Options

Some dust

BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
edited March 7, 2005 in Cameras
I noticed with my 20D there seems to be a speck of dust right in the middle of the image when I look through the viewfinder, I thought it was on the sensor so I cleaned up the lenses and such and it's still there. I then looked at some of my pics and notice there was no dust speck showing, I even did the big blue sky test. Any idea where it could be?

Comments

• Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    It sounds like what your seeing is on the view screen.

Dust gets in there and its difficult to remove.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    You cleaned the viewfinder piece as well?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    Veiwfinder dust for sure. I have had it on cameras before. It is very annouying only way I ever new to take care of it was send it in for repair.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    You may be able to use a blower bulb to blow air on the bottom of the viewfinder. If you pull the lens off and look up inside the body, you will see where the light path goes to the view finder. Blow off that part. If you are fortunate, that is where the speck is. That is where mine usually show up.

BBones wrote:
    I noticed with my 20D there seems to be a speck of dust right in the middle of the image when I look through the viewfinder, I thought it was on the sensor so I cleaned up the lenses and such and it's still there. I then looked at some of my pics and notice there was no dust speck showing, I even did the big blue sky test. Any idea where it could be?
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    You may be able to use a blower bulb to blow air on the bottom of the viewfinder. If you pull the lens off and look up inside the body, you will see where the light path goes to the view finder. Blow off that part. If you are fortunate, that is where the speck is. That is where mine usually show up.
    Shay,you must be one lucky guy.Every time I have used a blower,it has made things worse.
  • Options
    BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    I've heard too many horror stories about blowers, I'll just "suffer" for now, the race season starts in 3 weeks and I still need to get used to this beast
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    do not despair, these bunnies come and go on the viewfinder, sometimes on the mirror, too. a quick blow usually does the trick for me. ignoring it does the trick even better lol3.gif
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    While you probably also have dust and spooge on your sensor, the dust that you are seeing is probably on the mirror. This is a perfect application for your $90 Sensor Brushes. nod.gif

It's possible there's some in the VF, but it would be blurry to your eye. Neither affects the image quality.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    andy wrote:
    a quick blow usually does the trick for me.

undoubtedly. mwink.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    fish wrote:
    undoubtedly. mwink.gif
    :giggle
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 7, 2005
    BBones wrote:

If you can see the speck or string clearly through the viewfinder, but it is not seen in your images, then it has to be on the underside of the pentaprism - what folks are calling the viewfinder screen. Like Fish said, I think a visible dust brush will remove it - 0r a GENTLE puff from a rocket blower might also work too. But like Andy said - since it is not in your final image you can just safely ignore it.

I noticed three separate peices of gruck like that on my 20D, but it does not show in my RAW images so I just ignore it for now. :):
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin