Changing Nickname - Breaking Links ???

Packhorse-4Packhorse-4 Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
edited September 22, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I am considering changing my Smugmug nickname. I see that this will change my Smugmug address. If I decided to make this change I'm assuming this will break all of the links to any forum posts I have.

I just wanted to check and see if this was a correct assumption. :dunno

-- John

Comments

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 22, 2007
    I am considering changing my Smugmug nickname. I see that this will change my Smugmug address. If I decided to make this change I'm assuming this will break all of the links to any forum posts I have.

I just wanted to check and see if this was a correct assumption. ne_nau.gif

No it won't break your links, you will be fine. thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Packhorse-4Packhorse-4 Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    Oooh, that’s interesting. I thought the link I cut and paste into the forum thread was specific to my Smugmug address. For example
    ~MYPhotos.smugmug.com/photos/123456-L.jpg

If I change my nickname from MYPhotos to NEWNamePhotos wouldn’t that change the all of the links to my Smugmug pictures?

Yes, I realize you just answered this, but I just wanted to double check before I moved ahead.

I promise not to triple or quadruple check… FIVE is right out! :D

-- John

• RichardJohnRichardJohn Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    They'll still work, because if the wrong username is passed in the URL, SM just forwards to the correct gallery without a subdomain. The one thing that might not work is if you have a theme set on your gallery, users clicking hte old links might see the default theme. I'm not sure about that, though.
  • Packhorse-4Packhorse-4 Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    OK Great! I think I'll go ahead with the change to my Smugmug Nickname. Thanks again for your help. :ivar

-- John