations for every student.

If you asked me directly, I would say go on location, different, unique shots. But you could compromise and do both. Get some unique and some traditionals, because students/parents typically buy more than one set.

As to your photos. I really like them. I'm a fan of trains. They were some of the first things I shot back home. I like the lighting and setting.
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    I like the first one very much. The combination of the light, the color tones, her relaxed pose and smile, the composition... they all work.

I like the warm light in the second one, but not the compo.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    wxwax wrote:
    I like the first one very much. The combination of the light, the color tones, her relaxed pose and smile, the composition... they all work.

I like the warm light in the second one, but not the compo.

I have to agree. It definitely works better as a vertical, like in the BnW
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
  • SaltForkSaltFork Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited September 20, 2007
    Thanks for the comments!
    I have to say that I really like the evening light too.

Thoughts about the composition in #2: It's definitely a TASTE thing. I'm finding that shots like this appeal to some folks but not others. I've made it my goal to try to always deliver a gallery with lots of DIFFERENT kinds of shots - different angles, crops, expressions, etc. You never really know what will appeal to a customer - especially if they have not had portraits done in a while and are coming in without preconceived notions. Also, generational differences (and resulting TENSIONS) may result in the model liking everything that the parent / buyer dislikes. I'm hoping that their compromise results in more sales for me! thumb.gif

Thanks for your comments guys!
  • Pixel PopperPixel Popper Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2007
    Again, it's all a matter of personal taste, but if I was the paying party, I would go for the B&W. While the first two are fine, the third really hits it on all levels for me. This one seems much more relaxed, less like a pose. The facial expression is quite natural, and therefore more beautiful, to my way of thinking. I think this one is the most flattering to your model and catches the best look.

One tiny nit to pick on the B&W. The ladder rails are not quite vertical. Was that an intentional choice, or could it do with some straightening? I guess if you straightened the image, the subject's face would not be exactly centered, but that could be a good choice, too.

I like the color pallate in the first shot.
  • rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    Hi James,

I'm with Sid, I really like #1. It has a nice soft look to it, the colors are great, and I like the pose, it looks nice and relaxed.

My only thought if you were going to shoot there again is that the tree in the background to the left of her is a little bit distracting. I feel like the color of it actually adds to the image, but being right behind her head, my eye keeps getting drawn towards it.

Aside from that, great shot! I also like the BW one.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    I love the last one, great BW conversion and emotion. It appears you might need to raise your shooting perspective. She's looking down at you, and that's not nearly as engaging or flattering as looking slightly up at you. Just my $.02!

to answer your original question....

In my experience you are right about parents and grandparents wanting something completely different than the student. And, when it comes to prints they're paying for, they don't really care about what the young individual envisioned or what is trendy in photography. That said, I think you can cover your bases by shooting a few "traditional" looking portraits and compositions even in an on-location setting. Knowing what traditional rules are, and how they are broken in modern journalistic portraiture is key here. For example, tight crops and negative space compositions are lost on the Olan Mills crowd.

I usually shoot 80% for me and the kiddo, and make sure I have 20% for the Olan Mills crowd. mwink.gif

HTH

Lynne
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    urbanaries wrote:
    I usually shoot 80% for me and the kiddo, and make sure I have 20% for the Olan Mills crowd. mwink.gif

Lynne,
    Thanks for your feedback. I've admired your work in LPS and your recent Bootcamp posting was awesome. thumb.gif

When I started thinking seriously about doing portraiture I thought I had to have a studio - probably because of all those trips to Olan Mills with my mom back in the 60's and 70's. Now, though, I see so many folks moving toward the location shoots because they want a more "personalized" look. Interestingly enough, one young lady told me she wanted a location shoot but she didn't want to "lean against that same fence at that farm where that other photographer takes everyone." So I can see that location shooting in a small town will require vigilance on my part to keep it fresh. They all compare photos, you know!

Back to your comments: By negative space are you referring to shots like #2? All my background is in nature photography where I almost never center anything and always look for details AND context. Completely empty negative space might not add context but I like the railcar background in #2. (For some kids, completely empty negative space IS THE BEST CONTEXT for them.rolleyes1.gif )

I'll keep in mind your comments on perspective, too. I found myself without a stepladder when I was shooting this so I used a longer lens and backed away in order to not be looking up her nose. It helped but I probably need to keep that ladder handy.

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate them very much!
    rustic wrote:
    Hi James,

I'm with Sid, I really like #1. It has a nice soft look to it, the colors are great, and I like the pose, it looks nice and relaxed.

My only thought if you were going to shoot there again is that the tree in the background to the left of her is a little bit distracting. I feel like the color of it actually adds to the image, but being right behind her head, my eye keeps getting drawn towards it.

Aside from that, great shot! I also like the BW one.

Rustic,
    Thanks for your comments.
    The bad news is that the location is on a siding in our little town and that particular railcar is no longer around. The good news is that new ones show up every few days. Access is really easy and the location is very good for an evening shoot. I'll be going back there and I'll be watching out for that tree in the background.

Thanks again!
    One tiny nit to pick on the B&W. The ladder rails are not quite vertical. Was that an intentional choice, or could it do with some straightening? I guess if you straightened the image, the subject's face would not be exactly centered, but that could be a good choice, too.

I like the color pallate in the first shot.

rolleyes1.gif I have no idea if I meant to make the ladder angled or not. I wonder, though, if it would have been as noticable if I had not posted #2. ne_nau.gif

I've noticed a few times in the past that my feelings for a shot depend on the other shots I've made of the same subject. It's something I have to keep in mind when I'm showing a shot that I really like to someone who hasn't seen all my other shots of that subject.... I posted a shot of a barn on The Whipping Post one time where the grass in front of the barn caught the evening light in a way that I had never seen before. It blew me away and I loved the shot. One of the "whippers" said, "...why did you keep all the grass in the foreground? It's really distracting." :cry Oh well!

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate the insight.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    I think you did a very nice job on these! I like them all for various reasons. #1 is my favorite. I like her casual relaxed pose and the setting, colors and composition, are wonderful. I would do one thing to this and that is to tone down the green tree on the left. It keeps 'popping' in my view of the photo and is very distracting. At first I thought it was part of some leaves up close. #2 I love the evening light...very beautiful. #3 Nice conversion and pose. I agree with Lynne that changing your vantage point and getting above your subject would only improve them. Finding special 'sites' to shoot is difficult and I have wondered how photographers keep those 'fresh', especially when shooting numerous customers. I see no reason why you can't shoot the more traditional pose (for the parents) on location, as well. Great job, hope you'll post more as you do them. thumb.gif
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2007
    I love'em all...but I must admit that first picture just makes me shudder.