GPS for Canon?

RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
edited September 22, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
I saw this thing the other day:
http://www.dawntech.hk/di-GPS/n2.htm

Just wondering if anyone has seen or heard of one that may be coming out for Canon? I've looked around and the closest thing I can come up with are the small GPS receivers that just record a track, then later you have to match the data. This one for Nikon turns on and off with the camera, automatically writes the GPS coordinates to the files when they are taken, and uses the cameras power (no trying to remember to charge the thing or to turn it off)

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2007
    My last conversation with canon was a negative on their part....I was told they have no intentions to put gps ability into their cameras as most sports shooters do not need it........

I curently use Garmins Etrex and some free softeware to do the matching...it really is not a pain just must mal=ke sure that your camera and gps clocks a as close as possible as that is how it links the data......as for the link you provide for me that unit has a very large dis advantage, it only is usable on a dslr...I cannot use it for tracking or backtracking so the handheld units are much more practical for me ...........if you shot Nikon then there is a cable to attach many of the garmin and magellan handhelds directly to camera and stil be ble to use the gps for back tracking or whatever it is needed for.....sucha s having a gps map to a destination for a photo op and loadingg that into the gps and following to said spot........

My software comes from WWMX .ORG(WORLD WIDE MEDIA EXCHANGE) .....IT IS FREE.........the link is too their home page.....this is PC based.......their is one for Mac also but do not remember the name of the site.

Good luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• blalorblalor Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited September 22, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    My last conversation with canon was a negative on their part....I was told they have no intentions to put gps ability into their cameras as most sports shooters do not need it........
    The new wireless file transmitter for the 40D (WFT-E3A) has GPS integration.
    Designed exclusively for the EOS 40D SLR, the new Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E3A permits wireless transfer and back-up, as well as remote control of the camera in Live View mode. It can also be connected to various GPS receivers or Hi-Speed USB 2.0 external storage devices such as convenient flash drives or high-capacity hard drives with much larger storage capacity than the memory cards in the camera for instant back-up as images are captured. Compact and affordable, the WFT-E3A wireless transmitter also doubles as a vertical grip and requires its own BP-511A battery pack in addition to the battery installed in the camera body.
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2007
    I sent an email to the company that you linked to asking about this, here is what they said...
    Thank you for interested in our product.

We are working on the design of a new GPS device for Canon EOS 40d. It still have some problem need to solve and we will keep you update on this.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any queries or comments.