Options

Wd40

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited March 3, 2005 in Landscapes
Comments welcome and encouraged. Thank you.
16726329-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    When I first read the title,I thought OMG he using it on his cam:D

The comp and colors work for me.
  • Options
    johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    Very nice Angelo... This is one of your better shots. Good job. thumb.gif

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    When I first read the title,I thought OMG he using it on his cam:D

The comp and colors work for me.
    Only when shooting older actresses. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2005
    johno wrote:
    Very nice Angelo... This is one of your better shots. Good job. thumb.gif

peace.
    johno~
    gee thanks Johno; I appreciate that.
  • Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    Angelo

I love this shot! I only wonder if the leaves on the left hand side (out of focus) take away from your perfect DOF? Everything seems to be in focus here, except the leaves on the side.

That said, I love the composition and colors! I can't wait for Spring in Oregon
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    You can almost hear the gate squeak when it opens Angelo.. Nice shot..
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    Ok, here goes...
    Initial impression-

This is a 'snapshot' of a gate. The colors are cool, the exposure is good, sharpness and detail have been captured. DOF is good for the subject and it's in focus. I can see why this scene caught your eye, it's interesting and as said above the colors are very attractive.

What 'hurts' this shot-

Two things stick out that turn me off-the out of focus leaves in the foreground (someone else mentioned these as well), and the light and mailbox. The leaves are unnecessary and the light and mailbox are unnatractive and add nothing to the shot.

How *I* would shoot this-

Get down low, yes you will lose the nice curved upper portion of the gate-BUT you will eliminate the mailbox and light post. Move in closer and eliminate the leaves in the foreground. Crop your shot (either in-camera or in post processing) so that you are working with only two main elements-the bricks and the gate. Try several different angles of view between the bricks and the bars of the gate. Play around with larger and smaller crops of the shot until you find one or several that you really like. Add a pinch of salt mwink.gif

You have a great foundation here to work with and I see many possibilities to explore. Your *eye* is looking in the right direction, I just think it needs a little fine tuning.

Take care, and have fun with this!

Angelo wrote:
    Comments welcome and encouraged. Thank you.

16726329-L.jpg
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    Hey Angelo!

I'm making my way through your threads tonight, trying to catch up on what I've been missing lately. I hope you don't think I'm picking on you.

My impression of this shot is, great subject, tons of potential. That rust, metal & brick can make an amazing combination. You just need to experiment a little, this is the fun part.

What I see as a potential shot is a little different. Here is a quick mockup of what I would do in that situation. I'd get down, get close & get crooked. Nobody ever said you had to keep the camera level.

If the gate is close, I'd suggest going back & just experimenting. This is a great image to expand on, both in shot, an in post processing.

Dave