Options

How to shoot people on the street...

johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
edited March 2, 2005 in Street and Documentary
Ok, we all know we "shoot" people with cameras, so no crazy psyco people in this thread please.

My question is this... How can I take street shots of people without feeling like I am pointing a loaded gun at them? I guess I don't have the guts to walk up behind someone and wait for them to turn around and "CLICK" Like Andy's "emotion" shot #2. (btw andy great shot. he looks "glad" to be there.)

It's a shot like that, that makes me think he said something to the guy taking the picture... did he? what was it?

What kind of responses should I expect when taking peoples pics on the street? Any or none.

Is there an ethic to street shots of people?

Until I know, this is all I have.
johnolost.jpg
Me and my shadow :D

peace.
johno~

PS Yes Angelo, I guess I'm to chicken to point my camera at people. Help!
If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
johno's gallery

Comments

• Options
    amcamc Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    Johno... Candid street photography is my favorite stuff; unfortunately, I am a Certified Coward, so I don't do much of it, and when I do, I don't display the results publicly, because I know the first person to find it on the web will be the person I shot, who will invariably be a lawyer specializing in privacy issues, and one who has had a bad month for billings, or just hates people who write run-on sentences.

But the rare times I do this kind of thing, the technique I use is to grab the shot, and then quickly aim my camera slightly to the left or right of the subject, and look in that direction also. So by the time they see me--which is milliseconds after the shutter clangs--they assume I've taken a shot of something else near them. Sounds silly, but It has worked out pretty well....except when the 7' dude to the left or right of the subject comes after me.

I also have a couple of cameras with a split/swivel body....the Coolpix 950 and the SQ, and that makes things a bit easier. Life can be so much more pleasant when you're looking down.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    Use a camera. Do not use a gun. One is legal and the other is not. Other than that, yer on yer own. :D
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Use a camera. Do not use a gun. One is legal and the other is not. Other than that, yer on yer own. :D
    I concur with fish :D
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    No question it's a challenge. I think Andy says he has a word with them first. Seems to work for him, if true. I worry that talking to them might spoil the shot, so I hardly never do. I try to grab stuff fast and avoid eye contact. Often I'll immediately dive into the camera and chimp, and they seem to lose interest. I'm hopeful they think I have camera trouble.

I never keep the camera up when a street person is around. They'll assume you took their pic and they'll want money. Lots of hassle.

Legally, you need someone's signed permission if you sell the shot.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    JohnNo

I have done two things in the past. Asked for permission ahead of time if it wasn't going to ruin the shot, or I will take the shot (hopefully without them knowing) check it in the camera real quick and make sure its a decent shot, and then walk up to them, explain what I just did, show them the picture if they want, Give them my contact info and ask for theirs. Then I tell them if the shot turns out is it ok if I contact them so they can see if they like it and get a signed model release then. No point in paper work if the shot sucks right. Typically they are all to thrilled with this, most people don't feel they are interesting, so the fact that you found them interesting enough to photograph them (keep in mind this is only if the person will be recognizable in the shot) thrills them. Most of the time. If they hassle over what if you sell the shot etc, ill write in a little clause on the release saying that if I sell the shot or profit from it in any way they will get a percentage (smallest percentage I can get them to accept but don't make the first bid so small it's insulting) and at that point they are usually satisfied.

Hope this helps, and if I am doing something wrong in these steps and someone knows I am please let me know.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    I find it easier when ... there are a lot of busy people during lunch hours and nice weather afternoons.
    During special events ,outdoor concerts ,festivals ,etc.
    During tourist season if you live in a designated tourist area. Ever see Japanese tourists with cameras they photograph everybody and everything and nobody pays any real attention to them? Or any other tourist for that matter. Sometimes dressing the tourist part is a great incognito approach in so far that you feel protected by a basic tourism right rolleyes1.gif .

I feel funny if I have not taken people pictures in a while. The feeling goes away after I have done a few hours of it. The next day it seems natural and I will be clicking away without a care and pleasently smiling at gawkers.eek7.gifumph.gif
    I also feel funny if the streets are almost deserted and I point my camera at an individual. Then I go into stealth (read chicken) moderolleyes1.gif .

Tim
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    No question it's a challenge. I think Andy says he has a word with them first. Seems to work for him, if true. I worry that talking to them might spoil the shot, so I hardly never do. I try to grab stuff fast and avoid eye contact. Often I'll immediately dive into the camera and chimp, and they seem to lose interest. I'm hopeful they think I have camera trouble.

I never keep the camera up when a street person is around. They'll assume you took their pic and they'll want money. Lots of hassle.

OK.. First ethical answer. "If" you sell their pic, you need permission. Good to know... I don't plan on selling any of my pics.

Asking permission before you take the pic, I agree, seems to "miss" the moment.

I know while in SF Andy dropped a couple bucks into a street musicians hat after he took their pic.

I think I will try the "dive into the camera and chimp" thing... It sounds fun :D

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 1, 2005
    John:

3 simple words...

really long lens! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    john, your post here, got me off of my lazy butt and got me to complete a post i'd started a while ago, on street photography tips.

it's right here

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2005
    not tele, but wiiiiiiide
    Angelo wrote:
    John:

3 simple words...

really long lens! rolleyes1.gif

:lynn

see here and here
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2005
    wxwax wrote:

agree- in part. sometimes, asking can give you a great street portrait. sometimes, i grab and go, so to speak :D i do it both ways...
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2005
    Thanks Andy... This is great! It will take some time to digest.

peace.
    johno~
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    See this http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=5246

Yet it hasn't really stopped me, just made me reevaluate where to shoot candids and of whom. Some rules
    1. Silicon valley is a really uptight place
    2. Shooting children in quiet neighborhoods is a bad idea
    3. I've never had trouble shooting in very public places
    4. I've never had trouble shooting in my own neighborhood
    I like Andy's advice about using a wide lens. The less stealth the better.

I like the idea about having some cards made up that say something like "Portrait Photographer, by appointment" and have a print of one of your best in background or reverse. Then you say give the card and try to sell a portrait sitting.
    If not now, when?