Options

Moon with 40D

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited September 24, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
I could not pass the pleasure of getting 10Mp shot of the moon. Here is 100% crop:

199152011-O.jpg

Canon 40D + EF 100-400 at 400mm + TCx1.4
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2007
    Hi Nik, you've been busy with your new 40D's. I've never taken a photo of the moon except during an eclipse. Your photo above, is it a B&W or does the moon really have no discernible colour? How many shots did you need to get one so clear?
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    eek7.gif In past i use to spot one or 2 aliens. But with d40 i can even see you there eek7.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    salazar wrote:
    Hi Nik, you've been busy with your new 40D's. I've never taken a photo of the moon except during an eclipse. Your photo above, is it a B&W or does the moon really have no discernible colour? How many shots did you need to get one so clear?
    Yeah, I need to learn the gear before I use it at Glacier:-)

Moon color is GREATLY affected by the atmosphere. But, as I specified in my Green Flash post, last night we had exquisitely clear air, you could see for 70-100 miles. With this shot I only tweaked the saturation a bit to kill the color noise, but it was pretty much this totally neutral image right off the bat (the histogram was purely white, i.e. all the channels were identical)

I usually take several shots (3-5-10) just to make sure. I also refocus after 1-2. Focusing is the primary issue with the moon shots. Since it's my driveway, I shoot, go back, upload, verify on a big screen, if I don't like it - I shoot again. Originally it could take like 20 shots to get a cream puff, now it's usually 3-5 and they are pretty much all the same.

HTH
  • Options
    Awais,
    eek7.gif In past i use to spot one or 2 aliens. But with d40 i can even see you there eek7.gif
    Laughing.gif, thank you my friend! thumb.gif
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 24, 2007
    Very nice, Nikolai. Did you take this on the 22nd or the 23rd? Two things seem curious. The moon looks elongated horizontally. It's not round. Second, compared to the shots I took tonight, yours is flipped horizontally. So it's a mirror image of mine. Very curious.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    Joel,
    kdog wrote:
    Very nice, Nikolai. Did you take this on the 22nd or the 23rd? Two things seem curious. The moon looks elongated horizontally. It's not round. Second, compared to the shots I took tonight, yours is flipped horizontally. So it's a mirror image of mine. Very curious.

Cheers,
    -joel

Thanks! thumb.gif

It was taken last night, just after midnight.

Re: elongation.
    I like rotating non-full moon so it fits the frame, also makes it more dramatic, since you never see it this way. But other than that I didn't reshape it. deal.gif

Re: mirror. Bingo.thumb.gif
    It's flipped, not only rotated. Wanted to have some fun, too:-) mwink.gif
  • Options
    riz_satriz_sat Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    it looks like a
    golf ball hehe
    but that is
    spherical anyways
    nice work :D
  • Options