WPBC San Diego, take two

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited September 24, 2007 in People
It's pretty hard to go after excellent Jeff's post, but hey, I try :-)

01: Into the isle:

198390178-L.jpg

02: Here she comes:

198390190-L.jpg

03: Dearly beloved:

198390227-L.jpg

04: Veil off:

198390240-L.jpg

05: What token giveth thee:

198390257-L.jpg

06: First kiss:

198390281-L.jpg

07: Just married:

198390299-L.jpg

08: Publicly intimate:

198390321-L.jpg

09: Dreamworld:

198390335-L.jpg

10: You gotta be kidding:

198390346-L.jpg

11: Life's good:

198390370-L.jpg

12: Together:

198390395-L.jpg

13: By the pool:

198390409-L.jpg

14: Happiness:

198390422-L.jpg

15: Sun kiss:

198390440-L.jpg

C&C are welcome!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2007
    Several very good shots Nikolai and Jeff !!!
    Congratulations thumb.gif

On a side, looks as great event not only by wedding photography.

My conclusion, since now I want to shot stunt weddings only !
    Real ones don't offer so much B&G cooperation and participation.

P.S. give us more, please mwink.gif
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    z_28 wrote:

Laughing.gif! rolleyes1.gif
    Thanks! thumb.gif
    I'm sure the rest of the gang will pitch in soon :-)
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    #6 First Kiss - that's well done.bowdown.gif

#9 Dreamworld is interesting. I looked at it and looked at it, trying to figure out how you got the reflection to be upright. Then, I saw the blossoms - they're upside-down. I believe you inverted the image. Cool idea. Would it improve the image if the flowers were cloned out - just to extend the illusion a bit more?

#10 You gotta be kidding - Love her expression. Was that candid? How did you evoke that reaction?
    #6 First Kiss - that's well done.bowdown.gif
    Oh, thanks, Scott, appreciate it!
    #9 Dreamworld is interesting. I looked at it and looked at it, trying to figure out how you got the reflection to be upright. Then, I saw the blossoms - they're upside-down. I believe you inverted the image. Cool idea. Would it improve the image if the flowers were cloned out - just to extend the illusion a bit more?
    Yeah, I need to flip the lyllies.. Maybe tonight.. :-)
    #10 You gotta be kidding - Love her expression. Was that candid? How did you evoke that reaction?
    Shay instructed us to direct the models a bit. While we were shooting around the pool I asked them to dance, to tell jokes, to tell dirty jokes, etc. mwink.gif Guess that helped :ivar
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    Wow! Exceptionally nice series Nik! Ya done good! I like how relaxed they appear in all the shots, especially as in #'s 8-12. My fav of the bunch, though, is #14. Just love that backlighting! clap.gif
    saurora wrote:
    Wow! Exceptionally nice series Nik! Ya done good! I like how relaxed they appear in all the shots, especially as in #'s 8-12. My fav of the bunch, though, is #14. Just love that backlighting! clap.gif
    Thank you, Susan! thumb.gif
    "Relaxing" part has a lot to do with Shay's signature photo-journalistic style he taught us, plus the B&G were very cooperative (despite the fact they had to go through the same routine 8 times mwink.gif )
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    Good Job, Nik
    Nik - love your images. Won't be able to work on mine for a few days yet. Too much work to do. Good news is that my paying client loved some images that I worked on when I got home. Ca-ching$$$$$! Gotta pay for some new off camera flash.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
    ChatKat wrote:
    Nik - love your images. Won't be able to work on mine for a few days yet. Too much work to do. Good news is that my paying client loved some images that I worked on when I got home. Ca-ching$$$$$! Gotta pay for some new off camera flash.
    Thanks Kathy!
    I guess, the ka-ching is the one that counts mwink.gif I wish I could say that ne_nau.gif
  • chopskychopsky Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks Kathy!
    I guess, the ka-ching is the one that counts mwink.gif I wish I could say that ne_nau.gif

some of your photos, like 02, are lacking contrast.

anyhoo, I took a stab at editing that one (for a bit of practice to see what i could do with it).
    gave it a bit of a vintage look.
    Currently Using:
    body: canon 400d
    lenses:
    50mm 1.8 & 10-22mm

Grant Shapiro Design & Photography
    chopsky wrote:
    some of your photos, like 02, are lacking contrast.

anyhoo, I took a stab at editing that one (for a bit of practice to see what i could do with it).
    gave it a bit of a 70s (i believe) look 'n feel.
    Thank you!
  • Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    Nik.... thought you said you didn't get any good ones? These are great? clap.gif I expecially love #1, has a very classic dramatic feel. Her expression in #10 is priceless. Your reflections came out so much better than mine! bowdown.gif

z_28 wrote:

Thank you Z. The models were great, Jen did an outstanding job selecting them. What makes the photos so real is that they had just been married a few weeks ago and they were still so very much in love. You just cant fake that kind of interaction.

Oh, and here is Mr Darth SLR himself scoping out locations........

_MG_1892.jpg
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
    Refresh your browsers, I processed it a bit :-) :ivar
    Hey Jeff,
    Nik.... thought you said you didn't get any good ones? These are great? clap.gif I expecially love #1, has a very classic dramatic feel. Her expression in #10 is priceless. Your reflections came out so much better than mine! bowdown.gif
    Sorry for the delay with the answer: the unexpected showers killed the cable, I was Internetless for a few hours. Man, talking about withdrawals :-)
    I'm still a bit bummed about the fact that I lost at least 5 minutes out of the 15 for walking the whole gang to the spot. I thought timer wouldn't start until we get there. And of course the gardens were closed by the time we get there, you remember... I'm so jealous that you got to shoot them across the street, those "standing/sitting" of yours were absolutely my favorites! thumb.gif
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2007
    It's about love...and these lovers truely are. Nice capture. Love lights a photo, as love should.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    ChatKat wrote:
    Gotta pay for some new off camera flash.
    That's the first thing I did when I got back from the Denver WPBC - buy some off-camera lighting. I get to use it two times this weekend - two weddings!! I'm so stoked!wings.gif

The re-work on #9 is great! thumb.gif
    The re-work on #9 is great! thumb.gif
    Thanks, man! thumb.gif
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    Beautiful work Nik!

