delurking with a portrait

cramcram Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited September 24, 2007 in People
Hi all, I have been lurking for a couple of months and am really enjoying everything here. In fact it is part of the reason that I have come back to photography after a long absence. Anyway, wanted to share a pic/portrait I took of my wife and get your feed back (also reason to delurk).

1407942670_24894d832c.jpg
Taken in a tonkatsu (fried pork cutlet) restuarant in Shinjuku, Tokyo. She knew the camera was out, but didn't notice that I was taking pictures.

Thanks for feedback.
Marc

Comments

• Little TLittle T Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2007
    Sneaky, sneaky :)

She looks rather peaceful, just sitting there all innocent and unsuspecting :D

Be alot nicer if the pot wasnt in the picture but still i think its a really nice shot.

I cant wait to go to japan myself! 3 weeks to go!!!!!
    http://jtrankler.smugmug.com
    jtrankler@gmail.com
    Canon 60D
    Tamron 28-75 2.8
    Canon 70-200 F4 L IS
  • cramcram Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 22, 2007
    Thanks for your comments
    Funny, I kind of like the pot, but I see what you mean.
    Where are you going in Japan? I lived there for three years and always enjoy when I get the chance to go back.
  • hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2007
    I like the perspective, and she's a lovely subject. Good conversion, too - You should post more!
  • Little TLittle T Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2007
    cram wrote:
    Thanks for your comments
    Funny, I kind of like the pot, but I see what you mean.
    Where are you going in Japan? I lived there for three years and always enjoy when I get the chance to go back.

Not 100% sure i know its right outside tokyo though beleive to the south of it. My brother has lived there for 8 years now and just had his wedding here in the states this past weekend, but having a second one over there...

Wedding here was a traditional catholic wedding, the one over there will be a traditional japanese wedding.
    http://jtrankler.smugmug.com
    jtrankler@gmail.com
    Canon 60D
    Tamron 28-75 2.8
    Canon 70-200 F4 L IS
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    Lovely! The angle uses those elements of the table and ceiling as leading lines that draw the eye to the subject, and they are strong enough that including the pot and such on the table serve as added context as to where this photo is being taken without those details being just clutter. I love it! Great job.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    hamster wrote:
    I like the perspective, and she's a lovely subject. Good conversion, too - You should post more!
    thanks. this was one of my first attempts to convert a pic to b&w with ps...glad it worked :)
    Little T wrote:
    Not 100% sure i know its right outside tokyo though beleive to the south of it. My brother has lived there for 8 years now and just had his wedding here in the states this past weekend, but having a second one over there...

Wedding here was a traditional catholic wedding, the one over there will be a traditional japanese wedding.

Congratulations to your brother and have fun at the wedding. Hope your brother does better than I did at mine...I was so nervous that I mis-interpreted instructions in Japanese from the Shinto priest and did things like turning the wrong direction and accidentally putting my ring on my wife's finger dispite her moving her hand so I couldn't and shaking her head because she knew it was the wrong ring. The video is a laugh riot
    Lovely! The angle uses those elements of the table and ceiling as leading lines that draw the eye to the subject, and they are strong enough that including the pot and such on the table serve as added context as to where this photo is being taken without those details being just clutter. I love it! Great job.

Thanks so much for the very kind comments!