What Forums Do You Visit???

HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
edited September 25, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
OK folks, after they move Indie's thread over to "The Big Picture," I was struck that I might be spending too little time in other forums, maybe not getting the full impact out of Dgrin that I "might could," as we say it here in SC.

So I ask the question, "What Other Forums Do You Visit?" Let us know more about you by the forums that you regularly visit for inspiration and learning... Tell us also why.

Rather than post my own answer in a new post, I'll say that I regularly visit "Cameras," "Contests..., " "Sports," and "The Whipping Post." Really, Sports was where I hung out most of the time before getting into the LPS. The Whipping Post I go to a lot, but I don't post too much there, as I think others are far better at doing it. I suppose to expand myself, I've been spending a good bit of time over in Journeys..... Maybe ought to monitor Finishing School a lot more, given the demands of keeping up with y'all in the LPS!
Mark
www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..

Comments

• TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2007
    Funny you should ask that question Mark, cuz today I visited the "Wildlife" forum...lurked around, read a couple of things....Was thinking of posting a few of my "wildlife" shots....But I didn't see instructions as to WHY, HOW or is that forum that provides critique on your nature shots, I couldn't seem to find a "Foreword" sort to speak that explains what that forum is about.

Never really "lurked" around DGRIN, have always been too entertained here...lol

Oh and I never Knew about Smugmug or DGRIN until I entered the LPS contest, the link at Photograpyvoice.com led me here....and I'm happy it did!!

Back to add, and to tell ya the truth, I really haven't been visiting my "other" sites too much anymore...I pop in for a few then I'm gone and back here again....BP is my other "main" site.

Ooops sorry I fibbed (sort of)..Laughing.gif I have read the tutorials here, they are quite interesting and informative reading!!
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    1. Sports, Nature & Wildlife, Field & Street for inspiration and advanced knowledge on topics that I enjoy shooting

2. Technique for ... drumroll please... technique, as well as to occassionally participate in Nikolai's Assignment thread (although LPS participation usually trumps my Assignment participation)

3. Finishing School for processing and printing information. They kept me from chucking my Canon printer out of the window!

4. Smugmug Customization for those odd times that I actually have a moment to pretend that I understand how all of the technical web stuff works and futily attempt to apply it to my site.

5. Mind Your Own Business for the obvious also. I do find that the crowd in the MYOB forum is a lot harsher when it comes to discussing topics than here in the LPS (hard to believe, right?) but there is some useful info to be gleaned by their experience and ideas.

Overall, though, I spend the majority of my time here mainly because time is limited and I've come to kind of like my virtual friends iloveyou.gif lol Oh, I need to get out more......
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    I spend a lot of time perusing as many of the forums as I can, but obviously, it's difficult to cover them all! Generally, I click on "New Stuff" on the toolbar to get a quick overview of what's going on in as many places as possible. My main interests are the Contest & Challenges which I participate in and People my subject of choice. I'm a gear-aholic so I also like to spend time checking out the Camera, Accessories, and Flea Market. I'm an eclectic shooter, so I do visit most of the forums at one time or another! If only I had more time. mwink.gif On a Saturday morning, I might hit just about every forum! Sometimes the forums I visit are connected to what I might be shooting at the time. I did notice Indie's thread in the Challenge and wondered why it wasn't posted somewhere where others could participate.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    Tentacion wrote:
    Funny you should ask that question Mark, cuz today I visited the "Wildlife" forum...lurked around, read a couple of things....Was thinking of posting a few of my "wildlife" shots....But I didn't see instructions as to WHY, HOW or is that forum that provides critique on your nature shots, I couldn't seem to find a "Foreword" sort to speak that explains what that forum is about.

The nature people are a friendly and dedicated bunch, just like most of the folks on Dgrin. You generally will get more comments in that forum than alot of the others. If you want true C&C you can always ask!!! mwink.gif Some really talented photographers reside there.....put my bird shots to shame Laughing.gif:D
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    Since I shoot a little bit of everything, I tend to just hit the New Stuff button and pick topics that interest me. At various times I have browsed each of the forums, but it really depends on what I am working on at the moment.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    HoofClix wrote:
    The Whipping Post I go to a lot, but I don't post too much there, as I think others are far better at doing it.

Only one way to get better at it! mwink.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    i just log on and go to "new stuff" tab and see what looks interesting.. I do that on all the sites im on...
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    I didn't start using the "new stuff" button til baout a 2 months ago. I wish I knew how useful it was a long time ago. Another cool little tool that can help w/ browsing is on the forum main page towards the bottom in the middle. It's called, 'mark forums read'. It really helps graphically if your on here a decent bit and can see where the new stuff is instead of going into a forum to only see no posts have happened.

FWIW:
    Field & Street
    Holy Macro
    Other Cool Shots
    Technique
    Finishing School
    Mind Your Own Business
    SmugMug Customization

-Jon
    SloYerRoll wrote:

FWIW:
    Field & Street
    Holy Macro
    Other Cool Shots
    Technique
    Finishing School
    Mind Your Own Business
    SmugMug Customization

-Jon

Don't forget your invaluable contributions to The Whipping Post! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    I'm in total learning mode so I check out the Whipping Post, Assignments, Technique, MYOB, and... Contests, of course!
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    DavidTO wrote:
    Don't forget your invaluable contributions to The Whipping Post! :D
    Whoops!

TWP as well!
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    Great Stuff!

The "New Stuff" button... Now that I adjusted the contrast on my eyeballs, I see that there. Never saw it before.. Great idea...
    Mark
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2007
    Mostly Technique here. I'm definitely an amateur and Technique is a great place to learn. I like to try and keep up with the Contest and Challenges forum but am mostly working on Nik's weekly assignments, or, more recently, monthly assignments. Smugmug Customization and The Big Picture from time to time.

