Options

First time pic post

exploradoraexploradora Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited September 20, 2007 in Landscapes
First post on Dgrin. Looking forward to sharing my (very amateur) work and getting feedback from you all.
I'd like to start with this shot of a surfer in San Juan del Sur, Nicargua

195934733-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Pixel PopperPixel Popper Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2007
    Welcome to Dgrin, and congrats on your first post! wings.gif

I like the feeling this shot conveys. The day is almost over, but it's just too much fun to quit. Must go for another wave!
    :ivar

I would really like to see a larger version of this image to be able to make an accurate evaluation. I like the fact that the subjects in the image are in silhouette. If I had to nit pick, I would say that the image could use a bit more contrast and some color correction. I think you might be able to find some more blue tones in the sky and the water, and still preserve the gold and red tones of the setting sun.

Do you have Photoshop or any other editing software? There are lots of folks in these forums who can give great technical advice about how to achieve these things, if you would like to try it.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing more of your work! :D
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    First post on Dgrin. Looking forward to sharing my (very amateur) work and getting feedback from you all.
    I'd like to start with this shot of a surfer in San Juan del Sur, Nicargua

195934733-M.jpg

Hi exploradora wave.gif. I'm afraid I don't see the pic. Do you have your gallery set to allow external links?

Regards,
  • Options
    Yes, I do have Photoshop and I would love to learn as much as possible about making my photos look great. I will go back and play with the contrast and color. Any tips are much appreciated. As far as posting a larger copy of the pic, I'm not sure how to do that.
    Also, I have now set my gallery for external links, thanks!!
  • Options
    OK, so here's a question for you. Did you add this image as an attachment, or did you add it as a link from another photo posting site? I ask because if you did it as an attachment, you are severely limited in the size of image you can upload. However, if the image is originally posted on another photo sharing site such as Smugmug, Picasa, Webshots, Flikr, etc., (there are a million of them) then you can simply link to the image on that site and have the freedom to determine what size you wish to post.

If you do it like that, you are not using up space on Dgrins servers, and you can also add multiple images in one thread, as opposed to only one small attachment per thread. Does that make sense?

Holla if you need some help!
  • Options
    Thanks Pixel Popper!
    I firgured out how to upload a large. Yes, I'm using smugmug. I played around with saturation and added blue with color variation and got a whole different look!
  • Options
    That's great! thumb.gif How about posting the new image so we can see it in the larger format and new color scheme.
  • Options
    198223207-L.jpg

Here's the new version. Better or Worse?
  • Options
    Little TLittle T Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    I think this is a great picture, i wonder how it would look though if u took out the darker area at the bottom and a little bit off the top.....

attachment.php?attachmentid=21236&stc=1&d=1190328028 ......

If you dont mind me retouching.
    http://jtrankler.smugmug.com
    jtrankler@gmail.com
    Canon 60D
    Tamron 28-75 2.8
    Canon 70-200 F4 L IS
  • Options
    For what it's worth, this is just an opinion, and I'm not sure how to go about technically achieving this suggestion. First, I would take the advise from above and crop a little of of the top and the bottom, which is easy to do, but beyond that, I wonder if there is something you can do to lighten the the waves so that the head and shoulders of the surfer stand out more against the dark water? With this newer version, the surfer is lost a little bit in the darkness.

I don't personally have the skills in Photoshop to tell you how to do that, but I'm sure someone on here can. Anyone?
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    The dark band on the bottom works for me. The sand, waves, horizon, and cloud layers form a series of horizontal lines all the way from bottom to top. The color and contrast is great in the modified shot!clap.gif The surfer and boats add scope to the symmetry of the land, sea, and sky.

Mike
    Looking for adventure in all the wrong places!