Options

How can I setup ezprint color profile and Photoshop CS2 ??

net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
edited June 5, 2008 in Finishing School
I just had my Laptop screen calibrated using Spyder2Express, and it created a ICC profile for my screen. Well now I need to adjust some pics that have wrong color/contrast/brightness etc, and also work on future photos. The pics I send to my smugmug site, will then be printed for customers...so color accuracy is vital when prints are sent to customers.

So here's what I need some help in doing, setup my profiles to work in Photoshop CS2. I need to have Photoshop CS2 use my new Spyder2Express laptop profile, and the ezprint.icc(?) so the pics are (closely) the same on my screen and smugmug printers. How do I integrate monitor ICC and ezprint ICC files when working in Photoshop?

Is there a 'Monitor ICC>Photo>Photoshop>Ezprinters guide?

(My Camera uses RGB IEC96....etc, and Photoshop was the same profile as its working space. Then I would save each pics embedded profile as ICC sRGB-IEC96...but never knew what I was doing was messing each one up.)
Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2007
    net1994 wrote:
    Is there a 'Monitor ICC>Photo>Photoshop>Ezprinters guide?

See this Smugmug help page on downloading the EzPrints ICC profile and installing it into Photoshop, then using it to soft proof.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    net1994 wrote:
    So here's what I need some help in doing, setup my profiles to work in Photoshop CS2.

The host software should place the display profile in the right location for you and set it as the default. There's noting more you have to do. IF you want to ensure that Photoshop is using this for previews, go into your Color Settings. Click on the RGB working space popup menu and examine the list of profiles. At the top you'll see Monitor: XXX where XXX is the name of the profile you just saved. DO NOT SELECT THIS! This is only to show you that Photoshop is using it for previews.

You now need the output profile for the printing process so you can setup a Custome Proof Setup (under View) so you can see the simulation based on that output device.
    (My Camera uses RGB IEC96....etc, and Photoshop was the same profile as its working space. Then I would save each pics embedded profile as ICC sRGB-IEC96...but never knew what I was doing was messing each one up.)

That should be fine. However, the working space is used for editing your images. So sRGB isn't the output color space for the printing process. You need the printer profile for that. This provides the soft proof simulation mentioned above AND the correct RGB numbers for the printer you will send the document to.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    And on Dgrin navbar, "tutorials" takes you here:
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1123524

thumb.gif
  • Options
    net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    Can I have in photoshop the ezprint proof view on all the time? This way I don't have to work on a photo for 30 minutes, getting ready to save and before I do check the 'Proof View' and its all wrong. It will be 'real time proofing.'

Would this be the same as using ezprint.icc as a working space?
    Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com
  • Options
    SweeperSweeper Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    Well, it is very late in this long day. But, there must be a simpler way to get a photo from the camera, send it to PSP or PS for modification, then send it to a printer like an Epson R-800, which will produce a photo on paper that is reasonably close to what you see on a monitor.

I have have made umpteen different attempts to get it right. All failures. Photos are just too dark or there is a very unwanted colour cast spewed on a simple 4x6 Epson paper.

Not sure what, but something is failing between camera and paper.

Now just to spend another week doing the trial and error thing to get it right.

...Steve
    Tax Me !!
    I'm Canadian, eh.
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2007
    Sweeper wrote:
    Well, it is very late in this long day. But, there must be a simpler way to get a photo from the camera, send it to PSP or PS for modification, then send it to a printer like an Epson R-800, which will produce a photo on paper that is reasonably close to what you see on a monitor.

I have have made umpteen different attempts to get it right. All failures. Photos are just too dark or there is a very unwanted colour cast spewed on a simple 4x6 Epson paper.

Not sure what, but something is failing between camera and paper.

Now just to spend another week doing the trial and error thing to get it right.

...Steve

If you have a calibrated monitor (using a hardware calibrator) and you have a print driver that knows about the exact kind of paper you are using and you don't have extreme colors that your printer can't print, it should be easy to get prints at home to match your screen. There's is no magic or trial and error required.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    SweeperSweeper Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    jfriend wrote:
    If you have a calibrated monitor (using a hardware calibrator) and you have a print driver that knows about the exact kind of paper you are using and you don't have extreme colors that your printer can't print, it should be easy to get prints at home to match your screen. There's is no magic or trial and error required.

Exactly... however, I use PSP from Corel (formerly "Jasc") and have calibrated the monitor using their software based program. The photos are showing up in emails and as well here on Smug via other monitors with no problems at all. The problem is in the printed product. I have the latest Epson drivers installed for the R-800 re papers I use so there should not be issues such as I am encountering. Does anyone else use PSP and a 22" flat screen monitor? I need to know the setup proceedures from stage 1 in regards to icc profiles. The more I read into this, the more convoluted it all gets. I notice that there is little mention in any thread regarding Paint Shop Pro and yet it, along with "Painter" from Corel is far more advanced than PS (from my perspective anyway) at a mere fraction of the cost.

I will be attending Henrys Photo convention in Ottawa this fall, and will be purchasing either a Huey or a Spyder, so hopefully one of them will help in my quest for the perfect printed pic.

In the meantime, any help is greatly appreciated !!

...Steve
    Tax Me !!
    I'm Canadian, eh.
  • Options
    Sweeper wrote:
    Exactly... however, I use PSP from Corel (formerly "Jasc") and have calibrated the monitor using their software based program. The photos are showing up in emails and as well here on Smug via other monitors with no problems at all. The problem is in the printed product. I have the latest Epson drivers installed for the R-800 re papers I use so there should not be issues such as I am encountering. Does anyone else use PSP and a 22" flat screen monitor? I need to know the setup proceedures from stage 1 in regards to icc profiles. The more I read into this, the more convoluted it all gets. I notice that there is little mention in any thread regarding Paint Shop Pro and yet it, along with "Painter" from Corel is far more advanced than PS (from my perspective anyway) at a mere fraction of the cost.

I will be attending Henrys Photo convention in Ottawa this fall, and will be purchasing either a Huey or a Spyder, so hopefully one of them will help in my quest for the perfect printed pic.

In the meantime, any help is greatly appreciated !!

...Steve

I've had lousy experiences with software-based calibration programs. They just never worked for me (I tried using Adobe's). I know own a hardware-based system (Eye-One Display from GretagMacbeth).

Do you also realize that you not only need thhe right print drivers, but you also need to have the manufacturers profiles for the paper you're using and select that exact paper in the print dialog before printing?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    TexPhotogTexPhotog Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    net1994 wrote:
    Can I have in photoshop the ezprint proof view on all the time? This way I don't have to work on a photo for 30 minutes, getting ready to save and before I do check the 'Proof View' and its all wrong. It will be 'real time proofing.'

Would this be the same as using ezprint.icc as a working space?

I have the same questions and it seems no one answered it...

If I am using Corel PSP XI, can I just load the ezprint profile and use that when I do any type of edits to my photos???

I noticed that when I use the default setting on PSP, my whites look white, but when I load the ezprint profile, the whites look offwhite (cream or light tan maybe)??? It would make sense to edit to the ezprint profile, that way the photos will be edited to match the printers as close as possible... right???? headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

And just for background info, I do not have a calibrated monitor on my Dell laptop, although it is a 17 inch screen - I'm poor, can't afford calibration hardware... yet.

Thanks in advance for the help, input, comments and/or other responses :D
    Miguel
    www.kabestudios.com
    I use a little bit of everything gear wise...
    Nikon/Canon/Sony/GoPro/Insta360º/Mavic 2 Pro