First day of Fall but Snowy in Arizona

PrescottPhotogPrescottPhotog Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
edited September 27, 2007 in Wildlife
Hi Everyone,

I had fun with these guys yesterday. Very early morning shots. I'm sure they're just passing through but there was a bunch of them.. and one Great Egret too.

I'm all caught up posting my photos and it rained all day today so I'm not sure what tomorrow will bring. I wish those Bald and Juvie Eagles that keep soaring high over the lakes would drop down near the water.. I'm jealous of all the guys that have been to Alaska, but I love your bear and eagle shots !!

All shot with a M3 and a 500mm on a monopod. Hope you enjoy.

se_1.jpg
se_2.jpg
se_3.jpg
se_4.jpg
se_5.jpg
se_6.jpg
se_7.jpg
se_8.jpg
#9 (and one Great Egret)
se_9.jpg
'
Prescott Photog, Chris - " One Shot, One Still "
'
Canon CPS Member
SmugMug Pro User - www.PrescottOutdoors.net
NAPP Member..Click for Info

Comments

• raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2007
    Nice collection of egrets! thumb.gif
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    excellent seriesclap.gif
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • ShasocShasoc Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    Very nice set of images. thumb.gif
    Socrate
    "Natura artis magistra"
  • PrescottPhotogPrescottPhotog Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    Nice collection of egrets! thumb.gif

Hi Glenn, Thanks for viewing. I was at the lake today and got some more great shots of these guys that I will post. I counted 6 or more today and the one Great Egret that has been hanging around for a couple months.
    '
    '
    Canon CPS Member
    dbaker1221 wrote:
    excellent seriesclap.gif

Hi Dave, Thanks for taking a look and for your comments.
    '
    '
    Canon CPS Member
    Shasoc wrote:
    Very nice set of images. thumb.gif

Hi Socrate, Thanks for your comments on the set of photos.
    '
    '
    Canon CPS Member
  • riddim_makerriddim_maker Registered Users Posts: 1,835 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2007
    Great series Chrisclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    I can tell you were having a ballthumb.gif
    Russ
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2007
    Excellent snowy captures. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited September 26, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    Excellent snowy captures. thumb.gif

Hi Harry, Thanks for your comments. I took these on Sunday. Saturday it rained all day, we got about 1.5 inches. The lake actually came up a few inches which for some reason created better feeding along the shoreline for the Snowy's. They were literally running all over the place catching critters. It was like a feeding frenzy for them and they didn't seem to mind me being there (which is odd for our area). They had to be totally stuffed by the end of the day.
    '
    '
    Canon CPS Member
  • GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2007
    Great shots clap.gif

How close do most of you guys actually manage to get to the birds? And do you tend to find a place and then sit there and wait for the birds to come into your shooting space?
    edited September 27, 2007
    Giphsub wrote:
    Great shots clap.gif

How close do most of you guys actually manage to get to the birds? And do you tend to find a place and then sit there and wait for the birds to come into your shooting space?

Hi Giphsub. I think you will find everyplace is different. In some areas the birds are very used to being around people and you can almost walk up to them. In other areas (like where I live) it is wide open, very little cover for the birds or people, the birds are very skiddish. I used to try to sneak up on the birds and that never worked, they see you coming for a mile. And then there are the watchdog birds (ducks) that start yacking as soon as they see something move, which alerts all the other birds.

What I found works best in my area is to just walk out to the lake (no cover to hide me while I am getting there so every bird scatters and disappears). I find a good spot for morning sun and a different one for evening sun. But you have to change your spot pretty often because they have good memories and you will find them looking for you as they fly near.

I get set up under my camo gear and wait. Pretty soon the birds get spooked by something else and scatter again and start coming back to the area I am at. Sometimes you get lucky and they land close and other times (most of the time around here) they just fly by. But if you can sit there long enough and your camo is good enough and you are quiet enough they will forget where you are and start landing right near you.

As you will notice from all the different posts on D-Grin some locations have heavy cover (we don't). Some have heavy wooded areas for the birds to land in the trees (we don't at the lake, that is why 90% of my shots have nothing but blue sky for background) but we have a national forest all around us. And some are wetlands or swamps which offer great photo opportunities.. but also problems getting to the wildlife to shoot them. It also depends on the time of year and the migration pattern. At times I have sat for 6 hours and never pushed the shutter and other times I come home with 200 shots.

It takes a while to figure out your area or where to go but when you do you will get great shots in areas you can keep going back to over and over. The key is to not give up and keep trying different techniques.

Good Luck !!! Hope this helps, it works in my area for me.
    '
    '
    Canon CPS Member
  • GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    Hey Chris (did I get that right?)

Thanks for the detailed reply! 6 hours in one spot!? Sheesh! And camo gear? I guess there is still a whole nother level or ten for me to move up! What exactly do you use for camo gear? I'm pretty lucky here in Japan for range of places to shoot. Some offer a lot of cover, but the place I have been hitting recently is wide open. Most of the birds will fly away at the slightest sound of a fart too! Guard dog ducks?!rolleyes1.gif I had them bark all the other birds away on me yestedray too! I know exactly what you mean. Hehehe. Anyway, thanks for the response.

Mike
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    Personally, I think this is one of your best series. I love the eye contact and the handling of the exposure with the white feathers.