SmugBadges (For blogs etc.)

RichardJohnRichardJohn Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
edited March 27, 2008 in SmugMug Support
SmugBadges
SmugBadges generates Flickr badge like widgets for blogs, websites etc.
It's a bit basic at the moment, but I'll make some improvements over the weekend. You can also style it yourself with CSS (I'll probably be tweaking the design a bit soon).

edit: Probably should have mentioned what it does better! It gets your most recently uploaded images. Any suggestions very welcome!

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2007
    Neat - I'll try it out in a bit thumb.gif
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2007
    SmugBadges
    SmugBadges generates Flickr badge like widgets for blogs, websites etc.
    It's a bit basic at the moment, but I'l lmake some improvements over the weekend. You can also style it yourself with CSS (I'll probably be tweaking the design a bit soon).

Not working for me in FF or IE.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    Works in Safari! thumb.gif

(But I got 9 images all from the same gallery :cry )
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • RichardJohnRichardJohn Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    RogersDA wrote:
    Not working for me in FF or IE.
    Working here in FF (Gecko), IE (Trident), Opera (Presto), and Konqueror (KHTML/WebKit), so that should mean working in all major browsers! Do you have Javascript turned off?

DavidTO wrote:
    Works in Safari! thumb.gif

(But I got 9 images all from the same gallery :cry )

It's your most recent images - is there a different order you'd like to see?
  • DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    Not working here in FF. It just grabs the description and not the photos.

IE not working either.

198376942-L.jpg

Andrew
    Dna wrote:

Andrew

Are you sure that wasn't just the images loading? Sounds like you were seeing the alt text.
    Are you sure that wasn't just the images loading? Sounds like you were seeing the alt text.
    Well it says it's done...

I posted a screenshot above.

tried on two different websites too ...

Andrew
    Dna wrote:
    Well it says it's done...

I posted a screenshot above.

tried on two different websites too ...

Andrew

I just looked with your username.. for some reason your RSS feed is returning http://lsv.smugmug.com/photos/140525494-Ti-1.jpg as the image URL, rather than http://lsv.smugmug.com/photos/140525494-Ti.jpg . I'm not sure why this is happening - I'll have to wait for someone from SmugMug to comment!
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    It returns images for me in FF2 on WinXP SP2. But... it grabs all images from the gallery where the most recent images are. I know for a fact that of the 9 latest images, at the most 6 are in my gallery of Maastricht NL (other newer images are in the Meinweg gallery), but if I use a setting of more than 6, it still only returns images from the Maastricht gallery, even if the images over 6 are way older than images from other directories.
    enjoy being here while getting there
    Hmm, it's taking the "recent photos" RSS feed. I hadn't imagined it would work like that (and since all my galleries revolve around events, hadn't noticed). I'll have to write my own code for getting the most recent images, although this will slow it down quite a bit.

That's 2 problems with that feed now!
    I just looked with your username.. for some reason your RSS feed is returning http://lsv.smugmug.com/photos/140525494-Ti-1.jpg as the image URL, rather than http://lsv.smugmug.com/photos/140525494-Ti.jpg . I'm not sure why this is happening - I'll have to wait for someone from SmugMug to comment!
    It means that it has been altered on Smugmug, eg rotated etc.

Andrew
    Hmm, regardless, there's still no image at the image it provides. Perhaps they're not generating the tiny thumbnails after modification?
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2007
    Hey Richard,

For some reason, the page (step2?) with the badge is not showing in IE6, but I can view the same page in FF. Any ideas? ear.gif
    edited October 14, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Hey Richard,

For some reason, the page (step2?) with the badge is not showing in IE6, but I can view the same page in FF. Any ideas? ear.gif

Fixed - IE7 wanted a full closing tag, rather than a self closing.

The app is still a bit broken until the problems with the feeds and thumbnails are fixed!
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    I'm getting the same as Dna, just text. ne_nau.gif
    edited October 15, 2007
    I'm getting the same as Dna, just text. ne_nau.gif

It's because you've modified your photos. SmugMug doesn't seem to generate new tiny thumbnails for modified photos. I can't really fix it until SmugMug fixes it!
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    It's because you've modified your photos. SmugMug doesn't seem to generate new tiny thumbnails for modified photos. I can't really fix it until SmugMug fixes it!

No, that's not it. Both URLs would work - but I believe those galleries have External Links disabled. :)
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Found another bug -- you're not escaping your text. So my single quote in a caption is screwing things up here:

http://www.darryl.com/smugbadges.html

(Actual feed here: http://gladlee.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=nicknameRecentPhotos&Data=gladlee&format=rss200)

--Darryl
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Also, when I tried this with the dgrin feed, I got this broken image: badge-top.png

http://www.darryl.com/smugbadges2.html

It doesn't exist in my root directory. Is it supposed to be pulled from your website?

Neat stuff though! Alas, it won't work with a site-wide-password-protected site, so I'm still working on my Javascript-only solution ([post=681157]with which I need lots of help[/post]). :-}
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 14, 2007
    darryl wrote:
    Found another bug -- you're not escaping your text. So my single quote in a caption is screwing things up here:

http://www.darryl.com/smugbadges.html

(Actual feed here: http://gladlee.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=nicknameRecentPhotos&Data=gladlee&format=rss200)

--Darryl

Darryl,

Is it a single quote ? or the carriage return in your title/description ?

I believe the latter.

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Works for me in Firefox on Windoze XP
    and IE on Windoze XP

although the smugmug logo is not showing up on either

check out www dot louandjase dot com if you like - ignore the family stuff please :)

Cheers
    Jase
  • JamfishJamfish Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited December 3, 2007
    Dna wrote:

IE not working either.

198376942-L.jpg

Andrew
    It seems we're back to this behavior again this morning; with the exception of the SmugMug logo png not appearing correctly, it was working fine yesterday.

Now, I'm just getting the alt text for each photo this morning (as pictured).
  • jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    still working in FF and IE for me....
    except the smugmug logo which never shows

Jase
    edited December 4, 2007
    jasonstone wrote:
    still working in FF and IE for me....
    except the smugmug logo which never shows

Jase

Doh! My last bulk-edit included turning all 'external links' off! I still have the broken SmugMug logo, but at least the pics are showing now that I've turned external links back on.
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    This is very cool! Thanks!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • thenimirrathenimirra Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    I would like to add this badge to my blog as well but all I get in my preview is a single gray bar with no photos or anything else showing. Can someone please help? Thanks

picture-yourworld.com
  • fiatsurffiatsurf Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Cool stuff! Works fine on my blog... is there a way to make it so the links open automatically in a new window? I know the old html way (a target="_blank") but don't know if that would apply to this... thanks, Toby
    edited March 27, 2008
    thenimirra wrote:
    I would like to add this badge to my blog as well but all I get in my preview is a single gray bar with no photos or anything else showing. Can someone please help? Thanks

picture-yourworld.com

That would be because the account where the badge rendering takes place has been suspended:
    Account suspended
    Account for domain meejer.com has been suspended

*sigh* SmugMug: would it be too much to ask to have some sort of properly supported version?