Need for speed/ snapshots

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited September 24, 2007 in People
Today, my daughter's cheerleading squad and some of the varsity football players went to a local elementary school to conduct a pep-rally. My nephew goes to school there. They all had a blast. The older kids signed autographs, did cheer stunts, and played games. There was also refreshments and face painting. These are all...well I think I cropped one, straight out of the camera. The lighting was bald sun beginning at noon.....very harsh. This gave me a chance to see what my new 580EX flash could do for me. I was pleased with the results. Especially excited about the high speed synch mode. Thank you Canon!!!! Here are a few of the snapshots.

1. My daughter and nephew....1/400SS Flash fired

198244592-M.jpg

2. Some of the girls fill flash used here again.198243811-M.jpg

3. No Flash here, but a good excersize for the fast focusing Canon 85MM F1.8 and AV Servo focus mode

198245562-M.jpg

4. Nice eyes!!
198243818-M.jpg

5 Better cover them up!!

198245349-M.jpg

6. 1/1250 will definately stop action!!198244776-M.jpg

7. 1/500 will too

198244992-M.jpg

8 1/1000.....no flash

198245912-M.jpg

9. another...no flash at 1/1000

198246077-M.jpg

Well......these definately aren't my artsiest set, but they were a lot of fun to take, and gave me a chance to try out some of my gear in ways I don't get much of a chance to do. Oh ok here is one arsty one.

10.F22 1/20 SS.....no flash....I wanted second curtain synch, but couldn't get it figured out.....and why did I leave my monopod at home. It is great for panning shots like this....but better!!!

198246109-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2007
    That number 6 shot is FREAKY!!! fun experiments, all of them! Thanks for showing us the settings on each. The fill flash in #2 looks pretty darn good to my eyes considering the "big bald sun!"

Fun series!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2007
    Great shots! I had to look at number 6 for a while, it is freaky!!!! Your daughter is very lovely...
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    Fun shots! And it looks like you've figured out the flash well. (I'm so jealous!) Please tell me that cheerleader did not land square on her head! eek7.gif Thanks for sharing these!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • GP ImagesGP Images Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    Superb! Great shots, thanks for sharing.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    urbanaries wrote:
    That number 6 shot is FREAKY!!! fun experiments, all of them! Thanks for showing us the settings on each. The fill flash in #2 looks pretty darn good to my eyes considering the "big bald sun!"

Fun series!

#6 she was doing a backflip, and landed upright on her feet!!!
  • JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2007
    Great Shots Jeff. I like #1 the best. You sure do have a beautiful daughter. She has beautiful eyes and smile. Hope you keep a loaded shotgun by the front door. When I took sports photograhy I always came back with more photos of the cheerleaders than I did the sports action. My daughter was a cheerleader too. It is difficult to stop the action at times. You did a great.

Your daughter might want to look at these. They aren't as good as yours. They were taken with a P&S (all I had with me when I took them). They were shooting the next version of "Bring It On 4".

http://jester.smugmug.com/gallery/3519003#198778119
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    Very good job with the fill flash on #1 and #2. On #2, you have to have a practiced eye to even know that you used flash. thumb.gif
    Very good job with the fill flash on #1 and #2. On #2, you have to have a practiced eye to even know that you used flash. thumb.gif

I would be interested in knowing what gives the use of flash away in #2. I see a couple things, but would be interested in what you see that tells you that a flash was used.....other than me saying so. The girl to the far right has a slight shadow under her chin that would be abnormal from the direction of the sunlight alone, and there is a reflection in my daughter's bottom lip that was probably caused by the flash. Is there any other tell tale signs?
  • chopskychopsky Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2007
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I would be interested in knowing what gives the use of flash away in #2. I see a couple things, but would be interested in what you see that tells you that a flash was used.....other than me saying so. The girl to the far right has a slight shadow under her chin that would be abnormal from the direction of the sunlight alone, and there is a reflection in my daughter's bottom lip that was probably caused by the flash. Is there any other tell tale signs?

It's a dead give-away because the light/shadows are flat. Can spot an on-camera flash a mile away. If the light was coming from above, there would be shadows under the chin/nose etc.
    Currently Using:
    body: canon 400d
    lenses:
    50mm 1.8 & 10-22mm

Grant Shapiro Design & Photography
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    You mean, aside from the fact that the ladies are back-lite and there are no shadows on their faces? These are well done and you should be very proud of the result. I know I would be if I ever get to that point!
    You mean, aside from the fact that the ladies are back-lite and there are no shadows on their faces? These are well done and you should be very proud of the result. I know I would be if I ever get to that point!

Laughing.gif oh ok......well don't be so hard on yourself you are light years ahead of me. I was actually whirling that FEC knob all over the place trying to get things just right. Of course, for candids the settings are off on every other photo because the distance is constantly changing. I was impressed with the power of the flash in daylight, but my methods are still yet unimpressive even if I spit out an impressive photo now and then. Thanks for the reply.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2007
    Nice job with the fill flash on the first two.