Oh and as far as being jealous about what others shot, remember that everyone shoots and thinks along different lines. Your work was great and Jeff was able to also get great work with a different flavor that will come to represent him and his style.

Photojournalistic wedding photography is not a commodity, it truely is art that is unique to each photographer. So work on making your art as good as it can be. And based on what you have shown here, you have a large headstart on many new wedding photographers mwink.gifclap.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    Beautiful work Nik!

Oh and as far as being jealous about what others shot, remember that everyone shoots and thinks along different lines. Your work was great and Jeff was able to also get great work with a different flavor that will come to represent him and his style.

Photojournalistic wedding photography is not a commodity, it truely is art that is unique to each photographer. So work on making your art as good as it can be. And based on what you have shown here, you have a large headstart on many new wedding photographers mwink.gifclap.gif
    Thanks, Shay, much appreciated! thumb.gifbowdown.gif
    I guess the *only* thing now is to get my name out.. But that's for the MYOB section mwink.gif
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2007
    We have to make a networking date
    Nik,

When you get back from the shootout, we're going to have to make a date to go networking....there are three events next week that'd have been great but you will be gone and it's Frank's birthday....
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
    edited September 23, 2007
    ChatKat wrote:
    Nik,

When you get back from the shootout, we're going to have to make a date to go networking....there are three events next week that'd have been great but you will be gone and it's Frank's birthday....

That'd be awesome! I'll call take you upon it! thumb.gif
    BTW, it looks like I'm going back to Sandy Eggo Oct 6th for a day ;-) mwink.gif
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2007
    I'm a little late to the party but I can't pass this one up! mwink.gif

1. Love the use of the doors here, boy are they striking!!! Nice backlighting too.
    2. Really great exposure, from experience this shot is the trickiest of the bunch with Shay's setup. I really like what you've done here!
    3. Looks a couple of degrees off horizon but awesome light and emotion here!
    4. Nice angle!
    5. Wow, talk about closeup! great "action". This is a tough shot to nail! way to go!
    6. First kiss: YEAH!!! great anticipation, you caught the right moment!
    7. not my favorite...he's a little dark and she's mid-expression?
    8: Very sweet.
    9: Dreamworld: Great seeing and execution. I like the flowers flipped in this one, great change. This is super creative stuff. Their pose, interaction, the composition, colors, exposure...this one has it all! ahhhhhhhbowdown.gif

198390335-L.jpg

10: Cute! She looks like she has a really sweet, funny personality in this one.
    11: Life's good: A little flat...not my fave but still cute.
    12: Together: Light's just too spotty over his face in this one for my taste
    13: By the pool: my second favorite behind dreamworld, I love the composition on this one. Very nice!!
    14: Happiness: Great interaction
    15: Sun kiss: I am a sucker for backlit silhouette shots and this one looks AWESOME in color!!! what a great "The End" shot.

WOW Beautiful series Nikolai, it is so interesting to see what the "sophomore" class pulled out of the great WPBC experience! Looks like you guys had a great time, too!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    urbanaries wrote:
    I'm a little late to the party but I can't pass this one up! mwink.gif

1. Love the use of the doors here, boy are they striking!!! Nice backlighting too.
    2. Really great exposure, from experience this shot is the trickiest of the bunch with Shay's setup. I really like what you've done here!
    3. Looks a couple of degrees off horizon but awesome light and emotion here!
    4. Nice angle!
    5. Wow, talk about closeup! great "action". This is a tough shot to nail! way to go!
    6. First kiss: YEAH!!! great anticipation, you caught the right moment!
    7. not my favorite...he's a little dark and she's mid-expression?
    8: Very sweet.
    9: Dreamworld: Great seeing and execution. I like the flowers flipped in this one, great change. This is super creative stuff. Their pose, interaction, the composition, colors, exposure...this one has it all! ahhhhhhhbowdown.gif
    10: Cute! She looks like she has a really sweet, funny personality in this one.
    11: Life's good: A little flat...not my fave but still cute.
    12: Together: Light's just too spotty over his face in this one for my taste
    13: By the pool: my second favorite behind dreamworld, I love the composition on this one. Very nice!!
    14: Happiness: Great interaction
    15: Sun kiss: I am a sucker for backlit silhouette shots and this one looks AWESOME in color!!! what a great "The End" shot.

WOW Beautiful series Nikolai, it is so interesting to see what the "sophomore" class pulled out of the great WPBC experience! Looks like you guys had a great time, too!

Wow, Lynne, you really got into this whole LPS-inspired feedback :-) mwink.gif
    Thank you for your time, much appreciated! thumb.gifbowdown.gif
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    Wow, Lynne, you really got into this whole LPS-inspired feedback :-) mwink.gif
    Thank you for your time, much appreciated! thumb.gifbowdown.gif

heh, well everyone always takes the time to give me thoughtful critique, the least I could do is return the favor!!! I don't see you posting in the people forum much so I was so excited to see your shots! :D
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    urbanaries wrote:
    heh, well everyone always takes the time to give me thoughtful critique, the least I could do is return the favor!!! I don't see you posting in the people forum much so I was so excited to see your shots! :D

In this case you're in for a treat mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif