Some Portrait

ravicravic Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
edited September 22, 2007 in People
Some portrait picture of my wife. Thanks for the comments.

1#
1417284632_17eaa3e12f_o.jpg

2#
1417284636_a13b974877_o.jpg

Rds,

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2007
    #1 - Love the rim light and the way the light bounced off the rose to illuminate her lips. It even imparts some nice red tones on her lips. I think it would have been nice to see the stem of the flower a little better. IMNSHO - this is a very nice portrait.thumb.gif

#2 - This one's not working for me. If I see the face I also like to see the eyes. The printing on the shirt on her left shoulder is distracting - I keep looking at it trying to figure out what it says. Same thing for the white splotch of something at her throat. I do, however, really like the lighting - it's pretty cool.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    #1. This is lit very well, but for me, feels a little contrived and outdated. That said, if this were to work, I would expect the outline of her face to be razor sharp, and it isn't. Something funny going on around her lips, looks like some cloning maybe?

#2. I actually really like this one. Makes me feel like I am watching her dance and she thinks she's alone. I like the softness and slight blur, implies motion. I think a tighter crop (or, a MUCH looser one, with some more purposeful negative space) could work. I do agree with Scott the clothing has got to go, though...the cartoon character is contradicting the feel of the photo.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    I agree w/Lynne about the lack of sharpness in #1 and I also am seeing some odd color blobs on her nose as well as lips. #2 has the most possibilities to me. I don't mind the crop, and I like seeing her slight smile even though there is no eye contact. I think if her shoulders area had been bare of clothing it would have made for a wonderful shot.
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2007
    I loved #2... The first just seems like you did some paint bucket or selective darkening and it wasn't a good fit. (it might be just me) The second is wonderful- it is a leading picture to my eyes. I love it.
    Of course, this is all in my little opinion!
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    #1. has been done too many times for my taste.

#2. It's a great shot.
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • ravicravic Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    Thank all of you for your comments. Your comments will help me to take the photograph better and better.
    Rds,
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    Your point is???
    salazar wrote:

The reason it's been done so many times is because it's good stuff, people like it, and it shows the beautiful line of a woman's face. Just because something's been done a lot, doesn't mean it's not great.

Maybe you had sex once too. Didja quit 'cause you'd done it once??
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    Icebear wrote:
    salazar wrote:

The reason it's been done so many times is because it's good stuff, people like it, and it shows the beautiful line of a woman's face. Just because something's been done a lot, doesn't mean it's not great.

Maybe you had sex once too. Didja quit 'cause you'd done it once??

Nope.
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.