And, of course, New Stuff.
  • kp-pixkp-pix Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2007
    I don't contribute to any, as I haven't had very positive experiences with forums in the past. That sounded abrupt but not intended to be. It doesn't seem to matter how nice the crowd is at times, they often become aggressive and I am fairly shy but outspoken - so just keep my fingers set at shoosh lol, but I read a lot and love to look through images as much as possible, as I really enjoy other's work!clap.gif
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2007

I've found nothing but straight up know how and encouragement at dgrin. My favorite forums are LPS, Cool Shots, New Stuff, and People. "New Stuff" is current and hip.
    Growing with Dgrin

• kp-pixkp-pix Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    leaforte wrote:
    I've found nothing but straight up know how and encouragement at dgrin.

Agreed!
  • z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    HoofClix wrote:
    OK folks, after they move Indie's thread over to "The Big Picture," I was struck that I might be spending too little time in other forums, maybe not getting the full impact out of Dgrin that I "might could," as we say it here in SC.

So I ask the question, "What Other Forums Do You Visit?" Let us know more about you by the forums that you regularly visit for inspiration and learning... Tell us also why.

Rather than post my own answer in a new post, I'll say that I regularly visit "Cameras," "Contests..., " "Sports," and "The Whipping Post." Really, Sports was where I hung out most of the time before getting into the LPS. The Whipping Post I go to a lot, but I don't post too much there, as I think others are far better at doing it. I suppose to expand myself, I've been spending a good bit of time over in Journeys..... Maybe ought to monitor Finishing School a lot more, given the demands of keeping up with y'all in the LPS!

Why do you post it in "Contests & Challenges" Forum ?

D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    I am completely addicted to the New Stuff button. I also find the My Subscribed Threads entry under Quick Links useful when I want to revisit an old thread.
  • Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    My list is short:

1. The Whipping Post.
    2. And now LPS. But only because I was tricked into it!
    3. And customization from time to time, when I need help, and/or I can make a contribution of something I've customized for my site.

I just don't have much time for more!
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2007
    z_28 wrote:
    Why do you post it in "Contests & Challenges" Forum ?

I take this as a question about the fact that I started this thread in this forum, so correct me if I've misunderstood.

I started this thread in "Contests" because this is the thread where I'm in conversation with folks who regularly come here, plain and simple. AND, it's a question that I was truly curious about.
    Mark
    edited September 25, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    I take this as a question about the fact that I started this thread in this forum, so correct me if I've misunderstood.

I started this thread in "Contests" because this is the thread where I'm in conversation with folks who regularly come here, plain and simple. AND, it's a question that I was truly curious about.

AND the responses have actually drawn me to look at other forums. Well done, Mark! clap.gif

ACtually Mark, I agree with Felicia...had it not been for this thread, I might not have started looking and/or posting in the other forums...I just never thought there was Life out of the Contest Thread...(sort to speak) :D

I actually thought the other forums were for "smugmug" account holders....Yeah, chalk it up for Donna...another Blonde Moment..mwink.gif
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    Tentacion wrote:
    ACtually Mark, I agree with Felicia...had it not been for this thread, I might not have started looking and/or posting in the other forums...I just never thought there was Life out of the Contest Thread...(sort to speak) :D

I actually thought the other forums were for "smugmug" account holders....Yeah, chalk it up for Donna...another Blonde Moment..mwink.gif

Hey, Donna! I had what I call a "blond year." For an entire year, I thought I was a year older than I really was... About 2 months before my birthday, I turned to my husband and told him I couldn't believe I was turning 34 already. He looked a me like I had lost my mind and said, "No, you're not!" Then we got into an argument about it. I actually had to do the math... and I'm not that great at simple math... When I figured it out, I was in a funk for a week because I felt like I'd lost a year of my life.rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

rolleyes1.gif
    Felicia wrote:
    Hey, Donna! I had what I call a "blond year." For an entire year, I thought I was a year older than I really was... About 2 months before my birthday, I turned to my husband and told him I couldn't believe I was turning 34 already. He looked a me like I had lost my mind and said, "No, you're not!" Then we got into an argument about it. I actually had to do the math... and I'm not that great at simple math... When I figured it out, I was in a funk for a week because I felt like I'd lost a year of my life.rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Whoohaaaa Felicia..you should have been HAPPY...you were a Year Younger...and now you gained a year to make up for it...so if you look at it, you really didn't loose it....Laughing.gifLaughing.gif

(hhhmmmm...is this what they mean by Seeing the glass half empty or half full)..Laughing.gif

That really is a Blonde Moment.11doh.gif..lmao...I will hand over the trophy now, I will admit to defeat..:curtsey .! rolleyes1.gif

BTW love your new avatar..like the other too.friday.gif
    Tentacion wrote:

clap.gif

Dgrin has so much to offer, if only you look! :D

Don't forget to check out the navbar at the top for tutes, reviews, galleries, etc.

And if you have any questions, don't forget about our Dgrin Forum Support, er... Forum! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Tentacion wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

Whoohaaaa Felicia..you should have been HAPPY...you were a Year Younger...and now you gained a year to make up for it...so if you look at it, you really didn't loose it....Laughing.gifLaughing.gif

(hhhmmmm...is this what they mean by Seeing the glass half empty or half full)..Laughing.gif

That really is a Blonde Moment.11doh.gif..lmao...I will hand over the trophy now, I will admit to defeat..:curtsey .! rolleyes1.gif

BTW love your new avatar..like the other too.friday.gif

I humbly accept the trophy and will display it with honor. :D

Oh, and glad you like the avatar. iloveyou.gif