More Gymnastics "Snapshots"

Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
edited September 26, 2007 in Sports
Just got my new 5D Thursday. What a difference between my old 300D and the 5D! I'm still a landscape guy...but I'm having fun taking pics of my kids. Maybe next year I'll have to go and get some faster glass. For now, my wife loves the snapshots.

_MG_0086_post.jpg

_MG_0096_post.jpg

_MG_0104_post.jpg

_MG_0154_post.jpg

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2007
    Yeah!
    Vertical format works better, no?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    I like the second shot. Got a nice shadow too. Maybe crop a tad bit off the
    bottom?

On the first one, I think you're close. But cutting off the limbs (hand) and
    having the foot so close to the edge of the frame is what hurts it.

Nice job!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    Icebear -
    Yes, much better! Thanks for the suggestion!

Ian -
    I wasn't going to post the first one...but it was one of my better shots even if I cropped her hand/foot! As her routine started, I had some many people start moving in front of my lens...it was insane!

The season is almost over....so I need to just practice this year and start asking my wife to upgrade my 70-200 f/4 to a f/2.8 for next year...thumb.gif

Thanks for the feedback!
  • ppriorpprior Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    Icebear -
    Yes, much better! Thanks for the suggestion!

Ian -
    I wasn't going to post the first one...but it was one of my better shots even if I cropped her hand/foot! As her routine started, I had some many people start moving in front of my lens...it was insane!

The season is almost over....so I need to just practice this year and start asking my wife to upgrade my 70-200 f/4 to a f/2.8 for next year...thumb.gif

Thanks for the feedback!

Hey Mike, save the money on the 2.8 and just got for the 135/F2 - with the 5D you've got some pixel crop ability and it will give you better pictures and work faster under low light than the 70-200/2.8. I own both, though just starting gymnastics shoots as my girl is on team for the 1st time this year. The 135 is an AMAZING piece of glass, and I say that owning 4 other L lenses.

Cheers.
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2007
    Keep it up, Mike. You'll only get better with more practice. It'd be nice when you can upgrade to a faster lens. Keep in mind that faster lens also means heavier weight, so a monopod is highly recommended unless you're into endurance weight training. Mobility is usually an issue at these meets so a zoom lens definitely gives you much more flexibility with reach and coverage. I've found that floor exercise and balance beam events yield the most keepers since these routines last longer and not as dynamic as the vault and uneven bars routines. Parents are normally not allowed in the competition area so you can't cover all the rotations with your desired vantage point. Depending on the layout of the gym, try to pick an event that gives you the best chance and opportunity for good pictures. Hope to see more of your work as the season progresses.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2007
    yukio wrote:
    Keep it up, Mike. You'll only get better with more practice. It'd be nice when you can upgrade to a faster lens. Keep in mind that faster lens also means heavier weight, so a monopod is highly recommended unless you're into endurance weight training. Mobility is usually an issue at these meets so a zoom lens definitely gives you much more flexibility with reach and coverage. I've found that floor exercise and balance beam events yield the most keepers since these routines last longer and not as dynamic as the vault and uneven bars routines. Parents are normally not allowed in the competition area so you can't cover all the rotations with your desired vantage point. Depending on the layout of the gym, try to pick an event that gives you the best chance and opportunity for good pictures. Hope to see more of your work as the season progresses.

Cuong

Mobility is an issue for sure, because I'm in a wheelchair. So wants I find a good spot I have to stay put. On the flip side...I can always get the good spots because of my wheelchair. I used my tripod as a monopod. I justed opened the legs and didn't extend the legs, then extended the center pole to suit my taste. It seems to work with me.

Thanks for the tips/comments! thumb.gif